After the One again

Gents,
I know I don't post much on here and many may not know me but it's not my first Rodeo in Shaving. I've had a lot of gear, Hardware and Software, had the cheap stuff and the unobtainium. A few years ago I settled on the Leaf/Twig Combo and sold off all my stuff Wolfman's...The lot. Now I'm racking my brains trying to think of the one I'd love to own again. That one that just gets it done, no weepers, no nicks but a lovely proper real feel nothing shave.
Whats yours? I honestly can't think, money is no object for the one again.

My unobtainium razor is a Hybrid Tech, but there's no way I'd spend several hundred pounds on a razor. They seem to rarely crop up too.

I've bought a few slightly desirable vintage razors (eg Red Tip, Personna BBS) over the last few years but they've been unable to contest with my preferred commonplace Techs.

I'd rather put my pennies towards buying more music in physical formats and guitar related stuff once again!

My unobtainium razor is a Hybrid Tech, but there's no way I'd spend several hundred pounds on a razor. They seem to rarely crop up too.

I've bought a few slightly desirable vintage razors (eg Red Tip, Personna BBS) over the last few years but they've been unable to contest with my preferred commonplace Techs.

I'd rather put my pennies towards buying more music in physical formats and guitar related stuff once again!
I had the opportunity to try that razor and in my opinion it doesn't shave well. It's too mild and feels like it's not cutting at all.

@wayne_m I used to really like my Leaf, as well as Broman and the Highproof razor, but I came to prefer fixed-head razors that have a built-in angle guide or something close to that.

After some experimentation, I realised that the way I use pivoting head razors is usually by maxing out the pivot in the sense that the head is at the end position, so almost like a fixed head. They don't feel very smooth otherwise, and the fixed head razors I mentioned above are still a little smoother, while being easier to maneuvre in tighter spots for me.

The pivot does make it easier around curves, such as neck muscles and the jaw line, and it's still a bit easier for a quick shave and on the back of my neck where I can't see very well even with two mirrors.
The razors that compete there best are the Henson Al13 mild and the Winning razor, and I think it's because of the small blade gap (so that skin won't squeeze in between the blade and the guard in case I'd press in a little by accident) and the very pronounced angle guide. The Drakkant, Morana and META-4 are the closes runner-ups here.

With fixed-head razors, I compensate by using a grip where I hold the razor handle roughly in the middle from the sides with my thumb on one side and index and middle finger on the other side, with my pinky supporting the handle from the bottom. It makes it easier to make finer adjustments.

The ones I liked the most for being autopilot (or really close to that) for me are (in no particular order):
- Henson Al13 - all three levels, but I found the mild one pretty efficient, although more difficult to keep the angle because of low blade feel.
- Stando Morana - A recent acquisition - surprisingly efficient, considering its specs.
- Stando Weles 2.0 - Does require a bit of attention.
- Aylsworth Drakkant Plus and OC -
- Winning razor v1 (good for maybe up to about 3 days of growth)
- PAA META-4
- PAA Ascension
- Yaqi Tile
- dscosmetic MARS
- GEM 1912
- Supply Provision Injector v1 and v2
- Occam's Oren
- Fatip Gentile - No real angle guide, and latest OC variant is almost mild, and actually a little easier to keep the angle with, as I know I have it when I feel both the top cap and the teeth.
- Gillette Old type - I use the same angle-by-feel approach as with the Fatip OC.
- Tedalus Velocity One - very expensive, but prettier in the flesh than in pictures. Uses a custom thread, and I wasn't too keen on the handle due to its shape. It was fine most of the time, but I do like and prefer sharp-ish knurling and either a constant-diameter handle, or one like the Hensons have.
- Muhle Rocca v4 with a milder blade.
- Game Changer 0.68 OC
- RazoRock BBS
- Yintal clone of RazoRock Mamba - it goes beyond being a mere clone, but they've had some manufacturing issues lately - not sure they're fixed yet.

I might've missed a few in the above list

I also found that an R41 loaded with injector blades is almost mild and almost autopilot, making for a fairly easy shave but while being quite efficient, more so than with DE blades for me. It's a little fussy to load, though.

My unobtainium razor is a Hybrid Tech, but there's no way I'd spend several hundred pounds on a razor.

However, folks are clearly prepared to spend now MANY hundreds of pounds on new razors from producers who are quite new to the game, there is a lot of value in a razor which has undergone so much research and development, and field testing across now millions of faces and several decades. But then, folks will buy a new Tesla over a ten year old Porsche, so as always ... it's horses for courses.

However, folks are clearly prepared to spend now MANY hundreds of pounds on new razors from producers who are quite new to the game, there is a lot of value in a razor which has undergone so much research and development, and field testing across now millions of faces and several decades. But then, folks will buy a new Tesla over a ten year old Porsche, so as always ... it's horses for courses.

Yes I see your point. I'm sure I would love a Hybrid Tech if I used one. My point wasn't to say it's not worth the pricetag to others but I myself would never spend a few hundred on any razor. I've spent hundreds on a lot of razors over the years though!

Back
Top Bottom