Close to Shulton Old Spice aftershave?

...If you can get your hands on OSP Old Gold that’s my favourite.
i don’t think iv tried the B&M version but i’ll need to give it a go.
i think master soap creations do one also

OSP is on closeout at Pasteur's Pharmacy in NYC, but they have no Old Gold AS.

Master Creations has no alcohol however. (n)

I hate to sound like a broken record, but for you lovers of Old Spice the PAA Diver Down veers off in a different, and IMO better, direction that simply envelops the user in a "cloud" of spices and a spikenard face "freeze" of epic proportions!! You'll smell more spice than Marco Polo on inventory day!! :eek:

I hate to sound like a broken record, but for you lovers of Old Spice the PAA Diver Down veers off in a different, and IMO better, direction that simply envelops the user in a "cloud" of spices and a spikenard face "freeze" of epic proportions!! You'll smell more spice than Marco Polo on inventory day!! :eek:
I agree
i don’t think Old Spice is all that and there modern take on it is very nice.
The only reason people want old spice is because it’s old

I agree
i don’t think Old Spice is all that and there modern take on it is very nice.
The only reason people want old spice is because it’s old
I like it because it evokes memory's of a time when my dad used the range of old spice shaving goods on offer back in the early 70s, not simply because it's old.

Paul.

Last edited:
I like it because it evokes memory's of a time when my dad used the range of old spice shaving goods on offer back in the early 70s, not simply because it's old.

Paul.

I agree, Old Spice is more about nostalgia than love for many of us.
I never disliked it as a young man, but even so, we ( me and my mates ) would never wear it. The scent was engrained into society as much as our memory. It was like an institution for the dad's, grandad's and uncles of the day and it was in everyone's house that I knew when I was growing up.
Old Spice and Brut were the two most popular and instantly recogniseable scents of the era but as far as we were concerend they were for "old blokes". So we all avoided them like the plague and were getting into new stuff like Blue Stratos and Denim.
In truth, probably most of us never hated them as much as we let on but we'd never have openly admitted that.
So they were banished to history .......................... until some of us got involved in wet shaving and decided to unlock the memories !
And realised grandad was right all along ! :ROFLMAO:

Paul.

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but my enthusiasm for Old Spice is not really based in nostalgia, but it's scent profile is a little different.

There are a multitude of barbershop, aquatic, citrus, fougere, bay rum etc splashes/EdT's but Old Spice packs a bit more of a punch, I think in sensory terms it can be a little bit more than something like an aquatic/marine splash, which I like but can be quite forgettable. In comparison Old Spice is anything but forgettable.

Thread resurrection alert!

I've noticed a few people using the modern P&G old spice on the sotd posts and it got me curious. Was in savers today and picked a bottle up as it was only a fiver, got it home and splashed some on my hands to investigate. I tell you what... It's actually very nice :) a bit different from the shulton stuff, but the DNA is there and I rather like it.
I've had quite a few vintage bottles and the Indian spice, loved the shulton goodness, but got fed up of paying over the odds on eBay for them. The modern stuff always seemed to get slated but I'm glad I got a bottle, very nice indeed.

Thread resurrection alert!

I've noticed a few people using the modern P&G old spice on the sotd posts and it got me curious. Was in savers today and picked a bottle up as it was only a fiver, got it home and splashed some on my hands to investigate. I tell you what... It's actually very nice :) a bit different from the shulton stuff, but the DNA is there and I rather like it.
I've had quite a few vintage bottles and the Indian spice, loved the shulton goodness, but got fed up of paying over the odds on eBay for them. The modern stuff always seemed to get slated but I'm glad I got a bottle, very nice indeed.

Which Indian version do you have? I have one in a plastic bottle which is a bit stronger and deeper than the one sold in Savers. I think I read somewhere one the Indian versions was reasonably close to the Shulton version. I never used it so I have nothing to compare it to.

Like yourself I bought a bottle in Savers in the last week or so and I really like it. IMO I can't really see the point of searching for a unicorn when there is a high street counterpart that costs £5 and is an excellent splash in it's own right!

Which Indian version do you have? I have one in a plastic bottle which is a bit stronger and deeper than the one sold in Savers. I think I read somewhere one the Indian versions was reasonably close to the Shulton version. I never used it so I have nothing to compare it to.

Like yourself I bought a bottle in Savers in the last week or so and I really like it. IMO I can't really see the point of searching for a unicorn when there is a high street counterpart that costs £5 and is an excellent splash in it's own right!
I don't have an Indian one now, had it years ago and it was the lime old spice, it was nice. It was just as if some lime juice had been added to the shulton stuff, I can imagine the Indian old spice would smell pretty close.

I agree, Old Spice is more about nostalgia than love for many of us.
I never disliked it as a young man, but even so, we ( me and my mates ) would never wear it. The scent was engrained into society as much as our memory. It was like an institution for the dad's, grandad's and uncles of the day and it was in everyone's house that I knew when I was growing up.
Old Spice and Brut were the two most popular and instantly recogniseable scents of the era but as far as we were concerend they were for "old blokes". So we all avoided them like the plague and were getting into new stuff like Blue Stratos and Denim.
In truth, probably most of us never hated them as much as we let on but we'd never have openly admitted that.
So they were banished to history .......................... until some of us got involved in wet shaving and decided to unlock the memories !
And realised grandad was right all along ! :ROFLMAO:
This hits home for me. Old Spice was my dad's go to splash. Probably the early 80's. Never owned any myself, but have come to realise that I am now older than my dad was then! I know if I was to smell it now, I will instantly think of the old fella.

Looks like @isaiah53 has found a decent equivalent - I should go buy some & make my own son sniff it :D

This hits home for me. Old Spice was my dad's go to splash. Probably the early 80's. Never owned any myself, but have come to realise that I am now older than my dad was then! I know if I was to smell it now, I will instantly think of the old fella.

Looks like @isaiah53 has found a decent equivalent - I should go buy some & make my own son sniff it :D

Smell my Spice!!
IMG_20221016_165435.jpg

Back
Top Bottom