Feather Artist Club

I've always found the artist club razors interesting, but they seem to crop up fairly regularly on buy/sell forums. I was wondering, are there people here who use them as their main razor, or are they usually just a gateway to "proper" straights?

I have a feather AC and it is my "sensible option" as I love the look of straights but really don't think I have the time to look after one properly.

As such I may move over one day, but for now it does the job and let's me "scratch the itch" with minimal fuss.

The Feather Artist in my books is something to behold with a Feather Pro Blade for the first couple of shaves...I have heard this and that about technique but the Pro blade is much the same as a Feather De Blade...Two shaves and its junk...That said the Feather Artist without any unrealistic expectation's is something to behold...:D

Billy

There is absolutely no resemblance between Feather DE and SE blades. I agree that the DE is good for only 2 or 3 shaves but the long SE blade can go into double figures easily.

There is another Feather SE blade similar in shape to a Gem blade - they are pretty crap so it's not what I'm referring to as the usual SE - the ones that are available as Proguard, Mild, Super and Pro Super.

In terms of being a gateway to straights - of course they are similar in that the blade rests directly on your skin when shaving - there is no safety bar to limit exposure. If you buy the folding version they are very similar to a straight - apart from weight where a traditional straight will be heavier overall.

The big difference to me is that a Feather SE blade is very sharp and needs a very light touch. A well honed straight can have a very refined edge - moreso than the Feather, therefore the end result will be just as close but a little more comfortable.

Regarding the Pro Blade...Not for me Sir...o_O
Billy
You seem to be the exception Billy. If you look back on some threads involving Feather SE blades, many people mention getting double figures and only changing because they got fed up with using the same blade.
I'd class myself as a moderately heavy beard and, using a Mongoose I've got up to seven shaves - without paying any attention to the blade in terms of palm stropping or using day after day. The reason I mention this is that I'm sure that leaving a blade for a few days will result in a bit of rusting or whatever - so seven shaves over a period of a few weeks seems quite good.

Yeah, I stuck one in an injector to see how long it would last me in a safety razor compared to the SS Club...I had a shave with it once after cutting it down to fit...Haven't got round to using it again to test is longevity for me...Don't get me wrong I find them very sharp initially in the SS Club and beholding but loose their initial sharpness quite quick...I could push more but I guess I am spoiled with some NOS blades that I use for injectors and the Feathers just don't cut it buy comparison in terms of holding their edge...o_O

I have never came across a modern blade that holds their sharpness like some of those NOS injector blades from the 60s & 70s..:p

Billy

I find if anything the pro blade is too sharp for a shave or two and then settles down nicely and can go on for many more shaves. Most seem to say in excess of 10 shaves, some say much more.

Why is there such a difference in price on the feather artist razors ?
Is it just different quality / material in the handles and they all have same "head" ?
Or totally different across the range?

Just wondered as a newbie and see the difference on eBay for example 40 quid to 200 quid

Paul

I find if anything the pro blade is too sharp for a shave or two and then settles down nicely and can go on for many more shaves. Most seem to say in excess of 10 shaves, some say much more.
Try running the blade through a wine cork a few times - it helps take that initial bite away.

The Feather blades for the folding straight razors are just hitting their stride by the 10th shave and then they're good for at least another week.

That's a fact ... and has been posted dozens, if not hundreds of times across the various forums.

Perhaps Fergiebilly is using his to peel and chop veg in between shaves?

There is no body can tell me that a Feather Pro blade doesn't loose its initial sharpness after the first pass on a Feather Straight ..I get 3 or 4 shaves at most and that's a fact for me...I have a growth like barbed wire...I have looked across forums and there are folks whom seem to get more but there are others whom only seem to get the same as myself...My brother has a lighter growth and he reckons he gets about 6 shaves with his...:eek:

I could use it further but I don't consider it to be comfortable...The Pro Supers wont even look near my beard and I have heard others having the same problem with the supers with heavy growths....Now ...I can shave as quick with the Feather as any other razor and Its not down to technique....o_O

Billy

You seem to be the exception Billy. If you look back on some threads involving Feather SE blades, many people mention getting double figures and only changing because they got fed up with using the same blade.

Hiya doin Rob,

Just wanted to mention the sensitive and polite way you told Billy he was nuts. Yeah, he's an odd duck but still sorta likeable.

Marty

Back
Top Bottom