Feather Artist Club

I think "Kamisori" style or folding Feathers, Kais and the others (Greager, CJB, Sam Seong) are probably too different from straights. Straights are probably more forgiving and, as the man says:
"SEs, DEs and Injectors are all about prep, straight razors are all about cutlery".
I've been using the Greager with the regular, professional and guard blades, with great success, but on the few occasions I've used a straight, they felt very different. (and if somebody can get more than 5 close comfortable shaves out of a Feather SE then I'd like to meet that man and see how long his beard is)
+ 1..Yeah That..I Don't get any More than that Out a Feather Pro in a Safety Razor..I Used to Dump them After 2 or 3 Shaves in the Artist Club..:D

Billy

I think "Kamisori" style or folding Feathers, Kais and the others (Greager, CJB, Sam Seong) are probably too different from straights. Straights are probably more forgiving and, as the man says:
"SEs, DEs and Injectors are all about prep, straight razors are all about cutlery".
I've been using the Greager with the regular, professional and guard blades, with great success, but on the few occasions I've used a straight, they felt very different. (and if somebody can get more than 5 close comfortable shaves out of a Feather SE then I'd like to meet that man and see how long his beard is)
I have no connection with feather in any way whatsoever so feel I can openly tell the truth as far as how many shaves I can get out of a feather guard or pro and as I said I change them out after ten shaves although I feel I could get more but as I said , why push it? Many other people are getting similar numbers of shaves from their blades also so I'm not the only one.
Its a rather long way to come but if you are ever in Cornwall I would gladly meet you so you can see how long my beard is! Maybe your beard is a lot corser than mine , maybe your beard is corser than all the other feather SE blade users who are getting into double figures out of their blades, maybe it's the water, the soap or any number of things that may cause some peoples blades to last longer than five shaves, I certainly have not got any reason to exaggerate and I stand by what I said.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

I have no connection with feather in any way whatsoever so feel I can openly tell the truth as far as how many shaves I can get out of a feather guard or pro and as I said I change them out after ten shaves although I feel I could get more but as I said , why push it? Many other people are getting similar numbers of shaves from their blades also so I'm not the only one.
Its a rather long way to come but if you are ever in Cornwall I would gladly meet you so you can see how long my beard is! Maybe your beard is a lot corser than mine , maybe your beard is corser than all the other feather SE blade users who are getting into double figures out of their blades, maybe it's the water, the soap or any number of things that may cause some peoples blades to last longer than five shaves, I certainly have not got any reason to exaggerate and I stand by what I said.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

I had no intention of calling you a liar, and I apologise. If anything, I am jealous. I'd love to get ten shaves out of a blade. I was always a 1 n done guy, but lately I've been pushing it with DE blades. I'll try it with injector blades and see how many I can get (sounds a good challenge). From what I heard in terms of numbers, I suspect there is a "middle phase", say, from 5 to 7, where they are not quite as comfy, and most guys chuck 'em, but they should push past that. I'll try.

I had no intention of calling you a liar, and I apologise. If anything, I am jealous. I'd love to get ten shaves out of a blade. I was always a 1 n done guy, but lately I've been pushing it with DE blades. I'll try it with injector blades and see how many I can get (sounds a good challenge). From what I heard in terms of numbers, I suspect there is a "middle phase", say, from 5 to 7, where they are not quite as comfy, and most guys chuck 'em, but they should push past that. I'll try.
I'm sorry but I disagree, why should they push pass that? You should swap your blade out when there is a need to, if they are not quite as comfy as you say the blade needs changing. I swap my blade for a new one before it becomes uncomfortable, shaving should be pleasurable and comfortable after all, if it is a case of the blades being too expensive to change when required then I would suggest using a DE razor with some good inexpensive blades.

This is where the variables come into play, I remove clean and dry my feather blade after each use , clean and dry the razor and then put the blade back in ready for the next use. Some people will get 3 uses and some will be into double figures, having been thinking about it there is a lot that will determine how long your blade will last. I understand that some people will only get a few uses out of their blades, I have never said anyone was wrong , I just said my blades lasted longer.

I'm starting to think something about my technique is blunting these blades prematurely. I dry everything fully after each use and then put the blade in a bag with dessicant packs. I can only get 4 shaves out of any of the Feather injector blades, 3 out of the Gem/Personna aluminium backed SE blades, and 3, maybe 4 out any DE blade (tho' I did push a Treet carbon steel blade to 11 shaves, but they were mostly single pass shaves and the high number was mostly out of bloody mindedness)

With palm stropping after each shave, I keep a Feather Pro on the go for a good 20 shaves. If each blade only lasted 5 shaves or fewer I would have to consider whether using the AC system was cost effective...

I've only tested a pro super to that extent but I've got a Proguard loaded currently on its forth shave so I might try and push it and see what I get.

My beard is full and coarse so the blades do get a good run.

With stropping some have reported up to 40 shaves if I remember correctly.

I find a feather AC sharper, more comfortable, closer shaving, but less forgiving than a straight razor. When I bought mine I sold off my straight razor collection...I love straights and the maintenance processes but a feather AC for me is perfect

Back
Top Bottom