Alum Yes Or No

for me is a Yes
  • it closes your pores. Sometimes, I still nick myself. When that happens, I use it if the AS hasn't stop the bleeding. (Mind you, when I was using the alum regularly, I would use it o before the AS);
  • It gives you better grip: if you have a razor's handle which is quite slippery, you can quickly rub your wet thumb, index and middle finger on the alum, to get a better grip on your razor.
  • It costs nothing: if you use it like I do, i.e. not regularly, one block will last you probably a decade (tbf, even if you want to use it regularly post shave, it will still last you a long time, and its costs is negligible)

for me is a Yes
  • it closes your pores. Sometimes, I still nick myself. When that happens, I use it if the AS hasn't stop the bleeding. (Mind you, when I was using the alum regularly, I would use it o before the AS);
  • It gives you better grip: if you have a razor's handle which is quite slippery, you can quickly rub your wet thumb, index and middle finger on the alum, to get a better grip on your razor.
  • It costs nothing: if you use it like I do, i.e. not regularly, one block will last you probably a decade (tbf, even if you want to use it regularly post shave, it will still last you a long time, and its costs is negligible)
It dosent close your pours that’s a myth

Use it on the rare occasion I have a duff blade or a rubbish soap and end up with a few weepers... But don't normally need it. I also use one as a deodorant... You can often pick them up in the Maxx for about 3 English pounds.

Horrible stuff for my skin!
Dries out my skin so badly that my shave the NEXT day suffers because if it!

I do use an alum block as deodorant though. Never found anything more effective, especially with the 47°C summers where I am!

Horrible stuff for my skin!
Dries out my skin so badly that my shave the NEXT day suffers because if it!

I do use an alum block as deodorant though. Never found anything more effective, especially with the 47°C summers where I am!
I’ll use it if I nick myself or have a particularly bad weeper but that’s rare nowadays. I have switched over to using it as a deodorant which is much cheaper and more effective than aerosols and the rest of the modern claptrap. Matron approves.

I’ll use it if I nick myself or have a particularly bad weeper but that’s rare nowadays. I have switched over to using it as a deodorant which is much cheaper and more effective than aerosols and the rest of the modern claptrap. Matron approves.

I agree...
I stopped using commercial deodorants long back as I couldn't stand the overly strong, synthetic scents!

Plus the anti-perspirants are a danger to health!

I switched to using Speick deodorant stick but it just wasn't effective enough for temps above 30°.

Alum OTOH is amazing stuff for this purpose!

As my mind was wandering as i does i began to wonder who uses alum ?
i used it quite Regular but over the last 6-7 months i haven’t bothered..
I feel it actually dries my skin & i very rarely have weepers.
Even after iv washed it off my skin its bone dry and all that lovely soap goodness is away
Personally i don’t feel the need for it
is it just another product that we buy but don’t need ?
or is there serial users ?
I swear by it, and have used it as part of my routine for years. I moisturise after that so dont get any drying issue. I find it concludes my shave nicely.

Back
Top Bottom