Any shavette fans here?

Been looking into the idea of a shavette to compliment my DE collection. It seems they're pretty badass (will bite) compared to a straight, however I don't want to be buying strops and other gear when i have a load of DE blades i can snap and use.

Any shavette fans here?

I'm steering towards a parker 31r unless someone advises to go for a dovo. The plan is to go WTG and then use my DE for the rest, until i'm confident to get the job done with the shavette.

Tried one and didn't like it but like everything to do with shaving, it's each to their own, I've got a Bluebeards Revenge one which was less than a tenner,so I'd give a cheap one a try before splashing out. My avatar is a pic of me after using my shavette with a Derby blade :icon_lol:

I've got a Bluebeards revenge shavette and although I've somehow managed to do a few full shaves with it I bites very easily and with no warning. It's twitchy due to being so light and the blade corners seem to give the most cuts. You think you're doing ok with it then you finish and clean up only to find slices that you didn't notice when they happened.

I've pretty much given up on it and am going to pick up a proper straight to try my hand with that. There are a few folk on here who restore and sell vintage straights, already honed to shave readiness. You can always sell something like that on easily if you find it isn't for you.

Yep.

If you're going to go the Shavette route then the Feather AC / SS / RG / DX folding or non-folding is the way to go.

I have been shaving with straight razor for about six months now. On monday i have received my feather Ac ss with which i am shaving since. My opinion is that skin softness has nothing to do with either. Its just a matter of technique and patience. There is no shave like a straight razor shave. Very close to that is the shave with the feather shavete. I haven't tried any other savete but i know from forums etc that there is a great difference between feather and other savetes.
If you want to try try. Read the forum first and watch videos with techniques and directions. Your effort will be paid off for sure.

Now that I have become accustomed to shaving with Traditional straights and the Feather Artist Club series....I find them quite acceptable. The Sanguine range are good with the same retention system as the Parker, and if you search for barber razors on EBay....you will find them at a cheaper price

Now that I understand shaving a fair bit more, straight razors don't seem too bad - they never did. Shavettes do though, or at least the ones with a normal DE blade in them at least. Can't see that being a good idea, seems far too easy to accidentally put a deep cut in your face.

there are lots of cheap shavettes available on the internet auction and they are cheap. it worths getting one and give a try but go steady, it may work out for you, then in that case i suggest that you would buy a Feather, as they are expensive. i have both the scissor type and the slider type, very occasionally i use them and you can get a very good shave with it.

i bought a shavette a few years ago but eventually stopped after slicing my cheek one too many times. Since i have developed my technique and knowledge of shaving with the DEs i get it out every now and then and enjoy a very close shave with it.

just take it slow and use a very shallow angle. :)

I've had a few shaves with the Bluebeard's Revenge shavette. Quite good shaves on the upper face, but on the neck area I finished off with the DE. I think mainly this is because I was being ultra careful, knowing the fearsome reputation of shavettes if you get it wrong. With a bit of practice, you could get a pretty acceptable shave but for the first few attempts I would advise you take it slowly and gently.

Back
Top Bottom