Any shavette fans here?

UKMerk said:
*will look into Feather razors. I'm sure it be easy to sell if i find i don't ike it

I'm considering selling my Feather AC RG Club only used about 8 times with a box of pro super and pro guard,pm me if you're interested
Apologies if I have broken any forum rules by mentioning I might be selling this,let me know if I have and I'll remove the post

I got a Kai shavette which takes injector blades. I really like shaving with it but as some one said before, the upper lip is tricky. I also find my chin an awkward area, but then I also find that with my DE.
I'm looking to get a straightedge at some point though. Like you I got a shavette to avoid the whole stropping etc before I decide to get a straight. So far I'm still wanting a straight

Before buying a Feather AC I bought a Dovo Shavette. With the black insert and the long Dovo blades it is an excellent wee shaver. Very light, ideal for travell.
They also have a red insert for DE blades snapped in half.

Have the Feather; the CJB; and a Parker-like clone(same head). Yes the Feather And the CJB work fantastic with the Proguard blade.
But... The ~ Parker with the 1/2blade Derby professional blade is really a close second. Yes you can get a little sloppy with the Proguard and still not cut yourself but for ~5cents us a 1/2 blade you can be a little more careful!!

I would recommend the Feather Artist Club I've tried the shavette mention earlier and they aren't a patch on the AC with respect to weight feel and feedback and the feather blades are excellent :rolleyes:

My favourite shavette of all the cheaper ones, is the Miraki that I bought from Amazon; I think I was £18. It came with ten of the long blades which I found easier to use than a snapped DE blade. Its nicely made from stainless steel as well.

Not in the same league as a Feather, but much cheaper.

G.

I have a Dovo shavette and a focus shavette. I like them both but the focus shaves closer than the Dovo, but the focus allows the corner of the snapped blade to stick out and you do get the odd shave where you look like you've been attacked by a cat and I don't mean Pigcat :)

I like shavette's.

I'm useless at sharpening/honing so I always use a shavette. The dearest one I've got cost me about a fiver from ebay and this, coupled with derby single edged blades, gives me the closest shaves I've ever had. I've already got a few scars anyway from my time as a nightclub doorman so that wasn't really a worry :)
I'm just toying with the idea of moving into a 'proper' straight razor but don't know if I can justify spending the money when I can make do with what I've got (although that may be the wife who's brainwashed me into thinking that to save money :icon_confused:)

woody said:
I'm useless at sharpening/honing so I always use a shavette. The dearest one I've got cost me about a fiver from ebay and this, coupled with derby single edged blades, gives me the closest shaves I've ever had. I've already got a few scars anyway from my time as a nightclub doorman so that wasn't really a worry :)
I'm just toying with the idea of moving into a 'proper' straight razor but don't know if I can justify spending the money when I can make do with what I've got (although that may be the wife who's brainwashed me into thinking that to save money :icon_confused:)

?

my first straight was a dovo that costs around 60-70+ new

got a frown, came unsharpend.

second razor was a £12 lucky find on ebay last year

sent it off to be honed and it is a very good razor.

you don't have to spend a lot on a razor to get a good vintage

I've now got two straights and a shavette as mentioned previously.

One is a 1924 Kropp 5/8 which was £18 on eBay, the other is a Taylors or Sheffield 6/8 square point and was kindly sent to me by Secret Santa off this very forum along with a 2" strop with chrome oxide paste on the back. Stropping is not as much of a faff as I thought it would be, and I can get either blade sharp enough to cut the hairs on my arm without the blade being close to the skin. So that tells me they do not need honing and are good enough to shave with.

So far I've only had a couple of bites from the Taylor. One was my fault as I slipped and applied either a bit of pressure or gave a slight slicing motion. The other was the square point! Overall I'd say its been easier to get used to than the shavette which would bite at least twice every shave.

shanky887614 said:
woody said:

?

my first straight was a dovo that costs around 60-70+ new

got a frown, came unsharpend.

second razor was a £12 lucky find on ebay last year

sent it off to be honed and it is a very good razor.

you don't have to spend a lot on a razor to get a good vintage

Shanky, where did you send it to be honed? Was it someone on here? I seem to be struggling to find anyone who does it in this area (Blackpool).

I began 'proper' wet shaving with a shavette back in 2005. I had two in fact - bought a Dovo myself and got another one as a gift, a Genie, who purchased it from Trumper's in London.

They were great at first and close-ish, but caused me Nicks here and there and did not allow me to give the face one clean swoop from top to bottom, as I can do with a proper straight. Nonetheless, I briefly tried a DE, didn't like it. I can't remember if I went back to the shavette or just got a real straight after that. The real straight was an immediate eye-opening experience, so I left the DE in the bath cabinet (it's still there for my dad to look at.... :) ). The shavettes were duly given early retirement as well!

I think go for one, just to get a feel for how a real straight will work (eventually you will use a real one and won't regret it). My advice though is to FIRST make sure you see the shavette up close and hold it. Take the cartridge loader out and put it back in. If it feels tight, then buy it. You don't want a loose one as that will result in cartridges flying out. You don't want to cut your fingers every time you go to load a blade!! So choose carefully and wisely.

Then come back to us here for some advice on getting a proper straight ;)

Back
Top Bottom