After the One again

So I decided and bought a polished Stainless Blackland Blackbird.
I will now stop using my Leaf/Twig and concentrate on getting the best shaves I possibly can from the BB. I know this isn't to everyone's taste but I have been down the Rabbit hole and got to the bottom, found nothing of value except an empty wallet a shelf loads of stuff I never needed. I then clawed my way out of it back into the Sunlight.

It is fun watching all these new razors come and go ...

If you do a deep dive on SOTD to see if anyone is still using any given razor, it's a telling story.

Blackland Blackbird is one that re-sells (yes, for good reason) ... but it is one that you'll see continued use in SOTDs and that says a lot about it. I see it as artisinal take on an R89 and that's certainly no bad thing! Hope you enjoy yours @wayne_m ... congrats!

I struggle to understand how the same razor will feel different for the same person, at different intervals.

I also can't quite get my head around why seemingly identical razors all seem to be different to each other (R89 copies)

Lastly i can't understand how a modern maker of razors can't seem to "exactly" copy a vintage classic and have it feel the same (various Gillettes)

I struggle to understand how the same razor will feel different for the same person, at different intervals.

I also can't quite get my head around why seemingly identical razors all seem to be different to each other (R89 copies)

Lastly i can't understand how a modern maker of razors can't seem to "exactly" copy a vintage classic and have it feel the same (various Gillettes)

I do understand how the same razor might feel different to different people because we use different blades - that's the big difference. That, and blades feel different to different people. BIC Chrome Platinum as an example is hand-down the worse shave ever in any razor for quite a good number of people but also the surprising pinnacle of all blades out there for some folks.

But variations on a theme? All those R89 clones. Well, two thoughts here - one, it's how the cap clamps the blade and gives that second curve towards the edge and how much exposure/gap. Those are material variations. Beyond that, I think it's just folks finding a difference either because they want to find a difference or because we use such a staggering array of brush and soap which has a staggering effect upon quality of lather and facial prep it's near impossible to have two shaves the same by yourself, let alone across a range of people.

Modern Gillette Tech (or New) would be lovely and some have come close. Stamping out brass on heavy machinery is kinda not a thing any more and the market is geared towards CNC which suits small runs or more cost-effective methods like casting with cheap alloys. Times changed. Let's face it - these artisinal razors are never going to be putting out the volume that Gillette did.

But, look at the Sterling which is still produced - that is the modern Tech.

In the last year or so I've been revisiting some razors and blades I've really liked at the very beginning of this journey. I've found out that they don't provide me the results as I remember them. My theory behind it is that they suited my technique better at that time and that as my technique progressed I found razors and blades that suit me better now.

In the last year or so I've been revisiting some razors and blades I've really liked at the very beginning of this journey. I've found out that they don't provide me the results as I remember them. My theory behind it is that they suited my technique better at that time and that as my technique progressed I found razors and blades that suit me better now.
Have you, by any chance, also changed your shave prep, lather or the soaps you use?
I've found that prep and lather can make enough of a difference to make a blade feel quite different, even though it's the state of the hair and environment that's changed more.

Have you, by any chance, also changed your shave prep, lather or the soaps you use?
I've found that prep and lather can make enough of a difference to make a blade feel quite different, even though it's the state of the hair and environment that's changed more.
No, my prep never changed, warm water splash and face lathering. I still use soaps that I used back then like tabac, mwf, Razorock etc. Lathering technique probably improved over time but definitely not that much as that's were I had experience before DE razors. I've been using Wilkinson bowl and Palmolive creams years before I tried DE razors.

Back
Top Bottom