Closed Completed: Seygus Spain 2016 razor pass around

As promised, finally some pictures of the Red Seygus Spain 2016
SeygusTB1.JPG

SeygusTB2.JPG

SeygusTB3.JPG

SeygusTB4.JPG

SeygusTB5.JPG

Inaugural Shave With The Black Seygus 2016

As has already been noted by Andreas @riverrun, the Seygus razor is pretty light given its aluminium construction. It does feel good in the hand, though, especially with the stainless steel spacer fitted. I also like the pseudo-steampunk look, what with the various breaks in knurling and chamfered edges.

The knurling is quite 'industrial' - not aggressively so, but it is not - understandably, given the price the razor is pitched at - surgically finished like the AS-D2 or Wolfman. That said, the knurling does facilitate a secure finger hold; this is especially relevant when used with the super slippy Original XPEC unscented as I did this morning.

It is worth noting too that if you run your finger across the scalloped guard bar there is some roughness and sharp edges.

I loaded up a Shark Super Stainless razor blade, which is really easy given the generous location pins in the top cap of the head of the razor.

After assembly, though, there is a noticeable blade overhang from the head. Some folk don't mind this, some folk do. Generally, I do prefer the blade to be enclosed within the razor head, but, in this case, given the black head contrast with the steel razor blade, at no stage did I feel there was any danger of accidental finger / blade contact.

The other thing you can see in the above photograph, is that the blade sits absolutely true. This is not always the case with 3-piece razors as the very act of torquing up the handle can 'turn' the bottom plate / razor blade at the last moment and cause it to go off-centre.

Onto the shave, and I did a 2 pass WTG and ATG on 1.5 day's growth. The razor is really mild - not just as mild as, say, an AS-D2 or Hone Type 15 but one could easily use the Seygus 2016 every day of the week. The shave itself was without any drama whatsoever - no irritation, weepers, redness etc. and I achieved a perfectly satisfactory DFS+ quite readily. I didn't go for a third pass, however, but I dare say a BBS shave could be achieved thereto.

Overall then, I enjoyed my first shave with the Seygus 2016. Here's to another few shaves with it...:)

Last edited:
Hi, thanks a lot for the pictures, they are so nitty-gritty, that I've never before have seen these details altogether.
Let me ask regarding your feelings and thoughts about the top pins and the blades. Pins are 4.70~ diameter, while most of the blades are between 4.95~ and 5.1, let's say. Some guys are asking us to increase it up to 4.9, but we are afraid this become in inconveniences and risks when pull out the blade. What do you think about this? Thanks a lot for the review along with the pass around. It's amazing.

Hi, thanks a lot for the pictures, they are so nitty-gritty, that I've never before have seen these details altogether.
Let me ask regarding your feelings and thoughts about the top pins and the blades. Pins are 4.70~ diameter, while most of the blades are between 4.95~ and 5.1, let's say. Some guys are asking us to increase it up to 4.9, but we are afraid this become in inconveniences and risks when pull out the blade. What do you think about this? Thanks a lot for the review along with the pass around. It's amazing.
While there is a little wiggle room for the blades I don't perceive that as a problem. Aligning the blade is straight forward. I checked two other razors. The Merkur Progress has 4.7 mm pins as well, the more unusual Stahly has 4.6 mm pins. I never had blade alignment problems with either of them.
I think the way Gillette's single pin Tech head aligns the blade is pure genius. See here. Look at the small raised pins at the corners of the top plate. The Feather AS-D2 has a similar way to hold the blade.
To sum it up: I wouldn't go past 4.8 mm if you ask me.

Day three with the Red Seygus Spain 2016

Trufitt&Hill Lavender shaving cream
Omega Hi-brush 46751 (the one from the picture)
Seygus Spain 2016 Red
Astra Superior Platinum (2)
Cella Colonia Classica
Castle Forbes Lime ASB

Today I put an Astra Superior Platinum blade (used once before) into the Seygus. What a smooth blade that is and what a pity that I have only one more left. With the Astra blade the Seygus was very, very mild. I got the impression that I wouldn't nick myself, even if I tried.
The razor is indeed a lot quieter with the spacer and had its nice balance back. From now on the spacer is not optional for me.
The shave was very pleasant, helped by the gorgeous T&H Lavender shaving cream. Very slick. Great scent. I was a bit shocked to realise T&H have discontinued it, but (that's) just for the tub. You can still get it in a tube. Phew.
The final result of my usual four pass routine for pass around razors was a mostly BBS shave, but not under the chin where a DFS was achieved. Quite a few razors struggle there. Given that there was no sting from the Alum block (is it broken?) or the Cella Colonia Classica, I can live with that.
A great every day razor, if you ask me. I think it looks really good in red.
For the next outing I'll see how the Seygus deals with a Feather blade.
TBC.

Last edited:
Day three with the Red Seygus Spain 2016

Cella croap
L'Occitane Plisson brush
Seygus Red Spain 2016 razor
Feather blade (1)
Tüff Sensitiv ASL
YSL Kouros EdT

SeygusTB6.jpg

Today I wanted to see how the Seygus handles the infamous Feather blade. They are not my favourite blades, but they are indeed very sharp. The three drawbacks are that they don't last very long, are too expensive and that I have far too many of them.:rolleyes:
The Seygus felt a bit more aggressive with the Feather blade. Maybe I shouldn't use the word ‘aggressive'. The Seygus was a little bit less mild, but it was still mild. There is not much to report about the shave. No incidents and the end result after the usual four passes was closer than those achieved with the other blades. My face is not as smooth as yesterday however, when I used to marvellous little pass around Trumpf slant.
The alum block and ASL had very little sting. Absolutely no irritation. This is a very good every day razor. I think I'll do one more shave with shaving oil only and then pass the Seygus on.
TBC.

Second and Third Shaves With The Black Seygus 2016

The Seygus continues to impress with its mild, enjoyable and fuss-free shaves - it really is a complete pleasure to use.

I have now managed 3 pass BBS with both a Feather blade and a Voskhod blade. The third shave - with a Voskhod - was particularly smooth and with the Seygus' inherent lightness, it is quite simply remarkable how readily it can be whizzed around the face with total confidence. It also has a fairly wide window (i.e. angle) of operation which is great when navigating the jaw line where it can be difficult to maintain an exact angle when passing from cheek to neck.

The best way to describe the Seygus? It does exactly what it says on the tin...:cool:

Andreas @riverrun - if you could advise who is next for the Black Seygus 2016?

Second and Third Shaves With The Black Seygus 2016

The Seygus continues to impress with its mild, enjoyable and fuss-free shaves - it really is a complete pleasure to use.

I have now managed 3 pass BBS with both a Feather blade and a Voskhod blade. The third shave - with a Voskhod - was particularly smooth and with the Seygus' inherent lightness, it is quite simply remarkable how readily it can be whizzed around the face with total confidence. It also has a fairly wide window (i.e. angle) of operation which is great when navigating the jaw line where it can be difficult to maintain an exact angle when passing from cheek to neck.

The best way to describe the Seygus? It does exactly what it says on the tin...:cool:

Andreas @riverrun - if you could advise who is next for the Black Seygus 2016?
Thanks for your thoughts, Martin. I'm not sure exactly what it says on the tin. Seems to be in Spanish and in tiny writing :D
The next in line is @Neslo.

Fourth and last shave with the Red Seygus Spain 2016

Face wash with Speick hand soap
Hot towel
Nuage Men Shaving Oil
Red Seygus Spain 2016
PolSilver blade
Alum block
Indian Old Spice Fresh Lime ASL

Wow. My best shave with the Seygus yet. It still freaks me out to shave without lather. But the result is amazing. Even with slightly oily fingers, the grip on the knurled handle is fantastic. The head just glides over your face while removing stubble. While I could hear that the razor was doing its job the whole process felt so gentle and smooth.
The alum block had no complaints whatsoever and there was very little sting from the aftershave. The shave was closer than the previous ones, still not on par with more aggressive razors, but those give me a good sting from the alum and ASL. While not a 100% BBS result, I can only feel hints of stubble ATG in two places under the chin. Given how pampered my skin feels though, this is a very good result. I have to use shaving oil more often. The Seygus is a very good razor. It feels good, handles well, looks good and is a pleasure to use.
It's a keeper. Except it isn't. I have to pass in on. I'll get it cleaned and barbicided and then send it to @p.b. Please PM me your address.

Back
Top Bottom