Anyone here use Tom Ford?

Father Ted said:
I rather like the Black Orchid, but I gather its a ladies fragrance would it be wrong of me to wear this? I (personally) think its quite masculine.

Thoughts please gents.

Personally, I think the Tom Ford line is some of the best smelling juice I've ever huffed. Yeah, it's pricey, but you do get what you pay for.

Far as wearing Black Orchid goes, is that definitely supposed to be a women's scent, or is it more of unisex kinda thing. I'm sure I've sniffed it but can't remember what it's like. Even if it is classified as feminine, if you like the stuff then yeah, wear some. There's a few things I like that are considered feminine frags, but I just don't see it as that.

Hugs and kisses on Valentines day......get in touch with your feminine side Marty.

Father Ted said:
I'd just feel a right na-na if people thought I was wearing a womens scent.

People are gonna think what they want, no matter what you're wearing. Screw em.

Just today I dropped off a sample of some new Malizia Vetyver EdT with a buddy of mine. Someone sent me some as a sample and I really liked it and purchased a bottle. Did some reading about it also and it has a good reputation in general. Plus, it's dirt cheap, which is a real bonus.

So I talked to him later in the day and he said the stuff was good. He asked me if it was maybe for a woman, which surprised me a bit. Turns out one of the people at work told him it smelled like her Grandma's old clothes. There you go........don't try to please everyone when you wear a frag....mainly please yourself.

And since I'm typing at you, there's a sample of this juice with your name on it. Seriously, I thought of you when first sniffing it....sheeesh, that looks bad. What I mean is it's a lot like the J Peterman scent to my nose. I'll send some out this week.

Black orchid is one of my favourites. It may be marketed as a women's fragrance but its not feminine, or at least it's not to my nose.

Tabaco vanille, Tuscan leather are also very nice.

Wow. I actually stopped at Macy's to see if they carried Tom Ford products.
I was most kindly sent a sample of one by a member here. Thank you again.
I was told that they no longer carried his Brand.
They thought that there was some change in his line taking place??

Ps. I did do a spritz of Chanel no. 5 on the way out. Love that smell!!

Wasn't it Mr. E. Hemingway who wore no 5 ? No doubts about his masculinity ! Not to mention Sir Sean's known prediliction for Jicky.
Can't wait to read FTed's comments on a scent similar to "Granny's drawers". Quite possibly you may be both scared & scarred by the experience Ted. "Attar de Wee" anyone ?

JohnnyO. \:s

Guerlain Jicky is a unisex fragrance, I think, so Connery isn't really living on the edge by wearing it. Nice stuff. I've dabbled.

Anyway, Old Spice was originally a women's perfume so that's that.

Wear what you want, and if anyone says owt, tell 'em "Vinny says it's OK".

If it smells good it smells good. I really don't understand why some fragrances are marketed by gender. I own two that are classified as feminine, Chanel Sycomore and Chanel Coromandel. Both lean well towards the masculine side of unisex IMO, and both garner many compliments from the ladies. Just wear what you want. Admittedly a few really floral ones are too girly for me, Frederic Malle's Carnal Flower springs to mind, but ultimately it doesn't matter what other people think.

Of the Tom Fords I own and enjoy Tuscan Leather, Extreme, Tobacco Vanille and Grey Vetiver. I have tested Black Orchid but it was a bit too dark on my skin. I quite liked it but at Tom Ford prices I need to more than "quite" like something if I am to buy it!

Having killed a few hours at Dubai airport sniffing all the Tom Fords they seemed very linear, one dimensional and obvious. No narrative, nothing greater than the sum of their clearly named and labelled parts. It was like kids had had a go at making perfume using a few big smells and then calling the finished product after the ingredients' list.

Drydown, sillage and longevity were all good though in a synthetic chemical kind of way.

No for me. Ah'm oot.

Back
Top Bottom