Anyone here use boar exclusively?

Hi guys,

After marvelling over Fido's brush collection (I thought I had problems! ;-) ) it got me wondering if anyone here uses boars exclusively.

Since selling all my badgers I've been using the Omega 10005 for every shave, and it does everything I want a brush to do, and what's more, does it cheaply! I'm amazed that this brush has many of the qualities of the Stubby 2 I had - stiff bristles with soft tips.

I used a variety of badger brushes for a number of months and I seriously don't feel like I'm missing much. It's kind of liberating!

I have discovered that like badgers, no two boars are the same, and I much prefer the Omegas I've tried over the Semogues (although they do look pretty!)

John

i'm finding myself using my badgers very rarely now

i used to be a badger for cream and boar for soap guy but find that the boars are more than capable in all departments
the same could be said for badger as well i suppose :roll:

I have a couple of pure badgers which, frankly, never see the light of day. I use either a Semogue 1305 or a 2000 which I find splendid. I also have a Vulfix 2189 Travel brush (from Paul M) which is perfect for the role of travelling companion.

I could not justify, either personally or professionally, a large sum for (for instance) a Simpson although they do look extremely tempting.

So no, you are not alone...

:)

Presently using a Vulfix 404 mix, but am seriously considering getting a plastic-handled Culmak or Wilkie Boar as a donor for a handle that I recently acquired.
Does anyone know if these are cropped or not?

I sold my EJ Best a while back, my reason being that it wasn't as well suited to soaps as boar brushes. Now my two brushes are a beautiful boar brush made by Neocalagatio and a Semogue 1305. Haven't used the Semogue for a bit so this has reminded me to give it a whirl tomorrow.

I must admit that now I'm getting in to creams a badger brush is getting tempting again. I may go for a 404 until I can treat myself to another Neo job.

It's funny because when I got in to this lark about two years ago there was very little mention of boar. It felt like they were badger's poor relation. :(

I do like Boar but I mostly use badger and maybe once every week or two I will use boar. Nothing to beat a bit of wet warm badger rubbed over your face in the morning. I find I tend to use my brushes accordingly, ie I would use my SR3824 or one of the softer silvertips if shaving with a cream and the stiffer badgers (2 band and short lofts) for soft soaps and hard soaps.

I just cannot seem to limit myself but not repentant in any way.

I've not used a badger brush since I bought my Vulfix VS/3 in November. I probably will go back to a badger at some stage, but not in the foreseeable.

Ian

Sorry fellows - I have nothing against boars - great value and will serve the purpose of aiding a decent shave. But a half decent badger will outperform in terms of comfort and lathering every time in my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom