Brut Aftershave

Everywhere I look there are 100ml glass bottles of this stuff for sale in most chemists and supermarkets. Does anyone use it, rate it, have it?

The only Brut I remember was by Faberge, from about 1974 when Henry urged us to splash it all over. It was in an odd shaped tall plastic bottle then and it stank.

I do recall that we all smelt like tarts' handbags but hey, glam rock was in it's pomp! However to be fair I think that I hated Tabac at that point too.

So, to follow Henry's suggested advice, should I have some Brut spalshed on my face...? ** :shock:

<<Wanders around singing the chorus from 'Street Life'...............>>

(** ;) ...cue Pig Cat)

I remember the stuff that stunk. At 12-13 I had deodorant, talc, and aftershave (didn't even shave then). It was rank.

The US brut smells great (Elvis wore it), if its the same as that it would be good.

The current Brut AS is really a "Brut Lite". It doesn't smell of much and I doubt it'll smell of that for long. I can't use anything with an alcohol base on my face as it causes severe irritation & skin breakouts. However I do still get away with the Brut cologne in the glass bottle with the classic Brut medallion. I get it online from Carbolic Soap Co, but you can probs pick it up at market stalls etc. If you want the scent then that's the one to go for imo.

JohnnyO. :geek:

I was still a wee bit young for Bruts heyday - Drakkar Noir and Kouros were my Eau de honk.

However i do own some and remember the scent as it was one of my Dads favorites.
As said its not as heady as the Original Brut but still has the memorable tang about it.
Its ok as an aftershave, but i tend not to use Alcohol based products for shaving now so it rarely gets a look in.

Wife thinks it smells nice enough for round the house. Id not wear it out tho.

The scent of my school years; almost every lad in the class wore this - liberally. Probably a breach of H&S nowadays. When 'Enry said, "Splash it on all ovah" we did. :)

NatJag said:
(Elvis wore it),

Hardly a glowing recommendation, given that he also had a liking for white jump-suits, and cheeseburgers by the lorry load :lol:

My Dad had Brut bought for him for during the 70's. I don't recall it being an unpleasant smell, but I do recall that some of the bottles had medallions on them.

I must admit, like Blyth, I have seen them and been tempted.

Ian

I've got a bottle of the Brut lotion. This one
brut_splash_on_lotion_7031.jpg

Does a decent job as an aftershave but I'm not really sure if that's what it's meant to be. It was cheaper than the glass bottle with a medallion and on special. Is there much of a difference?

Ahem

I have the deodorant and the aftershave. Wearing both now in fact. I don't think the smell is as strong as it was years ago but it was particularly strong then. Flies would drop out of the air each time you entered a room.
I quite like the smell and the scent of both seem to last for a long time. I can still smell the deodorant when I go to bed.
If you like the smell then go for it. I like the aftershave because its cheap, lasts a long time and the smell is ok. In that order.

That's the "Lite" jobby Proin, the glass container is a pump action and is way closer to the original Faberge in the early 60s, before it was diluted to 33%. Thing I always noticed with the Brut was that it seemed to get stronger when the skin was wet, less noticeable if not. So if you were sweating heavily veritable waves of the stuff came steaming off you.

JohnnyO. :cool:

Brut luvly stuff, not as strong as it was when I used to use it nearly 40 years ago, but its cheap as chips £2.99 a bottle, I remember when I was a teen at christmas I always got the gift set from my parents, AS,talc and soap on a rope.

T

*now where's me bus pass*

Well...I drifted into ASDA after work and bought a bottle and you know what? It's not unpleasant at all. Nowhere near as obnoxious as I (albeit vaguely) remember it.

This is the 100ml glass bottle not the plastic tall one.

For completeness I also bought a 50ml bottle/atomiser of AquaTonic AS. For 25/- (that's a whole £1.25 for the younger members) it was worth the risk. It's produced in the UAE but it's not great and I think that it will end up in my desk at work (ahem, next to the Woods of Windsor AS) for use in absolute emergencies only. It describes itself as (and I quote) "An exilarating blend of fresh herbs, bergamot and ozonic accords are enhanced with the base notes of precious woods and skin musk." Quite, as I said...in the desk for emergencies only.

:roll:

Was the "Aquatonic" not the one which Kelly Le Broc used to advertise ? Later got renamed "Oceanic" or summat similar, about the same time that "Brut Passion & Brut Musk" ASs came out.

Don't forget Blythster .......... tell the boys down at the gymn that 'Enry sent you !

JohnnyO. :cool: <<<<<<<<<That's my "kool" Brut face !

JohnnyO said:
Was the "Aquatonic" not the one which Kelly Le Broc used to advertise ? Later got renamed "Oceanic" or summat similar, about the same time that "Brut Passion & Brut Musk" ASs came out.

Don't forget Blythster .......... tell the boys down at the gymn that 'Enry sent you !

JohnnyO. :cool: <<<<<<<<<That's my "kool" Brut face !

Aquatonic? No idea really. I only got it because it was cheap and so am I. ;)

The Gym??? That'll be the day. :shock:
Actually, I simply lift Mrs Spirit's purse and do a few reps with that. As for having a six pack, I look like I have the full keg.

Our 'enry. Yep but let's not forget Kevin Keegan and Barry Sheene. Heroes all.

:lol:

UPDATE: The Brut still smells well.

Back
Top Bottom