Closed Completed: Seygus Spain 2016 razor pass around

Day one with the Red Seygus

I like it. Now read the review

After merely 10 days the red Seygus razor finally arrived from Spain. Although it was delivered tracked, Royal Mail didn't think a signature was required. Inside the padded envelope was a small metal box and inside the box were the razor head and handle in two Ziploc bags as well as instructions in both Spanish and English. I suggest that the English instructions might benefit from being proofread. ;)
The razor is of course red. I'm not sure why I was expecting a bright red razor, but it's more a burgundy shade of red, quite classy. The handle has four knurled areas, that appear slightly darker in colour. The knurled areas seem to cling on to soap scum and were hard to clean after my first shave. I'll keep an eye on this.
The handle consists of two parts. The larger bottom part is made from aluminium, just like the head. The smaller, upper part is made from stainless steel, is not coloured red and adds some weight to the handle. The two parts are screwed together and you can remove the stainless steel spacer and just use the lighter aluminium handle.
Here are the vital statistics of the razor: The full configuration with the stainless steel spacer weighs 55.5 grams, 41.2 grams for the handle and 14.3 grams for the head. The handle is 88 mm long. Without the spacer the razor weighs 32.3 grams, the handle weighs 17.9 grams. That's only a gram or two heavier than my 1972 aluminium Tech. Not surprising.
I did have a shave with the Seygus of course. I wasn't expecting the razor to arrive today, so yesterday I had a shave with my Digress cranked all the way up to its most aggressive setting. The shave was amazingly close and this morning I decided I didn't really need a shave, because of lack of stubble. Then the Seygus arrived. I waited until mid-afternoon and then had a go anyway.
I put a fresh Voskhod blade into the Seygus. There seems to be a tiny bit of wiggle room when putting the blade in the head, so I needed to be careful to have the same blade exposure on both sides of the head.
I face lathered some Truefitt&Hill No.10 shaving cream with my Omega Hi-brush 46751. I won this brush in the TSR raffle and really like it. It can easily hold enough lather for four passes and despite the slight lack of stubble, I decided to give this razor the same first shave routine I give all of them. Four passes it was.
I used the Seygus with the stainless steel spacer in place and I immediately noticed that the knurling gives it plenty of grip. It feels nicely balanced . A lot lighter than the stainless steel heavy weights that are currently quite popular, but that doesn't bother me - my favourite razors are all over the weight spectrum.
Now the first thing everyone wants to know is: Is it mild or aggressive? It's definitely mild. You can hardly feel the blade and there is not a lot of noise either. I had examined the head and used it on the back of my hand and had established that the proper shaving angle would be 40-45 degrees, so the razor started cutting right from the word ‘go'.
The shave was uneventful. Quite a relief after nicking my upper lip with the Digress yesterday :eek: and quite a harsh shave with a vintage plastic DE the day before. The result was a full on BBS shave after four passes, but (that's) hardly surprising given the little stubble I had to start with. But despite being mild it seems quite efficient. Six hours later I can tell that the shave was not as close as yesterdays, but (that's) hardly surprising. I had an enjoyable shave though. Very enjoyable.
Tomorrow I might try it without the stainless steel spacer and I'll try to take some photos. Time permitting.
To be continued...

1. riverrun
  2. Nico1970
  3. Neslo
  4. p.b
  5. Stacy555
  6. mikebrownington
  7. barber bear
  8. Damianj
  9. Rufus Firefly
  10. mattyb240
  11. fancontroller
  12. Whosthedaddy
  13. Glen_Lee
  14. AndyMc133
  15. ben193
  16. Nishy
  17. wayne mattison

The list is open.

Legend:
Waiting
Black razor on the way to, Red razor on the way to
Black razor currently with, Red razor currently with,
Completed

Day 2 with the Red Seygus

Today's report will be lot shorter. I used the Seygus without the stainless steel spacer. This makes it similar in weight to my 1972 aluminium Gillette Tech. Maybe I'm imagining this, but the razor felt a bit louder without the spacer. I find lighter razors to be more nimble, something I normally like. The Tech has a slightly longer, but lighter handle and a heavier head weighing18.4 grams compared to the Seygys at 14.3 grams. That doesn't sound much, but I believe the Tech has a better balance than the Seygus without the spacer. So the spacer will go back on for the next shave. I had another pleasant and uneventful shave with good results, but the Seygus is definitely not as efficient as the best of them. I had closer shaves with the Wolfman, my Digress on 5, the R41 and the marvellous bakelite Merkur 45. But those are (mostly) razors I wouldn't use daily. The Seygus is a razor I could see myself using quite often.
Yesterday's soap scum problems were on second examination not caused by soap, but I dried the handle with some kitchen paper and the knurling probably removed some fibres from that. I should have put my reading glasses on :rolleyes:

To be continued… (Maybe I can manage some photos tomorrow.)

The design of the head looks very solid and impressive. However, does it really ship in a plastic bag inside a metal thin with no other padding???
Yes it does, unfortunately, Paul @p.b.

One of the comments I was going to make in the fullness of time was that a foam insert with suitable indents to receive both parts of the head (separately) and also the handle wouldn't go amiss!

It's the simple things you see...:)

The design of the head looks very solid and impressive. However, does it really ship in a plastic bag inside a metal thin with no other padding???
At least the pass around razors were delivered like that. The metal tin is quite small and won't hold the razor assembled. I didn't think that the way the razor was packaged would cause any damage to it in transit. Personally I'd prefer a slightly larger tin with some foam insets to hold the razor assembled. I'm not saying the razor would be safer that way. I would just be a bit classier.

The list is still open, so @barber bear out and @fly3k added.

1. riverrun
  2. Nico1970
  3. Neslo
  4. p.b
  5. Stacy555
  6. mikebrownington
  7. Damianj
  8. Rufus Firefly
  9. mattyb240
  10. fancontroller
  11. Whosthedaddy
  12. Glen_Lee