Edinburgh - a conveniently located hotel

Not a hotel expert but I reccomend 'The Dogs' on Hanover Street, and the Bistro at the Scotsman Hotel for lunch.

I stayed at the Novotel recently for a wedding. Modern, rooms were nice, good breakfast, just a dander from the Grassmarket. They have a pool too.

A Fido rant.

I took a look at the Hilton and Balmoral. Was interested to see what I could get if I really raised the stakes and went for the best suites.

When will hotels realise that apart from a check list of features it is the quality of the accommodation that a guest wants to assess. So where are some decent pictures or videos of rooms and bathrooms? There are some photos, but totally inadequate to get a real idea of what you are getting. The Hilton has a suite for £864 per night. And they offer a photo of a couple gazing out of a window - that's it. No view of the room they are standing in!
My search continues.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

£864 for a night???? I'd want dancing girls including for that price. Julie smegging Andrews, I'm flying to Canada for less than that next year. My first house cost less than that!!!!*

* It didn't.

Fido said:
A Fido rant.

I took a look at the Hilton and Balmoral. Was interested to see what I could get if I really raised the stakes and went for the best suites.

When will hotels realise that apart from a check list of features it is the quality of the accommodation that a guest wants to assess. So where are some decent pictures or videos of rooms and bathrooms? There are some photos, but totally inadequate to get a real idea of what you are getting. The Hilton has a suite for £864 per night. And they offer a photo of a couple gazing out of a window - that's it. No view of the room they are standing in!
My search continues.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.
Fido, have a look at tripadvisor. It's ordinary mortals like us lot posting their own opinions of places they've visited.

Fido
Edinburgh is a fantastic city, but it is not car friendly, deliberately. You will have a great time, just remember to wrap up, its a cauld place Auld Reekie. Try the Witchery restaurant on the Royal Mile, not cheap but what a venue, there is accommodation there, again not cheap but near enough your budget specification. Go on, as we say up here 'Yere a lang while deid'

Regards

Thanks again for the contributions.
We are thinking either of a short Edinburgh trip in March/ April or a trip late May/back for the world cup on 11 June, combining Edinburgh with a trip afterwards, further north.

Depends on the timing of a trip to Texas to pick up a few shaving creams - oops - to see my daughter. Perhaps I'll need a travelling brush?
Thanks again, will follow up the tips.

Blyth Spirit said:
I was up there in the Autumn and Princes Street was like a building site with the installation of tram lines...hopefully it'll be rectified for the "revellers" (a press tabloid term for drunken party-goers!) on Old Years Night.

The tram works are allegedly finished on Princes Street - although they did say they needed to come back and do some more later...

they've stuck a tram at either end of Princess St to fool people into thinking they're getting somewhere.

they're not :roll:

well at that budget Fido i'd check out the Scotsman

Finally sorted out our trip to Edinburgh. My 3/4 nights is now a 7 day stay first week in June (back in time for the World Cup) Opted for an apartment in Rothesay Place. Will fly from Southampton. Any tips about things to see and do will be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom