Anyone here use boar exclusively?

Since, as far as I know, badgers are protected under EU legislation, a badger cull can only be performed with explicit legal justification -- this will probably mean that all cullers need to be certified and all 'materials' accounted for, and either destroyed afterwards, or all movements documented. I think it would be hard to legally procure a pelt from such an enterprise. The best thing to do would probably be to get acquainted with one of the cullers, or overseers...

Pig Cat said:
Audiolab said:
Nothing to beat a bit of wet warm badger rubbed over your face in the morning.

Shall we all just take a moment to be thankful that no one makes a shaving brush using cat hair. ;)

Our George sheds so much hair I've actually been tempted to try my hand at making one!

Seriously - I don't understand where all the hair comes from. And he's always got a really thick coat.

antdad said:
Not a chance...I'll try the odd one every now and then but they are neither capable of holding enough heat, lather or luxury.

I find the lack of heat and lather retention a tad frustrating, I always seem to be going back to the soap for subsequent passes with the boars.Not a major problem but I wouldn't use them exclusively because of this.

Interesting replies guys!

I too commented in the past that boars didn't hold heat as well, but I actually did a test recently with my one remaining badger, a Polo 8 in Best. The Polo didn't hold heat any longer then the boar. This was purely unscientific and I just went by how it felt on the face.

I think heat retention has more to do with knot size, rather than type of hair.

I will probably add a badger at some point again in the future, but it will be a really good one. One! JUST ONE.....

EDIT: Not holding on to lather I guess is the opposite of being a lather hog. There seems to be a happy medium - you don't want it to dump all the lather on your face in one go, nor do you want to fight the brush to get any lather out.

I have not had a problem with my Omega not holding lather - I make sure it is well loaded with soap before starting to face lather.

Badger hair retains (not absorbs) more water than boar hair = more heat/lather.

Over loading a brush full of soap to be able to face lather is really not the same as having a brush that is able to "hold" lather.

I have a couple of Omega's and that's what I have to do, your'e really using an excess of product to make up for the shortcomings of boar bristle.

You can't really have it both ways either i.e build lather on the face and not "in" the brush and then be able to have enough for umpteen passes.

Used this way it is more soap applicator than lather generator.

jhclare said:
Pig Cat said:
Audiolab said:
Nothing to beat a bit of wet warm badger rubbed over your face in the morning.

Shall we all just take a moment to be thankful that no one makes a shaving brush using cat hair. ;)

Our George sheds so much hair I've actually been tempted to try my hand at making one!

Seriously - I don't understand where all the hair comes from. And he's always got a really thick coat.

You have a pet badger called George :shock:

Boar for me , I have limited experience of badger. I do own a inexpensive Simpson so not sure how valid an opinion this is. But I really do prefer the " meat and potatoes " of a boar .

Vulfix 406 and a Semogue 1305 for me
John

No Offense John, I do know what you mean, there is a good feeling about using a boar and getting good lather. I am just too soft and perhaps too pretty for that, give me a nice badger every time. I have stopped using my Semogue LE 2009, not because it is rubbish, in fact it is one of the best boars around. It is just a preference.

Anyone want to buy a Semogue LE 2009 used about 20 times :lol:

Audiolab said:
No Offense John, I do know what you mean, there is a good feeling about using a boar and getting good lather. I am just too soft and perhaps too pretty for that, give me a nice badger every time. I have stopped using my Semogue LE 2009, not because it is rubbish, in fact it is one of the best boars around. It is just a preference.

what numner do you have?I bet that it would be an easy sale at B&B.... :lol:

Number 17.

I know there would be no problem selling it at all, just not convinced myself to do so yet. There is nothing wrong with the brush and I keep wondering if I just need to get used to it. It is clear that a lot of thought went into this brush, it is a handsome thing to own and that's why I keep it on a shelf in the bathroom so I can see it every day.

When I think about it I do feel I am depriving someone of the use of an excellent brush and then I think of selling it again...round the circle I go.

Audiolab said:
Number 17.

I know there would be no problem selling it at all, just not convinced myself to do so yet. There is nothing wrong with the brush and I keep wondering if I just need to get used to it. It is clear that a lot of thought went into this brush, it is a handsome thing to own and that's why I keep it on a shelf in the bathroom so I can see it every day.

When I think about it I do feel I am depriving someone of the use of an excellent brush and then I think of selling it again...round the circle I go.
Use it again for a couple weeks and wait to see.That brush gets so soft as badger but with an excellent backbone.I left mine in Utah and you dont know how much I regret it.I really love the new 830 but the LE is a much better brush.

I have a few badgers in my collection. The last time I've used badger was Penworks Pure. While I prefer boar over badger, I must admit it was better than Simpson B4 and Bill Campbell badgers. The latter was so prickly it's not even funny. Suffice it to say I have yet to break the Penworks brush in as I've been preoccupied with my custom brushes from Mike at customk9gear. Truth be told I haven't even broke any brush in with exception of Omega 21047. Predominantly have Omega though. Soon I'll try to get the Omega 599 and 615 silvertip in my rotation along with Vulfix 2273 Super.

Audiolab said:

They sure weren't kidding when they mentioned you were seriously thinking of ridding yourself of brush. When you do, I'm just a PM away.

Update:

I've been using boars for a while now, and while they are very good, and even better when you consider the price, they just aren't quite as good as a badger. They are certainly better value though! This isn't a dig at boar fans, I really wanted to like them.

I face lather, and I don't use a bowl or a scuttle. So, my brush has to hold plenty of lather and keep it warm (or at least, prevent it getting too cold).

I found that no matter how much I load a boar, I never get enough quality lather for 4 passes. By the fourth pass, the lather is thin and needs reloading. Maybe it's my hard water? I'm always amazed that people say, for example, their Semogue 620 holds enough for 4 passes with loads left over.... how big are their faces, tennis ball size?! :p

With my Savile Row, there is just more lather there in the brush. I don't know why or how, it just is! It's like it gives you just the lather you need for a pass and no more, and saves the rest for later. Boars tend to dump it all out and hold on to very little.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with having to re-load and re-lather, but personally I cannot stand having to do this! I don't know why, it's just me.

Anyway, this has also forced me to reconsider my ideal brush (again....). A larger brush will hold more lather and keep it warmer, important if you are bowl and scuttle-less like me. I think a Chubby 2 is in my future! :mrgreen:

John

Back
Top Bottom