Palmolive is a great soap/cream. I guess it's the variety which spoils us or makes wet shaving more interesting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

As I am fairly new to this lark I found myself rather snobbishly dismissing my Palmolive grated sticks in favour of soaps costing ten times more but not offering any benifits over the Palmolive. I have never had a bad shave using the green stuff. It had super glide and great lather. I think it suffers in the shaving community from being over looked as it is the common or garden soap. While artisans come and go Palmolive is still there on the supermarket shelf for less than 50p

Put a few drops into each shave and see what it does! It shames much more expensive soaps that's what! Excellent stuff.
My local Tesco must have had 40-50 on the shelves last week, after not stocking it for maybe six months.

You forget MOST so called ARTISAN soaps are just existing because of the following factors

1. specific scent combinations. some offer scents that no one else is willing to do. try getting say TOBS or Harris to make a version with patchouli/cinnamon/skunk ass extract.

2. image, A lot of people will buy ANYTHING from some companies just because the labels are considered to be artsy and "cool". I have seen reviews in the past where the person got a tub of artisan soap and only liked the label, the soap itself sucked with the scent sucking more. but "love the label, will buy more" is awful common

3. peer pressure.
this is the biggest thing. on most forums is awful easy and quick to get booted when you say that when you used the "popular" artisan soap of the week or month, it made your brush turn green, stunk the house up, made the dog puke, and couldn't make enough lather to wash your face with.

I can spend 100 dollars on some limited edition artisan blends out there, or I can get a stick of arko or erasmic and have better performance. at worst, the same level of performance. why spend money?

I seem to have fallen into the soap trap of late, tried many but my stand-by/go-to is Haslinger, nothing I try seems to be better than that in any dept. other than scent and scent really should be the last thing you buy a soap for. Saying all of that I am quite keen on trying Razorock XXX, just for research purposes obviously. It doesn't matter what one's little vice is, in our case it is shaving, there is always the "what if" thought and perhaps a little snobbery in the purchase of more ways to make our "vice" that bit better. You have only got to look at the "for sales" section of any shaving forum to realise most "what ifs ?" have not lived up to expectations or hype. If you are indeed happy with what you are using I'd be tempted to stick with it, if it is economic to use all the better.

I seem to have fallen into the soap trap of late, tried many but my stand-by/go-to is Haslinger, nothing I try seems to be better than that in any dept. other than scent and scent really should be the last thing you buy a soap for. Saying all of that I am quite keen on trying Razorock XXX, just for research purposes obviously. It doesn't matter what one's little vice is, in our case it is shaving, there is always the "what if" thought and perhaps a little snobbery in the purchase of more ways to make our "vice" that bit better. You have only got to look at the "for sales" section of any shaving forum to realise most "what ifs ?" have not lived up to expectations or hype. If you are indeed happy with what you are using I'd be tempted to stick with it, if it is economic to use all the better.
Haslinger is the Dogs Danglies as You Say..The Scents are Kinda Bland but So What..The Quality of the Slickness & Glide of this Stuff is Great..Goes on Like Plaster if You Desire & Cheap..:)

Billy

Haslinger is the Dogs Danglies as You Say..The Scents are Kinda Bland but So What..The Quality of the Slickness & Glide of this Stuff is Great..Goes on Like Plaster if You Desire & Cheap..:)

Billy

Billy, Billy, Billy ... you are an inspiration as always - I will now have to buy some Haslinger! Palmolive today, Haslinger tomorrow. I concur that a lot of soaps are desirable because of their 'different' fragrances, but when you consider that they pretty much disappear once the shave is done, you should really go for performance. Thus Arko, Palmolive, Tabac, etc. The classics ... Not forgetting Trumper of course. :D

Billy, Billy, Billy ... you are an inspiration as always - I will now have to buy some Haslinger! Palmolive today, Haslinger tomorrow. I concur that a lot of soaps are desirable because of their 'different' fragrances, but when you consider that they pretty much disappear once the shave is done, you should really go for performance. Thus Arko, Palmolive, Tabac, etc. The classics ... Not forgetting Trumper of course. :D
Here is a Good Seller..Does a Good Deal with Postage & Slight Discount when Buy 2 Pucks..:)
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...jioIcO989Vh8OZbCg&sig2=Kah4TSNFX5XUIhjiYiVZpA

Billy

One of the reasons I really like Barrister and Mann Baudelaire is because the scent lingers for hours after the shave. But Palmolive is smashing stuff to actually shave with.

Tabac is my go to soap followed by Cella and TOBS Coconut. I'm still looking for that sleeker soap but I'm starting to believe the hard water has something to do with the problems I'm having. Incidentally, Palmolive perhaps perform a little better for me but I'm not a fun of its scent.

Back
Top Bottom