Anyone here use boar exclusively?

jhclare said:
Update:

I've been using boars for a while now, and while they are very good, and even better when you consider the price, they just aren't quite as good as a badger. They are certainly better value though! This isn't a dig at boar fans, I really wanted to like them.

I face lather, and I don't use a bowl or a scuttle. So, my brush has to hold plenty of lather and keep it warm (or at least, prevent it getting too cold).

I found that no matter how much I load a boar, I never get enough quality lather for 4 passes. By the fourth pass, the lather is thin and needs reloading. Maybe it's my hard water? I'm always amazed that people say, for example, their Semogue 620 holds enough for 4 passes with loads left over.... how big are their faces, tennis ball size?! :p

With my Savile Row, there is just more lather there in the brush. I don't know why or how, it just is! It's like it gives you just the lather you need for a pass and no more, and saves the rest for later. Boars tend to dump it all out and hold on to very little.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with having to re-load and re-lather, but personally I cannot stand having to do this! I don't know why, it's just me.

Anyway, this has also forced me to reconsider my ideal brush (again....). A larger brush will hold more lather and keep it warmer, important if you are bowl and scuttle-less like me. I think a Chubby 2 is in my future! :mrgreen:

John

John,

It's been awhile. Last I saw you posted on SMF and TSD. I don't quite recall the brush you went with but I know you were looking for some Omegas or Semogues. What did you end up with? What soaps or creams are you using?

BTW I've experienced hard water and feel your pain my friend. Until I started face lathering bowl/mug lathering proved to be quite a feat with creams that is. Ever since then I vowed to myself creams belong on brush and face not bowl/mug.

I've used both Semogue 830 and 620 side by side and 620 out performed 830 in terms of lathering. While both are quite good. The shorter loft in 620 surpassed that of 830. Perhaps it was my fault as I didn't load 830 as much considering I loaded them equally with similar amount of cream. Soap-wise, same procedure and again 620 outperformed 830.

jhclare said:
I'm always amazed that people say, for example, their Semogue 620 holds enough for 4 passes with loads left over.... how big are their faces, tennis ball size?! :p

With my Savile Row, there is just more lather there in the brush. I don't know why or how, it just is! It's like it gives you just the lather you need for a pass and no more, and saves the rest for later. Boars tend to dump it all out and hold on to very little.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with having to re-load and re-lather, but personally I cannot stand having to do this! I don't know why, it's just me.John

I would have to agree with you on this i think. Other than financial, my (limited) experiments have forced me to conclude that there is no reason to favour a boar over a badger. Even with the much praised Vulfix 404 mixed, it doesn't seem to work as well for me as even my Pure Badger brush.

Not sure what i am doing differently to those who love Boars and for whom they really work!

Boar clearly offers the best value. Wait for it....

but there is such variability in quality and cost of badger hair brushes that I'm not surprised shavers safely opt for the lesser performing cheaper option. The 404 mix is a good cheap starter brush, for £8 nobody is going to complain but that's the point, the expectations are low for boar brushes.

I agree, and the 404 is a clear step in the better direction than the slightly cheaper Wilkinson Sword brush - works better by far. But not as easy or as good IMO than a low rung badger - though as said, even the low rung badgers are more pricey. I have never tried one of the top class boars, so can't really comment, but if it is similar to the lower ones, and i had a wad of cash to spend, i think i'd go for a badger. If i am spending £50 upwards on a brush, i think i'd rather get a more mid range badger than a top end boar if you see what i mean - though as said, i haven't tried a top end boar, so i may be sorely misguided....wouldn't be the first time! :lol:

We are fortunate to have the choices of 4.99 to 499.99 priced brushes of all different sizes & densities. Not too mention the difference from brush to brush ie Semogue 620 vs a different 620. A Simpsons Chubby 2 in super vs CH2 in super.

I used to follow reviews until i realized that one mans meat is another mans poison.

Enjoy what you use, if not get rid of it- after you've read Fido's blog - and try something else

Just about any type of brush will enable you to have a decent shave. But if you spend any time on a shaving forum you are likely to be tempted to try more than one brush. You will be well served by boar brushes. But if you can stretch to a decent badger, give it a go. You will be glad you did.

fozz77 said:
I used to follow reviews until i realized that one mans meat is another mans poison.

Very true! However, if you know what the reviewer likes (which they should state in a good brush review), it makes it far easier to determine if a brush will be for you.

Also with you on the sample variation. Brushes really do vary from sample to sample! Something I have been very frustrated with in the past, particularly with Rooney, or at least the Rooneys available to us in the UK.

John

SiR-ed8 said:
I don't quite recall the brush you went with but I know you were looking for some Omegas or Semogues. What did you end up with? What soaps or creams are you using?

I have been using an Omega 30005 and Semogues... have been through the LE 2009, 620, 1305, 1520, and others! I also have an Omega 48, which I used to think was too big, but I will use again and re-evaluate now I have decided I prefer bigger brushes! :mrgreen:

My staple soaps: Cella, GFT Coconut, Mama Bear's Rosemary Mint, Proraso, Cade, La Toja, occasionally Tabac when I want something different.

Creams: Used rarely but when I do: Trumper's Rose, and Palmolive.

Loving Cella lately! Slicker than a slick thing.

John

jhclare said:
SiR-ed8 said:
I don't quite recall the brush you went with but I know you were looking for some Omegas or Semogues. What did you end up with? What soaps or creams are you using?

I have been using an Omega 30005 and Semogues... have been through the LE 2009, 620, 1305, 1520, and others! I also have an Omega 48, which I used to think was too big, but I will use again and re-evaluate now I have decided I prefer bigger brushes! :mrgreen:

My staple soaps: Cella, GFT Coconut, Mama Bear's Rosemary Mint, Proraso, Cade, La Toja, occasionally Tabac when I want something different.

Creams: Used rarely but when I do: Trumper's Rose, and Palmolive.

Loving Cella lately! Slicker than a slick thing.

John

You've to be patient with boar as it requires some breaking in. Others take longer. I've some TGN ( The Golden Nib ) from Tony that are quite soft ( 20 mm banded boar ). I've another that's 24 mm knot that's excellent exfoliant. Scrubby from the beginning but now that it has few shaves it's gotten quite soft. The tips become trident-like and split resulting in softer tip. It's a definite shedder though. But the 20 mm one hasn't shed much.

Of that list you mention I can only speak about Semogue 620. If there's one thing I gotta give Semogue credit for is that the brushes I have don't shed bristles. Perhaps I've broken maybe one or two but it's not even 1." Three shave sessions with Ogallala soap and Vulfix cream and proven to be lather monster. I've had more than enough for pass. I generally do 2 passes and I'm done leaving with 4-5 ample passes from brush.

BTW Johh, how'd you score the LE Boar? Classified? They were sold out since last December. Thanks

SiR-ed8 said:
BTW Johh, how'd you score the LE Boar? Classified? They were sold out since last December. Thanks

I was lucky enough to buy one new when they first came out. Think mine was no. 4! I did like it, a lot, however at the time I found it too big. Now I realise that due to the weaknesses of boar hair, having a larger boar brush compensates at least a little for its lather and heat retention qualities. Plus, I'm now liking slightly larger brushes as I hate reloading!

John

jhclare said:
SiR-ed8 said:

I was lucky enough to buy one new when they first came out. Think mine was no. 4! I did like it, a lot, however at the time I found it too big. Now I realise that due to the weaknesses of boar hair, having a larger boar brush compensates at least a little for its lather and heat retention qualities. Plus, I'm now liking slightly larger brushes as I hate reloading!

John

John,

How many shaves have you achieved in general with each boar?

Just be patient otherwise if you're willing to sell the LE 2009 LMK. Thanks

SiR-ed8 said:
jhclare said:
SiR-ed8 said:
How many shaves have you achieved in general with each boar?
Just be patient otherwise if you're willing to sell the LE 2009 LMK. Thanks

Plenty! Each boar brush has at least 30 shaves under its belt not to mention the umpteen test latherings before I used them to shave. The ends have well and truely split, many mutiple times (the split end has split!)

As good as boar brushes are, I prefer a (dense, soft tipped) badger. They suit my style of shaving better.

The LE is long gone, I'm afraid!

John

Back
Top Bottom