Alum Yes Or No

Only use it if I get a nick that won't stop with cold water or a dab of a paper towel.

I also dissolved a broken block (that I dropped) in water and made a spray bottle for use as deo. For a while there was a company called Bionsen (blah blah Japanese minerals marketing bs) that sold 5 small crystals in a little bottle you were supposed to add water to, but for a not particularly attractive price. They seem to have gone out of business, or at least lost their shelf space in the supermarket after everyone realised how cheap an alum block is and that you can use it for shaving as well as underarm.

Bought Alum when I started DE shaving a few years ago because I thought I needed loads of special products. Now my technique is nailed down I rarely get weepers or cuts so the Alum is never used. Witch Hazel is similar, I don’t use that any more either

I use it after every shave. Leave for a little while ....rinse and moisturise. Antiseptic and closes the pores instead of an aftershave lotion.
I no longer use it as I find witch hazel aftershave provides the calming effect (where necessary). I use Thayers witch hazel and add alcohol up to roughly 25% without getting any skin drying feeling. On top of that, a splash of ‘Blue’ aftershave finishes things off and with its higher alcohol content and powdery fragrance makes a nice end to the shave.

As my mind was wandering as i does i began to wonder who uses alum ?
i used it quite Regular but over the last 6-7 months i haven’t bothered..
I feel it actually dries my skin & i very rarely have weepers.
Even after iv washed it off my skin its bone dry and all that lovely soap goodness is away
Personally i don’t feel the need for it
is it just another product that we buy but don’t need ?
or is there serial users ?
I think peoples skin just differs. I use it after every shave along with balm. I find that it counters irritation from my rustic shaving hands... :)

Yes.

Alum is a disinfectant astringent, a bit like the alcohol my skin craves after shaving. But the alum block is almost free, then I need just some drops of aftershave (which is expensive) instead of a liberal splash for the same effect.

Alum is of course drying and uncomfortable, but it should be rinsed off after 20 seconds or so, then moisturizing aftershaves and balms are applied.

As my mind was wandering as i does i began to wonder who uses alum ?
i used it quite Regular but over the last 6-7 months i haven’t bothered..
I feel it actually dries my skin & i very rarely have weepers.
Even after iv washed it off my skin its bone dry and all that lovely soap goodness is away
Personally i don’t feel the need for it
is it just another product that we buy but don’t need ?
or is there serial users ?
I used it for a while on my lower neck mostly, ended with a burning sensation and stopped using it. It took a while for my neck to return to normal, not for me.

I used it for a while on my lower neck mostly, ended with a burning sensation and stopped using it. It took a while for my neck to return to normal, not for me.
Wow that’s scary.
To me it’s just a block of salt that completely dries my skin
Even after iv washed it off my face is very dry.
Nothing a good moisturiser dosent sort out mind you

Bought a block back in 2016, when i got back into DE shaving and, initially, used it regularly but soon stopped.

Still have 3/4 of the bar left and it sits in the cupboard for emergency use, for when i have been cack handed (rarely) and have a big weeper.

I find cold water just as effective for stopping up smaller nicks.
Just to add, that I use witch-hazel as aftershave and it seems to have many of the benefits of Alum, but is more pleasant to use.

Back
Top Bottom