Blade disposal slots and disposal of used blades. Some thoughts.

J23

I was just curious if anyone actually uses the blade disposal slots on the back of some brands of blade dispensers. For example, Feather and Wilkinson have these.

I was just thinking that they’re a great idea for safety reasons. However, for environmental reasons, in my mind, using these slots would create the same problems as cartridges and disposable razors create. That is that the steel and plastic can longer be easily recycled once they’re combined. So instead of being recycled, used blades and dispensers will likely end on a landfill. Not good in my opinion.

Just curious how you all think about these slots. And if you don’t use ‘m, how do you actually safely dispose of used blades?

I’m still searching for a non plastic alternate to feather for exactly that reason
There are plenty of sharp blades with more longevity than Feathers. Permasharps & Nacets spring to mind.
I use a little tin blade bank and empty it out into a used food tin every so often, which I seal and clearly label used blades inside.
I'll have to take this approach and save on buying a new blade banks. The one I currently have is a sealed one so next time around I'll make sure to get one that can be emptied.

One my favourite blades, the BIC, comes in cardboard. Plastic dispensers are no good. Almost as wasteful as a disposable razor or cartridge.

A store close to where I work sells these metal euro-bill piggy banks for one euro or so. I think I’m going to buy one soon as these would make a great blade bank imo.

IMG_0706.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom