car driver vs cyclists?

Sorry, but you doing 40 instead of 60 wont effect your fuel economy greatly. If you drove economical you should find your fuel figures are about the same. Try driving more eco-safe. Its now part of the driving test.
Im not blind to caravaners. Im also not busy looking at my rig. I dont often go in the caravan now because it bores the hell out of me. But, we dont go slow, nor do we speed. But no, we wont pull over if we have a tail back. But, i can honestly say in the 4 years we have been caravaning, and going all over Europe, we have never had a huge tail back behind us. Although i think one time we had one was when we were going to the Chek Republic and it was a very twisty road.
You say 'they dont know how to behave responsibly'
Who are they? I take it you are stereotyping all caravaners together?
The caravan club rules do say that. Not all caravaners are in the caravan club believe it or not!!! :roll:
We sit just under the speed limit for towing on the motorway aswell. In quite a relaxed fashion.On single carriageways we also go along in a nice relaxed fashion causing not much of a hold up.

I also hate horse boxes, but thats just because i hate horses. Show jumping is not a sport, and instead it should be changed to people only able to have miniature horses, which can go into the back of their cars. They should have to run around with the horse(not on the horse) jumping over obstacles aswell. Even better if you have women like in cheese_daves avatar doing it ;)
cheese_dave said:
1gear said:
So, because you cant do the speed you want and you have to go slower, you hate it :? My god, i think you need to relax abit more ;) :lol:
Im quite happy to score a point over you. One of my MOST favourite things ever is racing pensioners on bikes ;) :lol:
Should also point out that driving too slow is as much against the law as driving too fast. It can cause accidents. It's all about people not driving appropriate to the road conditions.

Your right, driving too slow is also a cause of accidents. But if a lorry is doing 40mph, and people dont know when to overtake and when to not overtake then its not the slow moving vehicles fault is it. If the driver was patient and waited then it would be better, dont you think?
Usually the problem with slower moving traffic and accidents is when you dont expect it. Like someone doing 40mph on the motorway or someone going slow on a fast bit of dual carriageway.

Personally, i think you both need to relax abit more in your car. It sounds like you both want to be chavs in your powerful car going fast. Init ;)
This your car?
chav-car.jpg

:lol:

I drive a Citroen C5 diesel. I am 46. I am not a boy racer. I don't want to hare about everywhere like a maniac. I just want to drive, on a road where the speed limit is 60mph and the conditions are good, at or approaching 60 mph. Personally, I don't think that's unreasonable.

Oh, and it might be best if you avoid some places in europe. The Dutch love their caravans, and you see them all over with them!
It would probably blow your twos mind with wanting to get past and not being able to!

Its not un reasonable to want to do 60 in a 60. But neither is wanting to tow a caravan, and in doing so having to drive abit slower.
Depending how far your journey is, how much speed you will lose, id love to know how much extra time it will add onto your drive. Quite often i doubt its much at all.
And with a diesel car like you have im sure you can get high fuel figures, because im sure you drive it well, so slowing down wont effect you on fuel
Your in your late 40s and your moaning because you cant do 60 in a 60. Jesus, when im your age i dont think ill be moaning because i cant do the speed limit when i want to.
Relax abit more.

Going back to your original rant... is there a war between cyclists and car drivers? No. Are there bad car drivers? Yes. Are there bad cyclists? Yes.

I drive 50 miles a day to work, 25 miles each way. Some people drive more, some people drive less. 50 miles is what I drive.

There is a lycra-clad whippet who I encounter about 2/3rds of the way into my journey. I like to give him a good berth, as he is on a bicycle. One time I went past him giving him a good berth, yet at some traffic lights he squeezed tightly against and past my car, then cycled through the red light and into the no-man's land in the centre of the junction, where he did that front-wheel-turny-I'm-a-cyclist-and-I-don't-have-to-put-my-foot-on-the-floor trick for a while.

When the lights changed I drove past him like he wasn't there. He wants to act like a dick, I'm going to drive past him like he's a dick. My car weighs nearly a ton, his bike weighs feck all and he's wearing lycra.

Do the maths.

1gear said:
Your in your late 40s and your moaning because you cant do 60 in a 60. Jesus, when im your age i dont think ill be moaning because i cant do the speed limit when i want to.
Relax abit more.
Mate, you're 18 and you're moaning already. This whole thread is cos of you moaning. Take a pill.

Gentlemen, I am going to have to pull out of this debate, as i do not want to offend anyone that i seem to get on ok with in other areas of this forum...

However, before i do i have one or two more points; stereotypes are dangerous - they tend to pi*s off those who fit in those categories, but don't adhere to the unofficial "Rules" mentioned by others!

This thread has seen some good points, and some other bloody stupid ones. Clearly the best and most accurate is that there are some good drivers/cyclists/caravanners etc but equally, there are some crap ones of each. Personally i have seen some crap driving by those towing caravans, sure, however, i have seen a higher proportion of non-towing car drivers driving like morons (cyclists too). So from that personal research perhaps i could make the same sweeping statements as made by others earlier..."In my x number of years driving, never once has a car going slower than i wanted, let me past on a single carriageway road, therefore that must mean all car drivers are sh*te". Hmmm, doesn't work really does it...? It is the same token everywhere. same can be said for my personal research into middle-lane hoggers in the UK - nowhere else in Europe have i seen it happen more! That also tends to be single car drivers too, caravans may be in the middle lane for a while, but i would argue that they are there to...go...past...a vehicle in lane one, and it takes a little longer to do so.

(As an aside, the speed limit on all ares of the autobahn in the Fatherland for towing is 80KPH!! Crazily slow which is probably why i was pulled last summer by the Politzei for speeding :lol: Whilst towing a caravan!) Before anyone gets on their soap box, i was only going about 95 KPH, which is perfectly safe when towing a relatively small trailer/van with a LandRover.

Anyway, as said, i'm now going to leave this thread and let you all continue with the inflammatory, hate comments as i want to remain on speaking terms with all elsewhere on this forum.

Take care

cheese_dave said:
1gear said:
Relax abit more.
Mate, you're 18 and you're moaning already. This whole thread is cos of you moaning. Take a pill.

Your right, i am moaning. But i am moaning about something which is a good point.
You have shown your lack of intelligence on anything driving.
And proved that you are a dangerous driver with your comment that you passed the cyclist close because he passed you close.
I must have forgot you could move out in your can and be taken down by someone on a bike. Oh wait, you cant. So aslong as he doesnt hit your car, theres no problem.
A driving instructor overtook a mate of mines wife. He forgot to move out. Hit her, broke her hip and had to have alot of time off work.
Well done mate, hope passing a cyclist close made you feel better.
You shouldnt be on the road if your going to take that attitude.
But then, there are drivers and there are screwdrivers........
Im leaving the thread now aswell.
Oh, and by the way, its called trackstanding when you dont put your foot down, and its what i do at every set of lights, but i dont go into the middle of the junction.

cheese_dave said:
You're the one who voted "no" in the poll about my breasts, aren't you?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well done CD for reducing the tension.

1Gear, now throughout this i have been trying to see points from all sides, but going all confrontational as you have in your last couple of posts, questioning the intelligence of other board users, point scoring, etc etc, only really serves to illustrate your age and relative lack of experience/maturity when dealing with others. When i was 18 i also thought i knew it all - now i know that i didn't.

"Knowledge, is knowing a tomato is a fruit.....wisdom, is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad..."

1gear said:
Oh, and it might be best if you avoid some places in europe. The Dutch love their caravans, and you see them all over with them!

Try the A1, A697, A696 & A68 on any Summer Saturday - the ferry from Ijmuiden docks at North Shields about 0800 - by 1000 every second car on those routes heading North seems to be Dutch and is usually towing a caravan. Same applies on Sunday afternoons heading South. As one of those just about passes my door, I don't even need to leave home to experience this "unbridled joy".

For the record, I drive a Citroen C4 diesel. I am 39. I am not and have never been a boy racer. Like Chesty McDave, I don't feel the need to prove the size of my appendage by racing everywhere like my arse is on fire and never have done - the public highway is not the place to use as a racetrack - there are racetracks for that.

On fuel consumption - at a steady 58mph, I get in excess of 55mpg average on the trip to Edinburgh. When baulked by a caravan (or more often a constant stream of them) who constantly slow and accelerate that drops to about 45mpg.

I only indicate just because the feel of using the high quality switchgear in my car turns me on.

Cyclists....in my experience some are good and some should be banned from being in charge of any machinery, just like car drivers. The one sore point is that I respect that cyclists are road users like everyone else, and they deserve to be treated as such. But they suckers who roll through red lights and want to selectively apply the highway code make my blood boil.

By Jove what a love filled thread this has turned into.

Although I have to admit, since ditching the mach 3 and electric my accident rate has risen tenfold. But then I challenge anyone to drive perfectly whilst trying to build an adequate lather in the dashboard scuttle and keep a heated towel over your face for 2-3 minutes...

I feel we all need a group hug to relieve this tension...come on....don’t be shy

RB73 said:
By Jove what a love filled thread this has turned into.

Although I have to admit, since ditching the mach 3 and electric my accident rate has risen tenfold. But then I challenge anyone to drive perfectly whilst trying to build an adequate lather in the dashboard scuttle and keep a heated towel over your face for 2-3 minutes...

I feel we all need a group hug to relieve this tension...come on....don’t be shy

:lol: :lol: My name is Tony...and i'm a rageaholic..."sniff"...I'm addicted to rageahol!!!!! (Thankyou Homer Simpson!)

I overtook that same lycra-clad whippet four times through Wilmslow this morning, due to traffic lights and roadworks. Every time I stopped at a junction he came squeezing past my car, now on one side, now on the other, however the whim took him. I needed eyes up my backside not to hit him. I'd like to give him a hug.

cheese_dave said:
I overtook that same lycra-clad whippet four times through Wilmslow this morning, due to traffic lights and roadworks. Every time I stopped at a junction he came squeezing past my car, now on one side, now on the other, however the whim took him. I needed eyes up my backside not to hit him. I'd like to give him a hug.

:D you didn't mean "a hug" did you cheese_dave?

Back
Top Bottom