First SE shave OUCH!

Ok I need some help here! just bought my first SE razors I have got a Ever Ready from 1914 and a GEM Junior. I have just had my first shave and the results are shown below, and it is painful!

2nt8r9j.jpg

I am not sure what went wrong, I am used to using a DE and have never had this! I could really use a guide to SE razors and certainly some advice!

Nasty. My first shave was like that. I hadn't got the blade resting under the blade rests at each corner on my Ever Ready 1912. check that. Also, you want the blade to be at quite a shallow angle; ideally best flat. Then a very gentle stroke should work well. Good luck!

There is absolutely no evidence of shaving soap here - what did you do for preparation? However, assuming you did put some kind of soap on your face before applying the blade - maybe you should check that the blade is seated properly. Everyone on this forum is about to give you the same answer - pressure is the key, do not use any.

There is no evidence of shaving soap as my face has been washed in cold water patted dry and then a picture taken.

I am here to learn and ask advice. The way your replies have come out rob makes me think I am better looking elsewhere for advice I seem to have annoyed you in some way and for this I am sorry.

That looks painful mate.

Do you know how old the blade you used was at all?

I've sometimes found that older blades do tend to cause problems than newer blades.

I've found in general that all of the SE's I've shaved with tend not to give as good a result as a DE as I've found the blades to be a tad duller but then I do like shaving with very sharp blades. I would say that SE blades are middle of the road in terms of sharpness and this may be part of the issue.

How many passes did you do? It might be worth limiting it to one or two and then finishing off with a DE until you get used to the way n which they handle differently.

There's also the option of the injector blade which is a different beast altogether and the PAL adjustable we spoke about via might be a good way forward.

All I can say, though, is to persevere as SE's are different to DE's and take a bit of getting used to.

The blade was opened to today don't know when it was bought though. I do think it was the angle of the razor but would like some help other than bin it and use shaving soap!
I must thank you for the decent and polite reply!

That was with 3 passes and 2 was wtg and one across

You could well be onto to something regarding the angle of the razor.

I've found most SE's to be a bit more cumbersome than a DE (apart from an Ever Ready 1912 I have with a shorter handle which feels more manoeuvrable than the other 1912's I've tried and the PAL adjustable which is shaped like a modern cartridge razor).

I've never used an Ever Ready 1914 or GEM Junior so can't comment much more than this.

The GEM OCMM we spoke about as well may, because of it's open comb nature, may also offer a different experience (I can't say if that will necessarily be for the better or not though).

It might also be worth seeing how things go after after the WTG passes and then, once your technique is working fine, add in an XtG pass in order to see if that causes a problem or not.

Woodacre1983 said:
There is no evidence of shaving soap as my face has been washed in cold water patted dry and then a picture taken.

I am here to learn and ask advice. The way your replies have come out rob makes me think I am better looking elsewhere for advice I seem to have annoyed you in some way and for this I am sorry.

I think you might have misunderstood what rob meant. I don't think he was having a go, merely stating an opinion, and the last half of the post was helpful.

Best of luck learning, I'm trying to pick up me straight again to learn, but I wonder if I can be bothered with the learning curve!

Woodacre1983 said:
The blade was opened to today don't know when it was bought though. I do think it was the angle of the razor but would like some help other than bin it and use shaving soap!
I must thank you for the decent and polite reply!

That was with 3 passes and 2 was wtg and one across

Keep the razor head flat against your face, and use no pressure/light touch. That should do the trick. Which blade are you using?

Back
Top Bottom