car driver vs cyclists?

Is that what it is on the roads? Seems like a war out there at the moment.
Not sure if its because i havent been on the road for a while or what, but im being passed close, having abuse shouted at me, people sitting right on my back wheel, horns honked.
Whats wrong with people :roll:
I was very close to losing my temper today, but fortunately the scared look on the drivers face after i had given his car a good thump as i went past was enough. He had passed me close, opened up his window before so he could shout abuse at me.
Dont think he was expecting me to catch him up, like many others.
Whats wrong with these people, ive got a home to go to, family. Why come past close and risk knocking people off? Do they have the courage to explain to the cyclists loved ones when they knock them off why they did what they did? I doubt it, most want to just power straight off and go hide.
But then after having been driven at, abuse shouted at me, spat at, someone actually follow me so they could get out the car and try and take me down, sweets and stones thrown, cut up, being the blame of most things, a car sit right up behind revving engine, a lorry behind at trafic lights edging closer for a laugh, someone pass me to slam on their brakes before driving off.
But then i am a cyclist, im obviously just a target and some fun to try and get for some others. :roll:
Makes me want to just sell my stuff and give up.
Someone i know was hit on a round about by a driver not paying attention and thought he could go and get through. He couldnt and wiped out the person i know that was on his bike.
But then who cares anymore?

Rant over

Mmm, i can understand. But on the other hand im a cabbie and i could write exactly the same about the amount of absolute t**ts i see on two wheels.
Stay safe fella, its a war out there :roll:

RB73 said:
Mmm, i can understand. But on the other hand im a cabbie and i could write exactly the same about the amount of absolute t**ts i see on two wheels.

I can agree. I was riding along and had someone just dive off the pavement on a bike and straight into my path. Another one which came down my left hand side at traffic lights, to undertake me when i was about to turn left :shock:
I wouldnt mind, but im not going slow. Im not riding like an idiot, im just riding along.
Has anyone ever had someone on a bike move out when they get to a section of road with crossings in the middle? Anyone know why they do this, and do this at other times?

Here in the Forest we have cyclists, runners, horses, horse drawn carriages, motor vehicles, caravans and walkers. Plus wandering pigs, donkeys and cattle and New Forest ponies.
It can be a bit slow and dangerous at times.

I used to run and cycle regularly and all too frequently encountered problems. Perhaps we are all a bit thoughtless and/or intolerant at times. The only way to avoid problems round here is to stay indoors.

1gear said:
RB73 said:

I can agree. I was riding along and had someone just dive off the pavement on a bike and straight into my path. Another one which came down my left hand side at traffic lights, to undertake me when i was about to turn left :shock:
I wouldnt mind, but im not going slow. Im not riding like an idiot, im just riding along.
Has anyone ever had someone on a bike move out when they get to a section of road with crossings in the middle? Anyone know why they do this, and do this at other times?

Since seeing umpteen Cyclist involved accidents I’ve stopped road cycling myself and now stick to the rough stuff (proper cycling... :twisted: :twisted: )

Fido said:
Here in the Forest we have cyclists, runners, horses, horse drawn carriages, motor vehicles, caravans and walkers. Plus wandering pigs, donkeys and cattle and New Forest ponies.
It can be a bit slow and dangerous at times.

I used to run and cycle regularly and all too frequently encountered problems. Perhaps we are all a bit thoughtless and/or intolerant at times. The only way to avoid problems round here is to stay indoors.

Don’t know why, but I’ve got a picture of dick turpin in my head now... :?

I cycle myself ( in good weather :? ) and some days you really do wonder why . I was in the car today behind a cyclist and a shit driver ahead of him on a tight two lane road - saw her suddenly pull into the side of the road and proudly skid onto double yellows and dick about with her phone oblivious to the traffic, or the cyclist who was alongside her that nearly had his foot trapped into her wheels.

In china you get an impossibly huge fine/imprisonment if you hit a pedestrian or cyclist so even tho the roads are chaos there, you keep your eyes peeled it seems. I try to take a deep breath and accept that some people just don't have a clue what they've just done or who they've nearly killed and others think city roads are built just for the use of their halfords sponsered shitheap !

Ben Hur type wheel spikes are the answer 1gear :D

Andy said:
I cycle myself ( in good weather :? ) and some days you really do wonder why . I was in the car today behind a cyclist and a shit driver ahead of him on a tight two lane road - saw her suddenly pull into the side of the road and proudly skid onto double yellows and dick about with her phone oblivious to the traffic, or the cyclist who was alongside her that nearly had his foot trapped into her wheels.

In china you get an impossibly huge fine/imprisonment if you hit a pedestrian or cyclist so even tho the roads are chaos there, you keep your eyes peeled it seems. I try to take a deep breath and accept that some people just don't have a clue what they've just done or who they've nearly killed and others think city roads are built just for the use of their halfords sponsered shitheap !

Ben Hur type wheel spikes are the answer 1gear :D

They are, or maybe a wacking great big gun.
If i could do id ride track in the summer and gym/spin classes with abit of road in the winter.
If only.
Could stay clear of the road the.

Only trouble hereabouts with SMIDSY drivers are between the Police Station and the Village Shop on the otherside of the border (outside his jurisdiction) - I'm not exactly a small chap 6'5", just shy of 20 stone, usually cycling along that bit around 27-28mph (speed limit is 30) - rarely wear "quiet" apparel when on my bike and this cop (it's always the same one) usually misses me by millilmetres (since I used to continuously lose my footing on my off-side pedal and accidentally give his patrol car a shoeing the first 3 or 4 times he went past in an aggressive manner).

Get in the car and surprise surprise the arseholes are still all out there (nonagenerians, generic myopic fuckwits, I-pay-my-council-tax-so-I-can-just-step-out-without-looking arseholes), just there's more metal between me and them.

I'll tell you what's wrong, there are too many cyclists ( and drivers) making up their own highway code!

The amount of times that I am sat at a set of traffic lights on red, or at a pelican crossing, and A cyclist sneeks through while they're still on red is too numerous to mention. They'll either sneek through, or just hop onto the pavement and then rejoin the road after. Zebra crossings are another favorite. I'll stop and wait until the crossing is empty - pratt on a bike just goes up the inside.

Lights! It's 7:30 am in January, and they have no lights on. Again, not unique to cyclists, but come on, give us a chance to at least see you and then we might avoid you. and I am sure that a great deal of card drivers think "well I can see okay so I don't need lights". Err, I'm sorry, but half of the function of lights is that others can see you!

Basically, a large number cyclists, card drivers, van drivers, taxi drivers, bus drivers and lorry drivers are shit at it.

Ian

Some drivers simply don't know how much room to give a cyclist, some cyclists believe that red lights and one way streets don't apply to them, people that cycle at a decent speed frequently catch out drivers who expect them to be moving at a snails pace all examples of bad usage of the roads.

There needs to be more consideration shown by all road users. In the snowy weather people were much more aware of the "risks" and considerate driving was much more the norm now its back to "normal" its as bad as ever.

As has been said stay safe.

IanM said:
I'll tell you what's wrong, there are too many cyclists ( and drivers) making up their own highway code!

The amount of times that I am sat at a set of traffic lights on red, or at a pelican crossing, and A cyclist sneeks through while they're still on red is too numerous to mention. They'll either sneek through, or just hop onto the pavement and then rejoin the road after. Zebra crossings are another favorite. I'll stop and wait until the crossing is empty - pratt on a bike just goes up the inside.

Lights! It's 7:30 am in January, and they have no lights on. Again, not unique to cyclists, but come on, give us a chance to at least see you and then we might avoid you. and I am sure that a great deal of card drivers think "well I can see okay so I don't need lights". Err, I'm sorry, but half of the function of lights is that others can see you!

Basically, a large number cyclists, card drivers, van drivers, taxi drivers, bus drivers and lorry drivers are shit at it.

Ian

Very true. One of the things i hate is people with no lights on. Car drivers and cyclists. Cyclists it seems to be more at night when they dont have lights on. I normally find car drivers are bad at it when its getting dark and they just dont bother to put on their lights, or have a light out.
Personally i have two lights on the back with 3 LEDs in each, then a small one with one LED in. The same is also on the front, plus one on the front and back of my helmet(very useful in traffic)
Jumping red lights another thing i hate. Doesnt take long normally, and if you can get it right you can still keep rolling.
There are a few places around here where cars dont stop for red lights. Just keep going through, which can be abit worrying when on a bike going through the junction and your not sure if the car is just braking late or going to jump it.

Jeltz said:
Some drivers simply don't know how much room to give a cyclist, some cyclists believe that red lights and one way streets don't apply to them, people that cycle at a decent speed frequently catch out drivers who expect them to be moving at a snails pace all examples of bad usage of the roads.

There needs to be more consideration shown by all road users. In the snowy weather people were much more aware of the "risks" and considerate driving was much more the norm now its back to "normal" its as bad as ever.

As has been said stay safe.

Very true.
Personally, ive cycled in a few places.
England, Wales, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Chek Republic, and in those places its much nicer to cycle.
Holland isnt bad, but you have to stay in the cycling lanes/paths and its hard to keep a constant speed. Also no hills.
Germany, Belgium and Switzerland are quite nice aswell. Much nicer roads there aswell.
Luxembourg and Switzerland are the only places i had to use abit of vocal on a few car drivers.

If only, if only..........

Jeltz said:
Thankfully my area has mostly good drivers but its the tossers you tend to remember.

I go into too much of a wide area.
There are a few roads i now hate to ride down, and sometimes just wont ride down them because of idiot drivers. A few years ago i wouldn't think anything of riding down them. Now i hate it, drivers just coming past close instead of waiting a few seconds for a gap.
I do remember the good drivers, theres been many. Infact, on one ride i had a lorry driver sit far behind because he couldnt over take. After a while i pulled into a junction. There were cars behind and i was just sat there, no one would let me go. The cars could easily get past.
Luckily a tipper driver let me go(surprising, they are normally going flat out ;) ) which was very nice. Turned a ride with bad drivers into a nice one at the end.

I was also called a murderer for being a cyclist aswell by a mad woman in a car :?

Back
Top Bottom