Blades that you've tried and wished you hadn't

I have always felt the same about the BlueBird mystery myself, re-branded Derby product. However they are a hot item over here. As of yet no one even knows what country they originate from.

Agree with andyjreid on this one, Gillette Swedes, love `em but can`t get hold of `em.
Ones I don`t like are Derby`s, Dorco`s , Lords, Treet and Trig.

Love feather, croma, crystal

Not got round to trying the Gillette 7 o clocks, yet.

DORCO 301 - A review

Shit Sandwich

I'm usually quite lucky inasmuch as I can get a decent shave out of most blades and mixing and matching blades can usually turn a mediocre blade into a very good one.

I got some Dorcos free. Even that was too much. In my Merkur HD - my default razor for testing new blades - I still wasn't smooth after four passes. I tried them in a Slim dialled up to 9 - nothing. A Vision at top whack - still crud.

Having slagged them off, they work very nicely in my Shavette - probably because I feel happier with the mildest of blades.

The only ones I have regretted thus far are when I tried to use my supermarket bought Wilkinson Sword blades for a 4th time. Bad idea.

They are OK up about 2-3 uses though.

BIC Platinum Chrome

Awful! Used one for first time today. Blunt as.... a Derby? Perhaps even worse.

Got half way through first pass and swapped out with a 2x used Iridium, night and day!! :mrgreen:

watchfan said:
Fido said:
I had to try a Feather after hearing others rave about them. But. They are much too sharp for me. My worst experience since going back to wet shaving.

Me too, thought these were going to be the bees knees after all the hype but they were brutal.

Think they even gave me a rash in the end.

Ooh now I am getting a bit scared to try my Feathers............... :shock: :shock:

jhclare said:
BIC Platinum Chrome

Awful! Used one for first time today. Blunt as.... a Derby? Perhaps even worse.

Got half way through first pass and swapped out with a 2x used Iridium, night and day!! :mrgreen:

I got on well with them in my sampler, you want rid of the rest? Would like to try some more to see if it was a fluke, will cover costs.

missingskin said:
Ooh now I am getting a bit scared to try my Feathers............... :shock: :shock:

They're nothing other than yet another razor blade - I've had plenty more brutal feeling shaves than I have with a feather - that said, they're not for me - too much crash & burn (they seem to fall off a cliff in terms of smoothness after the third shave, sometimes part way through it)

Personally I'm not too found of Personnas, I've been working my way through a sample pack and started off with Derbys which were OK, then Wilkinson Sword Classics again pretty so-so, I had my first shave with a Personna the other night and it just bounced, pulled and scraped everywhere and I'd only shaved the day before. Usually I shave every 2-3 days as my beard grows quite slowly and I've got sensitive skin so can't irritate it too much but I was anxious to lather up again and finished wishing I hadn't bothered, there was too much pulling and bloody pockmarks everywhere where they just scratched the skin off...Will try again tonight though, who knows it may just be technique. The blades are pretty cheap though and it doesn't intill much confidence in me to see that they're Morrisons flagship DE blade, they've brought these in over Wilkinson Sword Classics which are much better IMHO..

... there are many contrasting opinions! I thought the red personnas were nowhere near the sharpest blade but they were definately pretty smoothe.

I tried a kai blade and couldn't stand it. Tried it in 2 different razors. Awful. not smoothe at all. Much prefer a feather. Such a thing as a 'bad batch' ?

hunnymonster said:
missingskin said:

They're nothing other than yet another razor blade - I've had plenty more brutal feeling shaves than I have with a feather - that said, they're not for me - too much crash & burn (they seem to fall off a cliff in terms of smoothness after the third shave, sometimes part way through it)
Tried a Feathers blade today in my 34c and I have got the best shave so far........ :shave :shave

Back
Top Bottom