best make of tent?

Hi,

Try asking the same question here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com or here:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/

There's a lot of tent information on both sites.

To give you something to chew on before you get there....

Tentipi is good but expensive. If you like that style of tent (I do and have 2) there are other Lavvus that are cheaper and still good. I would probably help if you let us know a little more about what sort of camping you like and what your budget is.

BTW, despite a lot of lurking I believe this is my first post on this forum. Apologies for bypassing the introductions bit but I don't normally do that anyway.

Cheers,

Huon

Huon said:
Hi,

Try asking the same question here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com or here:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/

There's a lot of tent information on both sites.

To give you something to chew on before you get there....

Tentipi is good but expensive. If you like that style of tent (I do and have 2) there are other Lavvus that are cheaper and still good. I would probably help if you let us know a little more about what sort of camping you like and what your budget is.

BTW, despite a lot of lurking I believe this is my first post on this forum. Apologies for bypassing the introductions bit but I don't normally do that anyway.

Cheers,

Huon

Well-l-l in that case, welcome Huon, you rebel you! You will however find us extremely serious,rule abiding, and lacking in any form of good humour what so ever....Oh no, sorry, I thought I was on another forum and er..um - oops! my mistake... :lol:

spandexcodpiece said:
Well-l-l in that case, welcome Huon, you rebel you! You will however find us extremely serious,rule abiding, and lacking in any form of good humour what so ever....Oh no, sorry, I thought I was on another forum and er..um - oops! my mistake... :lol:

That's OK. I didn't introduce myself there either :lol:

Hello Huon

Thanks for the reply and welcome to TSR.

I need a tent for four, ideally with two bedrooms (one for me and the wife; other for our two kids).

Tall would be good, large living space would be good. It's for a week away at a Christian camp so it mustn't say FUCK in large glow-in-the-dark letters!

Last year we had a Coleman but it leaked from day one so I took it back :-(

I *love* the Tentipi but the wife isn't so sure (no bedrooms? Swedish? A pole? It might as well come with a waterbed and Good Swingers' Guide as far as she's concerned.)

So . . . waddayathink?

I have the Vango Vail 700 (supposedly a 7 berth) which fits 4 of us very well the 2 kids each have a separate bedroom which means they don't spend all night talking or wake the other one up in the morning.

The Vail had been replaced now by the Amazon and the 800 is equivalent model by the looks of it.

Rev-O said:
Hello Huon

Thanks for the reply and welcome to TSR.

I need a tent for four, ideally with two bedrooms (one for me and the wife; other for our two kids).

Tall would be good, large living space would be good. It's for a week away at a Christian camp so it mustn't say FUCK in large glow-in-the-dark letters!

Last year we had a Coleman but it leaked from day one so I took it back :-(

I *love* the Tentipi but the wife isn't so sure (no bedrooms? Swedish? A pole? It might as well come with a waterbed and Good Swingers' Guide as far as she's concerned.)

So . . . waddayathink?

Children hey - how old? If they're old enough you could consider getting them a tent of their own. This would remove the need for multiple rooms and give the kids a tent they could use without you if they ever went camping with friends, school or scouts.

I'd say that the Tentipi is an expensive option if you're not a fairly heavy user. That said, I like them and I'd be happy to own one so if you have the dosh and the inclination go for it.

If the tentipi appeals to you and you are car camping you could take a look at bell tents as well:

http://www.belltent.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=71

You can have an inner tent in the bell and that would give you a way of creating distinct living and sleeping spaces or (perhaps) 2 rooms for sleeping. Bell tents also share another feature with the tentipi. You can have a stove inside them. If you are tall the bell design gives you more useable headroom than the tentipi.

If there is a tent supplier in your area that has tents set-up I'd suggest that you go take a look. I don't know if you'd be able to see tentipis and bell tents that way but you should be able to take a proper look at a large range of modern, multiroom tents. Perhaps you'll see something you like.

If you'd like to chat about this PM me and I'll send you my telephone number.

BTW, you can add the glow in the dark "FUCK" to any of these tents after you buy them so no worries there either.

Cheers,

Huon

Huon said:
spandexcodpiece said:

That's OK. I didn't introduce myself there either :lol:

Oh, I was only jesting, of course, but I bet that REALLY annoyed them !! :lol:

hunnymonster said:
Rev-O said:
He wasn't actually the Carpenter's son ;)

Indeed, Karen died tragically young and childless.

Haven't you got work to do? :roll:

I don't think there will ever be another female singer with a voice as rich and beautiful as Karen's. She was totally unique. What a dreadful tragedy to die so young and in such sad circumstances! When ever I hear her sing one of her songs on the radio, it stands out in comparison to all the dross that has probably preceded her track! Gone ever so slightly off topic again haven't we - never mind :)

OK, leaving aside the the parentage this guy with the woodworking connections :roll:....

Have you sorted out your tent yet?

Surely you're not going to leave us all on tenterhooks?

Spill!

Huon

Back
Top Bottom