Blade Life...

I go 10 on polsilvers. Have been up to 20 but dialed it back. After a decade of 1-3 per blade too, until I read the various Excalibur threads on other forums - some guys do hundreds on a blade. I do find the 10 become ever-smoother, which had been missing ironically by chucking after 3 before. Can’t get above 5 on any other blade though, and polsilvers are now hard to come by

although it's wasteful I use DE bladed only once (except the rare cases when I use Kai or Feather). Invariably I get irritation if I use them more.
With SE blades, as they are significantly more expensive I try to use them at least 5 times with some disinfection in between

although it's wasteful I use DE bladed only once (except the rare cases when I use Kai or Feather). Invariably I get irritation if I use them more.
With SE blades, as they are significantly more expensive I try to use them at least 5 times with some disinfection in between
I’m not saying your wrong here you’ll know your skin better than anyone however what i don’t understand is when people say they only use a blade once due to irritation.
For me and i know some others feel the same i get better shaves 2nd & most of the time 3rd shaves as well.
Some blades perform at their best once you’ve taken that edge off.
iv also heard of people running a blade down a piece of cork to take that initial sharpness away.
As i say im not criticising & you’ll know best but for me a blade is at its best / smoothest after the first shave.
I know others that only use blades once and to me they are missing out on what potentially could be a brilliant blade

I just tried a bic chrome platinum for the first time and shave 2,3 and 4 we’re definitely
a lot smoother than the first shave.
I've come to really appreciate the BIC Chrome Platinum having previously cited it as possibly the worst blade I used. I think that goes back to when I first came to traditional shaving and had little idea how to handle such a sharp blade. Yes, the first run through you've to take care and it should be pretty plain sailing thereafter. The more I use them though, the less I seem to have to worry about that first run through.

Blades and blade usage are the most YMMV factor in shaving so I don't have much to add but in relation to dud blades, I feel many times it's the skin having a mild reaction to the soap fragrance and the blade feels dull and/or rough.

Since switching to unscented soap, I haven't had one single "dud" blade.

So for the past few months I've been experimenting with how many decent shaves I can get with a DE blade using different razors.
One shaver from a different blog got up to 30 shaves with a particular blade...I had no idea. Some folks have gotten even more. Now before dismissing this as something of a "Unicorn" in terms of longevity, I decided to try it myself. The test blade was a Gillette 7 O'Clock "Ninja". I went through my razor rotation and the blade just kept delivering. I got to 16 and decided that was far enough. Not that I couldn't get more shaves but that I didn't want to. I have plenty of blades I like and don't need to stretch them out too far. So 10 is the number for me unless of course I get a "dud" blade which does happen from time to time.
So I'm now using a GSB which has 9 very good comfortable shaves on it. One more and it's done. I should be set for blades until as such time I forget how to shave. Hah!
Cheers!
View attachment 115265

Back
Top Bottom