Expiry dates

Hi,
I am been followning this site for a while now and am fascinated by the amount of knowledge there is here especially when it comes to the ingredients of products. I am wondering do shaving cream, ASB and mosturisers expire - I have some Zirh products and am wondering should I bin there - they are a few years old. Thanks

I don't drink but I thought I'd share this. There is a long standing joke with my Father in law. If you get offered a can of beer and you can see the date, it will be out of date.
If you can't see the date its probably obscured by rust.

Re the products. I would use them if they look and smell ok. (My view is a use by date is only a suggested guide). Obviously if you have any kind of reaction cease using them immediately.

Welcome as our 200th member - it would be great if you would post an introduction in The Welcome Forum so that we can show we are pleased to have you aboard.

Throw things away! I shaved this morning with a 40 + years old soap. Not sure about after shaves - others will comment.

Welcome...even goods that will NEVER perish have expiry dates and that includes shaving products. I doubt there is much wrong with your Zirh products, the difficulty comes when products don't contain enough preservatives, ignore the ED and use your common sense only bin it if there is a significant deterioration in performance or scent.

The canning process by it's very nature preserve's a product indefinitely, whilst they can spuriously claim the product does not contain preservatives by law manufacturer's still have to stick an ED on it.

Anything with a high moisture content (like creams, balms) might not be at it's best (dried out or separated slightly - probably nothing that a bloody good shake/stir wouldn't put right though) but it'll still be ok, so long as it's got sufficient anti-bacterial properties either naturally, or added.

In the food sense best before means exactly what you'd think... it's best to consume it before the date stated, but you won't die if you consume it a little bit after. Use by means that you really shouldn't use it after that date. Not sure if there such a distinction in cosmetics though?

hunnymonster said:
Anything with a high moisture content (like creams, balms) might not be at it's best (dried out or separated slightly - probably nothing that a bloody good shake/stir wouldn't put right though) but it'll still be ok, so long as it's got sufficient anti-bacterial properties either naturally, or added.

In the food sense best before means exactly what you'd think... it's best to consume it before the date stated, but you won't die if you consume it a little bit after. Use by means that you really shouldn't use it after that date. Not sure if there such a distinction in cosmetics though?

Not really, but as you said, biodegradable thingies WITH water do go bad, and have expiry dates for a reason. The main problem here is fungal and bacterial growth. The more water, the higher the risk. ASB's have preservatives for a reason, but also have expiry dates for a reason.

The rule of thumb in home-made cosmetics is that anything with water in it (creams, milks) has a safe shelf life in the order of 6 months with adequate preservation, but days without.

Industrial stuff has (unopened) shelf lives that are much longer, since they can actually guarantee that production and bottling was done under sterile conditions, but will have a finite shelf life once opened.

Soaps have so little water that they can be stored almost indefinitely, even after opening (unless you keep your cake of shaving soap floating in a wet container -- any piece of soap will develop moulds under such conditions).

ASBs will go off eventually -- and the problem is that they may be truly off long before you actually see or smell the moulds (or bacteria), so you'd be well advised to take at least some notice of the expiry date.

Cream soaps are an odd product here -- they contain as much water as some cosmetic creams, but due to pH and nature of the major part of the solids (fatty acid salts) they will not readily succumb to microbial growth. But they will eventually...

Henk

welcome aboard!

Yes, anything that's even a week old should be sent to me for proper disposal. soaps, Creams, ..you name it.

PM me and I'll send you my address.

Wow - thanks for the replies and the welcomes. I think I'll bin the opened ones and save the rest. It's not prudent to chuck things out in these recessionary times. Apart from expiry dates, I wonder is it common that manufacturers tinker with the ingredients without letting the customer know. I noticed a whole load of The Shaving Company stuff 'dumped' in TKMaxx and I can only think that was due to them moving to paraben free versions. In this case, the new versions have 'paraben-free' written on the front of the products as clearly it is a selling point.

DEbest said:
Apart from expiry dates, I wonder is it common that manufacturers tinker with the ingredients without letting the customer know.

"without letting the customer know" as in not advertising a change? Yes. As in: not disclosing it on the packaging or label? Shouldn't be possible. Cosmetics is the only area of consumer products where the listing of all ingredients, in approved (INCI) terminology, is mandatory. Except for the composition of the perfume, but there you DO have to list all acknowledged allergens over a certain level (chemical substances, not sources -- so you need to list limonene, but you don't have to disclose which oil(s) or product(s) contributed it. Not that all companies comply. Sometimes ingredients are conveniently 'forgotten', or indicated with fancy (non-INCI) names. ANd sometimes the entire ingredients list is conveniently skipped...

Henk

i wouldn't bin owt :shock:

try it, that's the only way to tell, plus i know it'll be fine ;)

who can tell me the only food stuff that will NEVER go off and it still has a use by\best before date on the container :?:

Another point to bear in mind that affects the life of a product is the storage conditions. If soap/cream is stored in a humid area and not in an air tight tub then it will degrade faster (obviously). As with many products the best storage area is somewhere cool and preferably with a reasonably constant temperature.

My advice is to store the bulk of everything (including blades and razors somewhere with a constant temp, cool if you have it, (not in the garden shed as it is too damp in there) I have two storage tubs, one for the razors and brushes and another for the soaps and in the razor tub I have a couple of silica gell packs to absorb moisture. I then pick out half a dozen razors, soaps blades and brushes and use for a month then swap them over.

Years ago I worked in a bar and people came from quite a distance just for the Guinness, it was not that the cellar was colder than others but it was a very stable cool environment and the punters loved it. The pub had two bars, same pumps, same cleaning routine everything, just one cellar was underground. I am not a Guinness drinker so I could not say which one was better but 1000 alkis in a mining town can’t be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom