Badger and Hone - No more ?

Re: Badger & Hone ceased trading!

shrink said:
that is a shame.. esspecially since they were massively undercutting TOBS on their own prices, with free postage and paypal it was superb. But perhaps therein lies the reason it wasnt making money? just too cheap?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. When B&H first opened I saw this coming a mile away - either they had to change their pricing strategy or they would go bust. It's quite simple - sell products at too low a price, give away free postage and you end up making a loss (or at least not enough profit to make it worth while). A lot of people think that there are huge margins in shaving products but this is not the case. This wasn't a victim of the crunch - if you ask any long standing vendor they will tell you that business is better than ever!

Still... it's bad news for you guys. The good news is that there are plenty of other venders who have just as good customer service (but maybe not free postage on everything!).

why dont you guys do a group buy from La La and ask a USA member to act as a go between and handle postage to one of you, then do local postage here ?

I'm an Ogalalla user but I don't think I'd do a group buy, as they say: "Other aftershaves are available". I've still got half a bottle of limes and peppercorns after 5 months, it's very nice but not to the point I'd pay the US customs charges. The postage is bad enough but I hear US customs are all over foreign purchases like a tramp on hot chips. I think they add on around 1/3 the value of the consignment as a "processing fee".

Any of our stateside members shed more light on it, or correct me?

traditionalshaving said:
shrink said:
that is a shame.. esspecially since they were massively undercutting TOBS on their own prices, with free postage and paypal it was superb. But perhaps therein lies the reason it wasnt making money? just too cheap?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. When B&H first opened I saw this coming a mile away - either they had to change their pricing strategy or they would go bust. It's quite simple - sell products at too low a price, give away free postage and you end up making a loss (or at least not enough profit to make it worth while). A lot of people think that there are huge margins in shaving products but this is not the case. This wasn't a victim of the crunch - if you ask any long standing vendor they will tell you that business is better than ever!

Still... it's bad news for you guys. The good news is that there are plenty of other venders who have just as good customer service (but maybe not free postage on everything!).

Any chance of you picking up the baton on the Ogallala line? ;)

It couldn't have helped when he was down for very many weeks over the Xmas period for a site redesign seemed a little odd to do that especially at that time.

I was up at Executive Shaving today picking up some AOS soap before they are all gone and they may have some Ogallala stuff coming in, worth shooting them an email and asking prices and availability.

Yellow Jim said:
traditionalshaving said:
shrink said:

Any chance of you picking up the baton on the Ogallala line? ;)

I'd be suprised if any other vendors pick up the Ogallala line. B&H were selling these products illegally in the UK and to sell them legally would probably be cost prohibitive considering the small quantities. Basically, every single batch of aftershaves / colognes received would need to be independantly tested and certified by a chemist or lab in order to be sold in the UK. This doesn't apply to buying direct from them in the US though so there are no problems in you doing that (other than the high cost).

certain supplies in the uk seem to charge what they like for shaving related products i.e razor blades
how can they charge £1.50 to £4 for 5 blades when you can buy 5 times as much on the internet
also the postage is roughly the same for the larger amount

Best prices, free postage, great service, stuff always posted next day. Will be greatly missed. B&H did help bring down UK prices on a couple of items though; especially Simpsons brushes. Hopefully someone will take Martins place.

traditionalshaving wrote:
...B&H were selling these products illegally in the UK...
DEFINITELY NOT! :evil:
I've been to the States the first months this year and I heard from Ogallala Bay Rum for the first time.
I ordered directly at Ogallala and had a short conversation with John the owner. I asked him how much is shipping to Germany.
He told me that has a reseller in Great Britain, guess who! Nothing illegally.

Blyth Spirit said:
chrisbell said:
traditionalshaving said:

Hmm, a bit of an inflammatory statement?

I agree with Chris. Statements such as that need to be 100% referenced.

Not a very pleasant comment about a fellow forum member either... :x

RazeFace said:
traditionalshaving wrote:
DEFINITELY NOT! :evil:
I've been to the States the first months this year and I heard from Ogallala Bay Rum for the first time.
I ordered directly at Ogallala and had a short conversation with John the owner. I asked him how much is shipping to Germany.
He told me that has a reseller in Great Britain, guess who! Nothing illegally.

Sorry guys - I wasn't saying this to try and cause trouble. I was simply trying to inform you that it is very unlikely that someone else will pick this up in the UK due to the testing requirements.

For anyone who is interested here is the legislation - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1284/pdfs/uksi_20081284_en.pdf">http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008 ... 284_en.pdf</a><!-- m -->. In summary it says that the 'responsible person' (in this case the UK retailer) needs to make available certain information including a product health assessment that needs to be completed by a qualified chemist. This certification needs to be done against every batch produced for products that are left on the skin such as aftershaves and colognes. Badger and Hone did not do any of this which is why they were selling the products illegally. I wouldn't expect John @ Ogallala Bay Rum to understand the UK regulations - it is the responsibility of the UK retailer. Hope that clears things up a bit.

i think if you read it properly the retailer only has to hold the the info on whats in it , who made it and which lab tested it ,also what batch numbers he holds and finaly were it was made, he does NO testing himself
your summary to me seems a mish mash of the facts put together to suit you
seems to me you are happy at the demise of b & h ,no doubt your prices [which are already on the high side ] will probable now rise
now thats a inflammatory statement

Back
Top Bottom