Brush upgrade

I think the question you have to answer is, 'how do you want your Hayrali to behave differently?' You can then choose a high end brush to your specifications. From the off you will feel, see and enjoy a noticeable difference, but spending a large amount of money; you want to get closer to perfection.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ask anyone who upgraded to a Shavemac in any of the group buys. The difference this will make to your shaving is as big a difference as moving from canned goop to Phoenix & Beau, or a cartridge to a 1912. You'll find my comments in a number of threads but needless to say, since I recieved the recent DO1, I'm going to find it almost impossible to use any of my other brushes. The next time I do, it'll be another Shavemac which I'm in the process of sorting - yes, I'm THAT impressed!

Instead of staring at the neighbours grass, jump over the fence and find out for yourself.

My badgers in full bloom with hand made handles are definitely prettier to look at and got tons of personality compared to my synthetic brushes but in use at 6.30 in the morning same, same lather and shave :)

I think the question you have to answer is, 'how do you want your Hayrali to behave differently?' You can then choose a high end brush to your specifications. From the off you will feel, see and enjoy a noticeable difference, but spending a large amount of money; you want to get closer to perfection.

I'm going to agree with Nishy one this one, a Thater or Shavemac will be a massive upgrade and a worthwhile investment, but what hair? Finest, three band, two band? What loft? What knot size? Which knot shape? Most of the people who upgraded during the group buy had been at this long enough to have an idea of what they liked.

I think the OP would be best served by working out what he doesn't like about his current brushes, and what he thinks he'd like before jumping in and investing in a brush that doesn't suit him. It would be a massive disappointment for him to spend all that money and then when he tried the brush be underwhelmed.

Thanks for all the input chaps, I really am overwhelmed with all the advice.

Decided to go ahead with my original thought of a Muhle synthetic as they are relatively inexpensive and will by all accounts be an improvement over my current pair. As/when the time is nigh I can move onto something more exotic and then the Muhle will remain a useful travel brush. During the interim I'll pick up others along the way & gain some insight as to what does/doesn't work for me. To sum up with a cliche... The journey is more important than the destination :)

It's no secret that I abhor badger - horrid things! Piggy, I like; Synthetic, I love.

You've already mentioned the Muhle Silvertip Fibre and if you get one synthetic, that should be it - it's miles better than the ("hallowed") Plisson, performs well, feels great, quick, simple and easy to use ... as a brush should be.

If you're hankering for a more massaging brush, go boar! Blonde boar, soaked for a couple of minutes in warm water is just lovely. Perfect balance of scritch and softness. Skin responds well to bristle for some reason. Lathering up with a boar, face lathered, is just lovely.

There you go ... no need to break the bank: Muhle Silvertip Fibre (go 23mm, BTW) and a blonde Semogue boar. Sorted.

It's no secret that I abhor badger - horrid things! Piggy, I like; Synthetic, I love.

You've already mentioned the Muhle Silvertip Fibre and if you get one synthetic, that should be it - it's miles better than the ("hallowed") Plisson, performs well, feels great, quick, simple and easy to use ... as a brush should be.

If you're hankering for a more massaging brush, go boar! Blonde boar, soaked for a couple of minutes in warm water is just lovely. Perfect balance of scritch and softness. Skin responds well to bristle for some reason. Lathering up with a boar, face lathered, is just lovely.

There you go ... no need to break the bank: Muhle Silvertip Fibre (go 23mm, BTW) and a blonde Semogue boar. Sorted.

Now I was a firm Badger lover, but that has changed. I was lucky to be given a Vie Long Synthetic to review a while ago.

At first it was a little on the springy side, lather everywhere ! But that I've put down to technique and it's brilliant now. Don't know if it's just me but it even appears to clean easier.

Second to that has to be my 1305, nicely broken in and lovely and soft.

Now I was a firm Badger lover, but that has changed. I was lucky to be given a Vie Long Synthetic to review a while ago.

At first it was a little on the springy side, lather everywhere ! But that I've put down to technique and it's brilliant now. Don't know if it's just me but it even appears to clean easier.

Second to that has to be my 1305, nicely broken in and lovely and soft.

I have a whipped dog that is springy too, the RazorRock on the other hand is not. I like em both and I rarely get the Omega 49 out now!

That's great to hear, It's a done deal :) I must say you have touched on something there as I do find the Haryali badger to be a bit itchy/irritating, I had assumed more expensive one's would be softer but if that is typical of badgers count me out.

I'll report back once I've got one...The question now is ivory, black or faux horn ?

That's great to hear, It's a done deal :) I must say you have touched on something there as I do find the Haryali badger to be a bit itchy/irritating, I had assumed more expensive one's would be softer but if that is typical of badgers count me out.

I'll report back once I've got one...The question now is ivory, black or faux horn ?
If you select a high quality badger with the correct knot size for you, in this case you would experience zero irritation.

Back
Top Bottom