Blades that you've tried and wished you hadn't

For me the two that stick out like a sore chin:

7am (not 7 o'clock) from Bangladesh - 1st one in the pack of 5 was ok, 2nd one was rubbish, 3rd was worse, 4th was spectacular. I wasn't willing to play Bangladeshi roulette with the 5th.
Laser (from Wilkinson - the shop, not the Sword) - they fully lived up to their 39p/5 price tag. The edges weren't even enough to remove paint from glass (you know when you over paint the gloss on to the glass). My considerably dimensioned posterior is sharper than these.

OK the ones that I had to stop shaving with immediatley lest I do harm to myself were Wilkinson Sword (Not the classic) DE cheapo blade which can be found in most pharmacies. Also I did not take to the BIC blades, pulled something rotten, not as bad as the cheap wilkinsons though.

I'll get some flak for this but...

Derbys!

Recommended by many for newbie DE shavers, and I don't know why.

They're pretty blunt - lots of pulling, and give me irritation without fail.

Not a patch on Red IPs, Crystals, or my current favourite - Feathers! :mrgreen:

I have to disagree with the statement on the Derby and the Red Personna :D . Funny how much difference people can get in a blade, I find the Red Personnas pull,dull and generally worth about 1 shave whereas the Derby was a joy.Maybe it is down to beard type?

I have never gotten a good shave with a Derby. I will eventually use the couple of blades I have left, however. Maybe it will change with my technique improving.

I've been having a bit of bad luck, maybe my technique is getting worse, but the Bluebird (PIF'ed by Septic) cut me up a lot on my second and third shaves with it. First shave was much better.

Regarding the cheap Wilkinson's: these are very good to me, but only for the first shave. I'll sometimes use them a second time, but won't try for a very close shave. They are thin, light and sharp for one shave only.

g-train said:
I have never gotten a good shave with a Derby. I will eventually use the couple of blades I have left, however. Maybe it will change with my technique improving.

I've been having a bit of bad luck, maybe my technique is getting worse, but the Bluebird (PIF'ed by Septic) cut me up a lot on my second and third shaves with it. First shave was much better.

I thought there was decent enough evidence to suggest that Bluebirds are just rebadged Derbies?

Boab said:
I have to disagree with the statement on the Derby and the Red Personna :D . Funny how much difference people can get in a blade, I find the Red Personnas pull,dull and generally worth about 1 shave whereas the Derby was a joy.Maybe it is down to beard type?

Yeah, it must be why YMMV was invented.

I have had the odd pulling sensation with a Red - I put it down to bad prep at the time, or maybe a bad blade. There are QC inconsistencies I'm sure with any blade!

antdad said:
g-train said:

I thought there was decent enough evidence to suggest that Bluebirds are just rebadged Derbies?

I've read that they are made by the same company, but are quite different. To me they are sharper than Derby, which tends to tug a lot for me. Bluebirds felt pretty smooth and sharp but left me with lots of cuts.

It makes a big difference what order you try them in. For example, i used the personnas first, found them ok. I then used Derbys and thought i was in heaven. Then i tried 7 yellows and was impressed. After that when i tried to use derbys they just felt dull and pulled. With blades, the smoother you get them, the less you can use the middle of the road brands, imho.

Back
Top Bottom