Blade Life...

So for the past few months I've been experimenting with how many decent shaves I can get with a DE blade using different razors.
One shaver from a different blog got up to 30 shaves with a particular blade...I had no idea. Some folks have gotten even more. Now before dismissing this as something of a "Unicorn" in terms of longevity, I decided to try it myself. The test blade was a Gillette 7 O'Clock "Ninja". I went through my razor rotation and the blade just kept delivering. I got to 16 and decided that was far enough. Not that I couldn't get more shaves but that I didn't want to. I have plenty of blades I like and don't need to stretch them out too far. So 10 is the number for me unless of course I get a "dud" blade which does happen from time to time.
So I'm now using a GSB which has 9 very good comfortable shaves on it. One more and it's done. I should be set for blades until as such time I forget how to shave. Hah!
Cheers!
200w.gif

I start getting ingrowers quite routinely if I push past generally three shaves off any given DE blade. There's a small few that I can guarantee four shaves without issue, but pushing onto five will give me the same issue. This is observed across a good decade of experimentation with blades.

... yes, I could probably get 10+ but there'd be issues.

Last edited:
Similar for me. I can usually get three shaves out of a really good blade and two out of a half-decent one.
I think the most I've comfortably done is 8, but that's very uncommon.
I aim for 4 and settle for 3. Sensitive skin and wiry stubble that grows quickly limits my blade and razor choices a little, but not as much as always striving for a really close shave (even though I'll shave again 24-48 hours later regardless!)

From a SE blade (Feather ProGuard, Feather Professional, Schick Proline…) I get an average of 10 three pass shaves.
From a DE blade it is far less: 3 or 4 shaves.
Remarkable: the first shave with a new blade is never a really good one. I have the impression that blades improve on sharpness after the first time they’re used. Are there any tips to avoid such a negative first use experience?

Remarkable: the first shave with a new blade is never a really good one. I have the impression that blades improve on sharpness after the first time they’re used. Are there any tips to avoid such a negative first use experience?

I quite agree and certainly enjoy the second shave the most, generally. Some folks claim a light stropping ... back and forth a few times across the fleshy part of your palm. That said, many blades do state: "Do not wipe" as it can remove the coating. I doubt stropping has any effect on sputtered edges.

My step-son says 20-30 off a single blade.

I broke my record recently, just over 20 from a Gillette Platinum (Light Blue, which is different to the Dark Blue one).

The only way I can get a lot of shaves from a blade is if I start the blade off in a mild razor then shift it up more efficient razors for consecutive days. The blade isn't massively sharp but I get an comfortable shave in a few passes.

I can only do this with a few blades though. Some blades will give ingrowns after a few shaves so I bin those after 2/3 shaves.

Feather AC blades tend to do to 7-10 for me - I stop using them once that day one crispness starts to drop off. Life ain't worth a bad shave and ingrowers. GEM blades will to 10-15 and just seem to get better and better.

I am very lucky to have a box of NOS Damaskeene blades, which I think are probably from the 1920s? I've used one so far (you get 7 in a box) and over the years that I've been using it, I've put on easily more than 40 shaves ... probably 50+ now, but I've stopped counting. I last used this blade on Boxing Day (see: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...day-29-december-2023.59299/page-8#post-937972) and it just wanted the usual 50 laps up and down the strop for a lovely, smooth shave.

Back
Top Bottom