Bluffers Guide to British Triple Milled

My head hurts now ...

ABLVV85s_V2jBS3ZUNDHgaoEfZQOqLAsLTtgsGo7UyexjZQwIsARcJehNJIOpK42cyqe9EhEhkogajOwYYJnwg-YMQtBqxViwV4r8vtEA0bGhOAUzyLaFtXeA86pMCX5BuScIEOC38wfjliuwHJWnw2UHI1F_g=w1600

Deeper dive on Floris as owner of Broad Oak Toiletries and I'm seeing something like five or even six core formulations across a decade, but it boils down to:

Tallowate
Stearate-first
Potassium Palmate ... Stearate
Potassium Palmate ... no Stearate
Sodium Palmate (all Sodium) < the "Dark Age"
Potassium Palmate ... Shea Butter

Getting this nailed down has been the key to understanding TOBS, who were the beneficiary of the Floris/Broad Oak formulation in the mainline products with their Traditional line suffering the Standard Company derailment and subsequent reformulation to something that I just can't pin anywhere else ... hence the constant questions in the posts above.

I still don't know if TOBS suffered a "Dark Age" like Floris, Pen's & C&E or T&H & GFT but they do get bracketed into "the three T's" and so we have to assume they did although I'm not seeing it (yet) on paper or finding direct evidence in period posts. We do know that Pen's and C&E were beneficiaries of the Broad Oak formulation as well, but it appears to be a subtle twist on the Floris formulation.

Once Broad Oak was retired by Floris (subsequently bought by Potter & Moore - stock and equipment with no human resource noted and then dissolved in 2019), Pen's & C&E pretty much chucked in the towel after one or two rounds with the poor performing Soapworks formulation, which appears to be the blight across the certainly two of the three T's being T&H & GFT. Floris themselves came up with a formulation that made for very scant reading and then reformulated in or around 2018 to the delight of customers who know a good shaving soap and that's the shea-enriched formulation selling today.

That shea-enriched formulation appears to be shared by T&H in a second line (Apsley) while their mainstream line moved to a new Sodium Palmate first (but good) formulation that brushes very close to the pre-2011 Standard Company formulation and that was picked up by TOBS in their Traditional line.

I have tried to list out the most important features of the formulations below the main table so that folks hunting this stuff down can get a very clear idea of what they're buying when they find "vintage soap" out there. Notice that I've guided the colouring back to traffic lights, so green is good (dark green somewhat better), amber is kinda still a dunno and red is to be avoided - I've also given the tallowate soaps recognition through changing the text to white.

Finally, I still have a notion that the vintage Boots line is in some way connection to Broad Oak but there does appear to be fork pre-2011 and Boots remain consistent with what we see in more European formulations (Muhle, Edwin Jagger, DVH, etc) than how Floris, Pen's, C&E & TOBS panned out through the 2010s ... and their (Boots, Muhle, etc) formulations ran straight through the Broak Oak closure without issue. Still pondering this one ...

Detail is fun, but I think we need a crib-sheet:

ABLVV87bGUGu2yTuUgZ-ZlpAMdSMe1b1iOSyMh9HWCvhy_2WQIuo1f-3y9RuTVI5Sp6g09uy_Msv5oYTZIEZWQ130ED-KmVIO3hnIZLcjVKiJad51r8TbWAj2EFEGx2JheEkQPaaKLX6FRahnX_bzVd3X44TQg=w1200

Key
Green is good, dark green "gooder".
Red is bad.
Blue are variations of the 2024 formulations that are unfolding, but all good. Consider blue as an age of enlightenment, if you will.
White text is for tallow soaps.

Vintage tallow is all over the place, but I think we can agree that "they're the great ones" and so I've just listed "T" as the ingredients and moved on. The rest of the codes are self-explanatory once you look at the ingredient lists in full and give us a shortcut to the summary - yes, I've ignored the placement of Aqua/Water (since they're triple-milled and so water is pretty much expelled post-saponation/saponification?) and of Glycerin since it's both an ingredient and a by-product (from what little I actually know about soap making).

I've tried to put useful notes in and embolden really useful items. I've also speculatively put 2024 boxes for the crap soaps still out there in the hope that they'll ... errr, reform? reformulate! and the pending release of the Floris shea-enriched base, which I think we'll see from T&H Apsley reformulation first (like we've yet to see DRH's but get a very good idea from the current Captain Fawcett - yes, CF is the Cap, not Castle Forbes).

There are a couple of observations for folks unwilling to risk buying vintage but just want a taste ...

If you were to own the vegetal Tabac from 2021 (or the very latest TOBS 2024 base), that formulation is potentially a revival of the legacy Floris/TOBS Stearate base which was around before the turbulent decade of the 2010s. Likewise, if you're quick and bag a current tablet of TOBS Traditional then you'll have a soap that's very much akin to Standard Company base pre-2011.

Last edited:
It amuses me how you've put 'unlikely' for the GFT soap

Haha!

Actually, it is based on some rational thinking ... the current reformulation (the ones in blue) are most likely down to the EU's deadline on Pentesodium Pentetate back in December 2023. Neither the current GFT or the recently reformulated C&S have this ingredient and so there's no urgency for them to do anything.

Soaps like Tabac or Speick who reformulated in 2021 to this new-style of formulation BUT still had Pentesodium Pentetate in will likely silently reformulate again shortly and replace that with Tetrasodium Iminodisuccinate in line with everyone else's VERY similar formulations.

I do hope the weight of the market from a supplier-side comes to bear on GFT (and C&S) because they do have superb scents and once great reputations. These houses on the current T&H & DRH formulations would be perfect!

My head hurts now ...

Deeper dive on Floris as owner of Broad Oak Toiletries and I'm seeing something like five or even six core formulations across a decade, but it boils down to:

Tallowate
Stearate-first
Potassium Palmate ... Stearate
Potassium Palmate ... no Stearate
Sodium Palmate (all Sodium) < the "Dark Age"
Potassium Palmate ... Shea Butter

... and I find another confirmed "bad" formulation for Floris making it five reformulations during the 2010s with a legacy Stearate (c.1980s and quite common with TOBS and Boots of the era) and an older Tallowate (c.1970s):

Vintage Tallowate < assumed "good"
Soap Base, Fragrance, Glycerin, Mineral Oil, Titanium Dioxide

Legacy Stearate <much in common with legacy Boots (c.1980s)
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Cocoate, Aqua (Water), Parfum (Fragarance), Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Silicate, Magnesium Sulfate

Floris Potassium Palmate A < Floris/Broad Oak Toiletries "good" (c.early 2010s?)
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Linalool, Coumarin, Evernia Furfuracea (Treemoss) Extract, Geraniol, Limonene, Eugenol, Cinnamal, Citronellol, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

Floris Potassium Palmate B < Floris/Broad Oak Toiletries "good" (c.early 2010s?)
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Acid, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Coumarin, Citral, Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract, Benzyl Benzoate, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

Floris Sodium Palmate A < Floris/Broad Oak Toiletries "bad" (pre-2016?)
Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palmate, Aqua (Water), Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Fatty Acid, Sodium Chloride, CI 77891, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Coumarin

Floris Sodium Palmate B (Shea-Enriched) < Floris/Broad Oak Toiletries "bad" (photographed 2013 so, pre-Floris/Broad Oak split, so pre/post-2016?)
Sodium Palmate, Aqua (Water), Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionene, Linalool, Eugenol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Benzyl Alcohol, Citral, Geraniol, Coumarin, Citronellol, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

Floris Shea-Enriched < Floris "good" (c.2018)
Potassium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmate, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Limonene, Linalool, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Geraniol, Coumarin, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

... and this is where it's really hazy because we know that Floris & Broad Oak Toiletries parted ways in 2016 with Potter & Moore picking up the stock and equipment. TOBS had a known reformulation in 2016 but I'm not finding anything for Floris until 2018.

This tells us that either Floris had already moved to a non-Broad Oak Toiletries formulation prior to 2016 (and I'm thinking 2013 given I have a confirmed photograph from that year of a very Soapworks-later like formulation but shea-enriched) or that my assumption that GFT's second bad reformulation was Soapworks is wrong and it's actually some other manufacturer. This makes some sense as we're also seeing this formulation for C&E & Pen's who we know were also on Broad Oak Toiletries formulations ... and Boots who appear to have some common heritage with Floris & TOBS and also M&S with current M&S and Bulldog also on this bad type of formulation.

Maybe Broad Oak Toiletries got something very wrong somewhere prior to 2013 hence the flurry of reformulations within the Floris line (Floris owned Broad Oak Toiletries) and other names like TOBS, C&E & Pen's who were recipients of these formulations ... other suppliers were used and finally Floris ditch Broad Oak Toiletries in 2016; meanwhile, C&E & Pen's give up on shaving soap altogether. Maybe those other suppliers were also reached out to by, say, GFT who moved onto that formulation after such negative feedback of their Soapworks choice.

So, "Soapworks II" in the chart could well be A.N.Other ... and that does make a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom