Acquisitions wc Mon 28th June - Sun 4th July incl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst in Ikea spotted this to replace my cereal bowl shaving bowl

4745146455_70f3d70c1a_m.jpg

£2.99 called Sorla.

I have no intention of using the saucer but it's a set so had to take it.

simmo3801 said:
Also plumped for some Proraso shave soap as a second from Connaughts ebay shop.

Sorry what do you mean as a second?

A second item or am inferior batch?

Sorry I might just have picked you up wrongly......... :roll:

No you're right, there were two for sale listed as seconds, one had small crack in the lid, and the one I went for has "An extra contents label stuck on the side (contents new and undamaged)"

quattrojames said:
simmo3801 said:
Also plumped for some Proraso shave soap as a second from Connaughts ebay shop.

Sorry what do you mean as a second?

A second item or am inferior batch?

Sorry I might just have picked you up wrongly......... :roll:

No you're right, there were two for sale listed as seconds, one had small crack in the lid, and the one I went for has "An extra contents label stuck on the side (contents new and undamaged)"

I got the other one.

Ah ok thanks. Had me worried there as I bought a tub of Proraso from Connaught on ebay before paying full price so was a bit concerned when you said second, but all clear now!

Ta

As I Said Earlier Went to Kempton Antiques Fair this morning, picked up a Gillette Tech, and a Boxed 1949 Rhodium Plated Gillette Aristocrat "No 22" Set, both for £12.00 !

1-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Two more brushes to add to my blog arrived today. More gifts from my daughter in Dallas obtained from American sources. 'nuf said.

The Savile Row 3824 is one of the QED best sellers with a knot of 24mm and a loft of 54mm. Thought to be excellent value at around £87 inc delivery to Dallas. I guess it depends what you compare it with. This is graded as Finest Silvertip.

The Thater 4125 is described as Finest badger and is a highly rated German brand. Quite a small brush with a handle of just 42mm. Knot/loft are 22/48mm. This was £81.

First impressions are very good. Very basic packaging - I'm happy with that although surprised bearing in mind the prices. Both brush heads feel very soft but have good backbone. I will be interested in how scritchy they become when used.

Something I took particular note of is that I should stop fretting about the quality of the New Forest brush logo which sometimes has a little bit of lettering that is a bit faint. Both these high end brushes had slight logo imperfections. The Thater has two spots which look like a bit of paint splatter. A famous German brush maker clearly doesn't have the sort of quality control system that one should expect when paying these prices.

SR3824.jpg

d563b76e.jpg

I would not quote me on this but I remember reading a while back that they changed the dimensions of the 3824 from the one I got a few years ago. At the response of user request I think they reduced the loft ever so slightly and I would agree; mine is slightly taller and very much a "painting" brush but it is still a lovely experience to use it and I enjoy it as a full face of badger...ooooo eeerr missus...where is the Rev or PC when you need them.

Did you navigate the new QED site (much improced) or just email him. He is very good to talk to and I got a QED Bergamot shave stick, works quite well and Bergamot is a different (but nice) smell when you fancy a change.

I emailed QED because I wanted to pay by paypal and have it shipped to Dallas. I did that to get the 3120 and therefore had an account set up before I placed the recent order.

I know he was reluctant to reduce loft sizes. He responded to customer demands making clear he wasn't particularly pleased about it. He must be satisfied with the effect on sales!

I kind of like that, slightly cantankerous but not completely unbending, it shows some passion in his beliefs but as you say I am sure he is delighted with the sales, I believe the 3824 is still the best seller, if they were more widely available I think they would sell like hot cakes, the cost is good and the quality is high.

I will dig mine out and measure the loft I am sure it is 24 knot but can't remember the loft exactly but am sure it is a couple of mm higher.

I´m such a sucker, why did I buy this? I don´t know anything about it, but it sounded good: "You are bidding for a RARE LEATHER VINTAGE 4 SIDED CHINESE RAZOR SHARPENER. Its a square shaped sharpener with each side having a purpose for cut throat razors, grinding, setting, stroping and finishing. The sheath and handle is leather. Its been used but still in very good shape." Ebay no: 150457841798 I saw it this afternoon and didn´t have time to ask Neil :roll: Well, sometimes you get a lucky shot ...
!BwD+8JwCWk~$(KGrHqN,!iMEv1+z1J3HBMHQl(F0W!~~_12.JPG
!BwD+9cQ!2k~$(KGrHqJ,!jYEv1+0FPMLBMHQl,uCV!~~_12.JPG

sunburyboy93 said:
Went to Kempton Antiques Fair this morning, (up at 6am eergh :cry: ) but well worth the trip, picked up a Gillette Tech, and...................
(Drum Roll)...............a Boxed 1949 Rhodium Plated Gillette Aristocrat "No 22" Set, both for £12.00......pics to follow soon

Great Googa Mooga, Sunbury!

You're certainly hitting the shaving finds fast and furry-less these day! Grats.

Yeah at £12 that is robbery...I hope you put a fiver in the nearest orphans home charity box :lol:

Two good finds, this and the one from the shaving kit......stick a lottery ticket on your cards are coming up just now.

Audiolab said:
Yeah at £12 that is robbery...I hope you put a fiver in the nearest orphans home charity box :lol:

Two good finds, this and the one from the shaving kit......stick a lottery ticket on your cards are coming up just now.

Yep, thos two were great scores, but i can go weeks, months, with nothing close to that.

Hope the luck keeps going though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom