Affordable SE razor

Yup I know I am down for the Schick adjustable. I'll keep the dial low and then make a decision on a vintage injector.
Wow, a Schick adjustable will be great if you can find one for a good price, have you thought about the Supply Provisions SE razor, you can still get 20% off and should be shipping at the end of the month. :)

Not to buy @Blademonkey but I have my name on the adjustable passaround.They seem costly to buy. As to the Supply will research that too. As someone new to this I will weigh opinions carefully before spending cash lol.That soap we were talking about was last impulse buy!

I am leaning more towards Colonial at the moment when I have some cash as they look beautiful and use those very sharp Japanese blades.Also a big SE fan on a sister forum raves about them. The injector heads look (especially with the double blade) like the cheaper Gilette disposables like a Sensor Excel. Do injector blades glide like a DE blade?

I'll check out featherweight but no idea what it is @Bezoar. I need to wait for monies anyway lol.

I can't comment on the Colonial yet, as mine is currently proceeding through the system in the UK. I can however tell you that, when I bought it last Friday, it cost £62.81,which includes shipping. I expect about another £22 in VAT and Royal Mail charge.

Twin blades for injectors aren't that easy to find in the UK, and, besides that, not all vintage injectors will handle them. I expect @Fergiebilly could tell us more, if so required.

If you decide to keep an eye open for a vintage injector, on auction sites, it pays to get your searches set up with email notifications. As it happens, the other day I woke up at 5 am, checked incoming stuff, and saw a BIN PAL for £9.50 plus £3.30 postage. A closer look revealed that it was new, still in the unopened cellophane-wrapped box, with a full blade dispenser. About 3 minutes later, I'd bought it.

If, by the way, this sounds like "teaching granny to suck eggs", then I apologise.

GEM Featherweights are a vintage non-injector SE, and rather different to the ones hitherto discussed.

I am leaning more towards Colonial at the moment when I have some cash as they look beautiful and use those very sharp Japanese blades.Also a big SE fan on a sister forum raves about them. The injector heads look (especially with the double blade) like the cheaper Gilette disposables like a Sensor Excel. Do injector blades glide like a DE blade?

I'll check out featherweight but no idea what it is @Bezoar. I need to wait for monies anyway lol.

When one looks at the various low (-er) cost options available for SE razors using AC blades, I have to give the blue ribbon to the Colonial.

The machining is first class, albeit simple. The shave is (to me) a perfect balance of comfort and efficiency. The manufacturers are beyond excellent to deal with, and stay active on forums letting people know what is happening.

It is also a pretty lightweight razor, (right around 45 grams) so you may need to be prepared to factor in the cost of another handle if that is where your preferences run. I have been rather surprised by how well it shaves for its weight. I find it much more efficient than the Hawk, which weighs in right around 40 grams.

As far as the glide and comfort difference between DE and SE, I don't know if SE's glide any better, but I find them so much more comfortable that I have all but stopped DE shaving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When one looks at the various low (-er) cost options available for SE razors using AC blades, I have to give the blue ribbon to the Colonial.

The machining is first class, albeit simple. The shave is (to me) a perfect balance of comfort and efficiency. The manufacturers are beyond excellent to deal with, and stay active on forums letting people know what is happening.

It is also a pretty lightweight razor, (right around 45 grams) so you may need to be prepared to factor in the cost of another handle if that is where your preferences run. I have been rather surprised by how well it shaves for its weight. I find it much more efficient than the Hawk, which weighs in right around 40 grams.

As far as the glide and comfort difference between DE and SE, I don't know if SE's glide any better, but I find them so much more comfortable that I have all but stopped DE shaving.

Interesting facts about the Colonial weight. It's not far off the Alumigoose, which is 50 grams, and which, in all honesty, I think I prefer to my stainless version. I used to get a bit fussy about handles, weights and sundry permutations, but can't get too excited about that nowadays; with the result that I have a box of 3rd party handles in various metals and weights that don't see much action. I just wish the post would hurry up with my Colonial, as your comments make me even more eager to give it a go.

Interesting facts about the Colonial weight. It's not far off the Alumigoose, which is 50 grams, and which, in all honesty, I think I prefer to my stainless version. I used to get a bit fussy about handles, weights and sundry permutations, but can't get too excited about that nowadays; with the result that I have a box of 3rd party handles in various metals and weights that don't see much action. I just wish the post would hurry up with my Colonial, as your comments make me even more eager to give it a go.

I am a little fussy on weight with the AC and DE razors, because I prefer to shave with the "no pressure" approach, and I really don't like to do any kind of buffing strokes with an AC type of blade.

By those standards, I found the Hawk to be a bit of a disappointment with the factory handle, but to be an excellent shaver after I switched to a 100mm, 85 gm handle. That is part of the reason I am so enamored with the General, because even being so close in weight to the Hawk, it just feels much more substantial, and would shave the sand off of sandpaper.

there is a massive difference in how they shave compared to each other. Even if you put a DE blade into a SE head, like say a 1912 the shave is different...

The best way to describe the feather weight is like having a fatboy set on 5, but with the weight of an aluminum handled zamak head travel tech.

I see that the opening bid £4.99 / postage £5.50 gold and black handled cased PAL on eBay went with a top bid of £7.50. It looked in quite good nick, and although the post was a bit on the high side, I personally would think that an all-up price of £13.00, from a UK vendor, made it a reasonable buy.

I see that the opening bid £4.99 / postage £5.50 gold and black handled cased PAL on eBay went with a top bid of £7.50. It looked in quite good nick, and although the post was a bit on the high side, I personally would think that an all-up price of £13.00, from a UK vendor, made it a reasonable buy.
At that price it was a very good buy, always good to see a case, even if the case has wear the razor may well be good.

the market on vintage SE razors is odd at the very least.

Some days you can find that new, unused, gem featherweight or g bar with "guiding eye" in the original box with the original shipping pamphlet for 5 dollars. And other days youll see rusted, bent, broken feather weights or partially crushed g bars sell for 30.

Back
Top Bottom