Feather Artist Club

Hiya doin Rob,

Just wanted to mention the sensitive and polite way you told Billy he was nuts. Yeah, he's an odd duck but still sorta likeable.

Marty
b749c3d8-5428-4526-a318-79884f75e7ab_zpsybx6forb.png

Quack Quack....Ya Crazy Yanker.....:D

Billy

Picked up a Feather non folding, the basic model, off eBay for 45 quid. Tried it today with a Kai mild blade. First pass was OK, but I stopped half way through the second pass when the blood started flowing :) I need a tutorial I think! Any tips?

The Artist Club will take a moment to getting used to...I can get a Lovely DFS with one pass and a touch up around the chin area which can be a bit tricky at first...Take your time as they are more intuitive to use than I first thought...I use the Feather Pro Blade and it requires a very light touch for the first couple of shaves at least... o_O

Billy

... and stretch your skin. DO NOT risk a "catch and bounce". You might get away with them with a straight, even a Weck but not with a FEATHER.

Aside from a few weepers, the one time I really caught myself with a FEATHER was a lovely slide up my jawline to watch in slow motion how the skin just rippled up and the blade beached into the edge of my chin. That was a bleeder! MEDIC! Man down! Worse than when I caught my tragus with a spike point trying to thin my sideburns :confused:

Both of those scars are now gone, but I have one from an early attempt at experiencing the straight shave with one of those damn shavette things with a half DE ... which I caught the corner of in my cheek. I can still see that scar.

Damn it! I rather fancy another run with an Artist Club. I had the non-folding SS.

Haha nightmare. Yeah the gouge I got from the Feather looks like it won't survive my usual DE shave tomorrow. Not quite sure what to do. Can't afford to open it up tomorrow morning. Might have to go unshaven for a couple of days whilst my face recovers.

Haha nightmare. Yeah the gouge I got from the Feather looks like it won't survive my usual DE shave tomorrow. Not quite sure what to do. Can't afford to open it up tomorrow morning. Might have to go unshaven for a couple of days whilst my face recovers.
Paul just reminded me of something there...I was given this advice from my Brother & its sound...It helped me once the penny dropped...With most Safety Razors you will get away with touching the face and then moving the Razor to cut down your whiskers...Now here is the thing...With a Straight Razor you need to keep it on the move...That's is to say...As you touch your face with it....It should be already on its cutting stroke as it touches your face...This will help to prevent it from "Digging In"....Those Feather SS Clubs can offer a nasty cut if they dig in and you don't feel it..:eek:

Once you get used to keeping it on the move as you touch your face with it ...You will have the muscle memory every time you pick it up...Now this advice I got here to me is the secret to using a straight razor if there is one...If you watch Geofatboy on that video that's what he is doing...It a subtle thing..,,Keep it on the move...o_O

Billy

Last edited:
I second the digging in comment above, the feathers are super sharp.
I have a few straights and the differences are huge IMHO. Loads less faff, they require less stuff (strops, pastes and a man who know s how to sharpen them. Sharpness aside, I find it more forgiving, which I put down to a combo of weight, absense of blade point and the blade is shorter (about 2/3rds of a straight).
But after saying all that, I still can't get rid of my straights. Even though I can't use them as well, they feel like the right thing to do...
I think they are a good starting point and will help with general straight skills, and they may prove enough for you.
But then you are on a shaving forum, so you are bound to find another obsession ;)

I love the feather artist club razors, I have two at the present, the Japanese style non folding SS and the non folding DX .
I prefer the SS because of the head geometry which makes it an extremely easy razor to use and it gives me fantastically close shaves with no irritation what so ever.
I started off with the pro guard blades just to be on the safe side but quickly moved on to the pro blades when my confidence had built up.
The blades will last for at least ten shaves before I swap them out, I could probably get more out of them but why push it?
I would recommend these as an alternative to traditional straights simply because there is no stropping or honing to do, just put a super sharp blade in and shave and I cannot see how a traditional straight razor can give me a better shave.
I also have and use many DE razors and can get perfect shaves but not with the ease of the AC razors.
I also use a couple of traditional Japanese iwasaki kamisori which is probably closer to using a traditional western style straight razor but I find these a little more chalangeing in use.

I love the feather artist club razors, I have two at the present, the Japanese style non folding SS and the non folding DX .
I prefer the SS because of the head geometry which makes it an extremely easy razor to use and it gives me fantastically close shaves with no irritation what so ever.
I started off with the pro guard blades just to be on the safe side but quickly moved on to the pro blades when my confidence had built up.
The blades will last for at least ten shaves before I swap them out, I could probably get more out of them but why push it?
I would recommend these as an alternative to traditional straights simply because there is no stropping or honing to do, just put a super sharp blade in and shave and I cannot see how a traditional straight razor can give me a better shave.
I also have and use many DE razors and can get perfect shaves but not with the ease of the AC razors.
I also use a couple of traditional Japanese iwasaki kamisori which is probably closer to using a traditional western style straight razor but I find these a little more chalangeing in use.
Well..For Me a Traditional SR Offers a Far More Comfortable & Closer Shave than the Artist Club..A Hollow Ground Blade is a Lot Softer on the Skin & the Edge is Maintained Between Shaves..They are Chalk & Cheese..There is No Comparison to a Traditional SR & Feather Artist Club..:D

Billy

Well..For Me a Traditional SR Offers a Far More Comfortable & Closer Shave than the Artist Club..A Hollow Ground Blade is a Lot Softer on the Skin & the Edge is Maintained Between Shaves..They are Chalk & Cheese..There is No Comparison to a Traditional SR & Feather Artist Club..:D

Billy
I'm pleased that for you it is far more comfortable and closer shave, I was just saying if I'm getting a super smooth close shave from my AC I could not see how a straight could be closer, i mean smooth is smooth right and how can that be improved? I simply said I don't see how a straight razor can give me a better shave, yourself and others may find this not to be the case.
This is the great thing about these forums we can all voice our opinions.

I think "Kamisori" style or folding Feathers, Kais and the others (Greager, CJB, Sam Seong) are probably too different from straights. Straights are probably more forgiving and, as the man says:
"SEs, DEs and Injectors are all about prep, straight razors are all about cutlery".
I've been using the Greager with the regular, professional and guard blades, with great success, but on the few occasions I've used a straight, they felt very different. (and if somebody can get more than 5 close comfortable shaves out of a Feather SE then I'd like to meet that man and see how long his beard is)

Back
Top Bottom