Gillette blades and their factory/country origins

What exactly is the concrete evidence Gillette makes this? I am a Doubting Thomas. :confused:
It's a curious one ... and the internet has indeed "forgotten". While the tuck and wrapper does not bear the word "Gillette" the packaging of their Super-Click style razor back in 2016 certainly did.

It was such a standout shave and not until I tried a Super Blue that I was reminded of them. Yes, it's 5 years between each blade, but I swear the Rhino must have been a prototype or market tester for what became the Super Blue. If Gillette did not make it then they squashed some serious competition as it was beyond most that they were producing at the time - right up there with the Thai Super Thin, but just miles better.

So, nothing concrete today ... but in 2016 the internet had a boon of suppliers, packs, kits and associated pictures. Remember back in 2016, buying in from China was still a fledgling activity for us westerners.

The other thing to consider is whether it was a "grey" blade. Brand owners the world over bemoan bootleg and grey supplies of their products, often not copies at all but the self-same factories over-producing by a few thousand. It's the exact same product but put out under a similar name. In this case, I'm puzzled because Gillette did not have a blade anywhere close. Unless is was indeed a prototype or market tester.

But again, blister packed razor and blade combos (like the Super-Click) were plentiful at the time and most definitely bore the Gillette brand. Chinese Gillettes were not much "a thing" back then ... remember, the most we knew at the time was the Thai, Malay and Indonesian market brands like Super Thin and Nacet. Then we find oddities like the Jianyi turning up bearing the "Shanghai" stamp on the blade.

Last edited:
The Gillette Stainless (red & white pack) picture below is no longer in production and is made from Russia in ST. Petersburg FYI

41-B16-B8-D-E554-44-F4-AB82-D94822441275.jpg

The Gillette Stainless (red & white pack) picture below is no longer in production and is made from Russia in ST. Petersburg FYI

41-B16-B8-D-E554-44-F4-AB82-D94822441275.jpg

Wow, what a collection! Those blades are seldom seen now.

Have you used the new Minora Stainless? I've read a few reports in suggesting it is close to the performance of the PPI Stainless Red.

Also, @SpeedyPC

I can't remember where I saw it (maybe ATG), you did a list of blades you tried (lots of Gillettes) ranked in order of sharpness, with the Astra SP. Could you post it here if you get the chance? I remember seeing it and thinking it was pretty good, of course YMMV but a good list nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom