flat caps

The Bond is a beauty and I quite like the Croft as well. I have a Big Bond which is the oversized, old fashioned style. Fancy me a Tweed Trilby next!

E4.jpg

harris tweed cap for Gawlf...dont you know...downside is it gets too hot at times....best thing is i can shove it in me bag and comes out as new...no creases

trilby next tho...might as well look like a dick completely trying to play

Just got an M&S flat cap at the moment. Have trouble finding one to fit me fat head... although it's a bit easier now that there's less hair in the way. Tried the Gentlemen's Outfitters in town, but they only went up to "enormous"... cut off the blood supply to me brain.

WiffWaff said:
Just got an M&S flat cap at the moment. Have trouble finding one to fit me fat head... although it's a bit easier now that there's less hair in the way. Tried the Gentlemen's Outfitters in town, but they only went up to "enormous"... cut off the blood supply to me brain.

I had the same problem - in the end, an XL-size cap from an outfitters in Wymondham fitted nicely. I needed it for the Goodwood Revival historic motor-racing event (whenever I've mentioned going to Goodwood to people, they assume it's for horse racing, in which I have absolutely no interest whatsoever). In order to get into the paddock to get up close to some stunning racing machinery, smell the blend of racing fuel and Castrol R (if one of the scent people brought-out a racing-fuel-and-Castrol-R EdT, I'd buy it), you have to be dressed appropriately, preferably in period gear (1948-1966).

I've got a Barbour Waxed Cotton one which is, at the moment, waiting to be re-proofed. It stood the test of the British weather for about 5 years before it's "water resistance" started to crumble. I moved to a Barbour waxed cotton baseball cap recently though as its better at keeping the rain off my specs which is an essential.

I've a couple of Jaxon's as well which are cheap to buy but well made from quality materials.

WiffWaff said:
Count of Undolpho said:
its better at keeping the rain off my specs which is an essential.

That's quite high on my list of priorities
I no longer own any hats without a peak of whatever size. The whole blurry vision thing is a pain especially at night. That's the problem with most flat caps, small brims.
It does add an extra dimension to finding a hat that doesn't make you look like a plank!
My favourites of the moment are -

WC Barbour baseball cap mentioned above
GI spec wool Jeep cap - (peaked beanie)
Sheepskin Trapper - the old style rather than the pilot style
Jaxon's Leather Safari Fedora - which is for severe wet weather, walking and the allotment only. I can't take all the Indiana Jones/Cowboy comments!

I'm at present debating a Wax Cotton bucket hat or Tilley TWC5 or TWC7 - no need for a hood, dry glasses and a dry collar are all plus points. I really need to try before I buy though.

Sorry to stray off topic.

Hmm, my Barbour wax cotton flat cap shrunk after about 5-6 six years regular and sometimes heavy usage. It was a good hat but is currently residing on Sammy the Snowman out the back! Ultimately, it's not as good as my Olney. I also have the large bonce problem which is one of the reasons I plumped for an Olney: my hat size is 7 5/8 or 62mm. Olney can go larger still, I believe.

My trusty Breton cap assists in keeping the old specs clearish of rain & in my befogged old mind makes me feel a wee bit smarter & well turned out than a flat cap. Now, if they only sold a Breton with a cheesecutter peak how cool would that be !

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Even taking the small and unrepresentative sample on this discussion so far... it seems like a lot of us have fat heads and you'd think the hat manufacturers would take note.

Or it may just be that we have larger capacity brains... which leads us to take considered judgments on the efficacy of traditional shaving (for example).

Anyway.. I'm going to measure my bonce and get on the Olney website, I think

Back
Top Bottom