Blade disposal slots and disposal of used blades. Some thoughts.

I was just curious if anyone actually uses the blade disposal slots on the back of some brands of blade dispensers. For example, Feather and Wilkinson have these.

I was just thinking that they’re a great idea for safety reasons. However, for environmental reasons, in my mind, using these slots would create the same problems as cartridges and disposable razors create. That is that the steel and plastic can longer be easily recycled once they’re combined. So instead of being recycled, used blades and dispensers will likely end on a landfill. Not good in my opinion.

Just curious how you all think about these slots. And if you don’t use ‘m, how do you actually safely dispose of used blades?
I use a old horseradish jar, because it was ready at the right time.

I'm looking for an equivalent to the plastic tuck for travelling as I find them very handy for disposing of used blades on the road and don’t want to be carrying bulky tins.

At the moment I’m re-using an old one: emptying it carefully, putting the replacement wrapped blades and then sealing it with some tape. But it’s not a long term item…

Reactions: J23
I don't use the slots. I bought a piggy bank just like yours, only instead of money it has dinosaurs on it :cool:
The empty plastic dispencers I use for blades that come in cardboard dispensers

Reactions: J23
For small volume use on the road, how about an old Mints tin ? The upright Smints ones are very usefull for storing stuff and you could probably get 30 or more blades in one easily.
Took a little while to eat the contents, but I’m now using an Aldi smint-like tin. Works well, I put a cardboard divider in so have a tuck of fresh blades and space for plenty of used blades. Thanks, @Zorro, for the suggestion.

I repurposed an M&S mixed nuts tin (seemed appropriate). It’s recyclable so when full can be taped up and taken to recycling centre.
Or…
I’m collecting the blades in the little plastic boxes they came in so when enough have been collected they can be transferred to one of the Jiffy bags I got from Gillette and sent off to Terracycle.
…I haven’t decided yet, but there is no hurry, could take me years!

372C232A-3989-439C-9BE1-3EFBCF503292.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_20231114_012551.jpg

The one on the left, the black one, works alright but is small, has a metal bottom, and it's expensive. The next one, blue, is or was a moneybox. It's bigger. The Gentleman one is enormous - same height as a toilet roll (were you wondering why I put it there?) and cost me £1.97 inc VAT and postage from Temu. It will outlast me. It has a metal lid. If you have more money than sense you'll buy it from Amazon for £10 plus postage.

Last edited:
View attachment 113405

The one on the left, the black one, works alright but is small, has a metal bottom, and it's expensive. The next one, blue, is or was a moneybox. It's bigger. The Gentleman one is enormous - same height as a toilet roll (were you wondering why I put it there?) and cost me £1.97 inc VAT and postage from Temu. It will outlast me. It has a metal lid. If you have more money than sense you'll buy it from Amazon for £10 plus postage.
My wife has recently bought me the small black one. It was thoughtful of her. I'm concerned it may rust as the whole thing is metal.
I still have my glass jar if it does.

Back
Top Bottom