First SE shave OUCH!

Cheers I must admit I do not know I have been given a place to buy the blades and will be ordering some on payday. It's really annoying I need to shave and after yesterday's result know I shouldn't shave today!

Hi, I have tried, straight razors/injectors and S.E. razors and even after giving them a good chance I found that I could not get on with them at all. So I stick with my D.E razors. Sometimes things don't work for you, but you have got some good advise from users of S.E razors so stick at it and you will soon find out if they are for you. As far as shaving today use a razor you know well if you have to shave, but if you can, give it a day or 2 before shaving again. Good luck with the rest of your journey into S.E's if that is the way you want to go and remember it takes time to master a new razor let alone a new type of razor.

Hi mate,

Sorry to see you had such an obviously unpleasant experience with your SE. I think I read somewhere that the 1914 pattern razor is particularly unforgiving. I use Gem stainless blades from Paul at Connaught shaving, and have never had a problem like that with any of my SE razors. If I were you, I would steer clear of the OC Micromatic for a bit, although I've not used mine in a while, it scared the pants off me the first time I tried after my 1912 razor!

I found a load of useful information on some US forums, which helped me when I started out. By the way, I can send you some blades if that helps - no charge or strings attached :icon_razz:

Anyway, best wishes for your adventures in SE shaving.

Gordon

Thanks. I will post pictures tonight of the 3 SE razors I have. I am not good at identifying them I know I the ever ready had on patented 24 14. I also have a gem junior no idea of year. And today have taken delivery of another ever ready with patent pending on it. May try that next time?

Hey Woodacre - apologies for the tone of my post - for some reason I thought your pictures were taken directly after the shave.

- Anyway to sum up the advice:
- Try and make sure that the blade is from a reputable supplier.
- Make sure that it is properly seated in the razor and that the edge is even.
Use very light pressure and a low angle - your problems appear to be under your chin rather than cheeks so its possible that the angle was a bit wrong. Do you remember whether the problem was with the grain or against? Again this may give you a clue on the angle.
- If you feel the same problem happening (and I would have thought you must have been aware) then stop and revert to a DE as it's possible you have a problem razor.

Best of luck

No problem I have now got 3 SE razors so will post ten an try them all. The problem I am sure is the angle I am using. I have checked the blade sits right. Well at least to the best of my knowledge it is. The problem start started on the second pass wtg and then worsened on the 3rd pass xtg I shouldn't of done that pass. I have shaved again today avoiding the under chin area and feel it went slightly better.

Man that looks painful!!! but stick with it. All the help you will get from the lads here
will see you right in the end.There is a welth of knowlege within this forum it will
be your friend.;)

Chris

Woodacre1983 said:
Ok I need some help here! just bought my first SE razors I have got a Ever Ready from 1914 and a GEM Junior. I have just had my first shave and the results are shown below, and it is painful!

I am not sure what went wrong, I am used to using a DE and have never had this! I could really use a guide to SE razors and certainly some advice!

Hi there,

Good to see you stuck around. Now keep in mind I'm not being totally serious in my post......ok? Got it?

So I gotta say, I think you did very well for your first shave! Yeah those pics looks pretty much like most SE users faces when forced by some demon to shave with those damn things. No offense meant to any SE loonies of course. Poor bastards are stuck using blades labeled 'not fit for human consumption'.

Yeah....all that blood in your pic? Hah, those are what the SE guys call 'tiny weepers'. Pretty funny eh?

Martin

I havent used a SE razor yet. I am still trying to master a DE.

I will admit I made a mess of my face quite a few times very much as you have in my earlier shaves.
Patience and less pressure is what I have found for me DE shaving.

Try doing just your cheeks, get those right first and finish of the shave with your old method until you get the basics right.

Drop me a pm if you need.

HEHEHEHEHE, if you think think that looks bad you should have seen the first time I used a cut-throat, not a pleasant experience at all!!! I wish I had seen this place at the time as it could have saved me a lot of pain and blood. I have absolutely no experience of the equipment you are using, but it sounds like you are getting the angle wrong, it can be harder to judge on the throat area when the head is tilted back and as your cheeks are ok I would think that is where the problem is.
Leave your face and stubble alone for a couple of days at least, get plenty moisturiser on it and try again in a few days. Pick a part of the day where you can relax and take your time, even if it takes two hours. Don't bother with more than two passes and keep with the grain. Preparation is the key, get in the right frame of mind beforehand by relaxing, treat your skin, put some cool music on and spend plenty time getting the lather on with the brush, get some coffee or whatever floats your boat and let it all soak in. Get the water in the sink piping hot and go for it, slow and steady will do the trick. Rinse the blade after every pass and re-apply soap/cream where needed. After a few months of that it will all become second nature, things will speed up and get more comfortable on their own

Hey anyone,

Who was the member that joined maybe 4-5 months ago and posted all those gruesome photos.....all in a row. Oh jeeez, now that guy did look like he was uncomfortable. Man, we had some fun with him.......nice guy actually. He had a good sense of humor.

Well, maybe he ended up being better off somehow for hanging out here for a short but amusing while. Heck was his name?
Thanks

Quick update. Having swapped to a note SE that I have got I am experiencing a far better shave fantastically close and the irritation I was experiencing is massively reduced I am still having some issue getting the shave as close as everywhere else on the under side of the neck I know this is due to the angle I am not using.
Now I have 2 questions
1. How many shaves on average for an SE blade?
2. Do I retry the offending razor an try and master it? And how can I tell of it is damaged? Or blade fitted incorrectly it is sitting under the 2 lips at the front like people have asked.

3-4 shaves p/blade as a rule.

I would continue with the SE you are having some success with. If you dont see any improvement either accept it for what it is or stop using it.

Post some pics with the blade in position if you have any doubts about its position.

Keep going with the new razor, concentrate on getting you technique perfected, this will get you a smooth shave including the neck area. When I started de shaving, my neck always had some stubble. I can get a good clean shave all over the neck area, occasionally if I'm in a rush, the neck may have a few missed hairs, no biggi, as I shave the following day.

Woodacre1983 said:
Quick update. Having swapped to a note SE that I have got I am experiencing a far better shave fantastically close and the irritation I was experiencing is massively reduced I am still having some issue getting the shave as close as everywhere else on the under side of the neck I know this is due to the angle I am not using.
Now I have 2 questions
1. How many shaves on average for an SE blade?
2. Do I retry the offending razor an try and master it? And how can I tell of it is damaged? Or blade fitted incorrectly it is sitting under the 2 lips at the front like people have asked.

1) I get 4 or 5 shaves with a GEM. Could get more, however that's when I start to feel a wee bit tugging on the skin. So, for the cost of a blade I just fit a new one.
2) If it was me I'd get hold of that bad boy who sliced you & tuck him happily away in a drawer for future reference. I know that you'll not be beaten by a mere piece of kit, however now is maybe not the time to show it who's The Boss. You're coming to terms with a nice SE you like & I'd suggest not changing anything at the moment until you get truly at ease with it.
3) As so many others have advised when you do change anything just make it one thing at a time and plse do give it a few days to settle in.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom