Acquisitions w/c Mon 4th - Sun 10th June incl.

Dave.B said:
Picked up another FB last week of the bay other day it was on a BIN for $20 plus p&p but it's condition didn't look brill but because it was cheap i could get it replated if it needed it. had to fetch it from PO other day but it turns out a good scrub and a bit of polish and it was near as good as new.....

Hi Dave,

That looks pretty good, and the price was right. Yeah, the best thing a seller can do for a buyer is to not try and see what the razor's condition really is. Over the years I've found many Fatboys in the wilds of Illinois, and more often than not they clean up well.

I find myself a little skeptical now when I see one, mainly because I've seen more than a few where something's not quite right. Sometimes it's the blade gap, sometimes the adjuster dial being off somehow. Saw one Tuesday in fair shape for $18, which means $15 in real terms. The adjuster dial was jammed and I didn't feel like taking a chance on a successful fix. If it was in otherwise great condition and very shiny it would have been a done deal and see what happens.

So I'd bet yours is fine, but just for the hell of it, check and see if the blade gap's even with the safety bar. You already know to twist that last 1/4 turn to lock the blade in place.

Martin.

dodgy said:
Hi Dave,

That looks pretty good, and the price was right. Yeah, the best thing a seller can do for a buyer is to not try and see what the razor's condition really is. Over the years I've found many Fatboys in the wilds of Illinois, and more often than not they clean up well.

I find myself a little skeptical now when I see one, mainly because I've seen more than a few where something's not quite right. Sometimes it's the blade gap, sometimes the adjuster dial being off somehow. Saw one Tuesday in fair shape for $18, which means $15 in real terms. The adjuster dial was jammed and I didn't feel like taking a chance on a successful fix. If it was in otherwise great condition and very shiny it would have been a done deal and see what happens.

So I'd bet yours is fine, but just for the hell of it, check and see if the blade gap's even with the safety bar. You already know to twist that last 1/4 turn to lock the blade in place.

Martin.

Thanks Martin yeah i checked before i started cleaning it up to make sure it all aligned up and adjusted right it wouldn't have been worth any effort if it was a junker from the get go...

I got quite lucky with it as when it was listed i contacted the seller about a cheaper postage option as it was a bit on the high side and he said he'd ship it 1st class. he also said he was going to raise the price as he was led to believe it was a FB but would honor the price put if i was happy to use the BIN option which i was...

Clear Handled H.I.S. Synthetic Brush

7167421055_540c974248_h.jpg

See more here:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-13975.html

Just had a turkish shave at our local place.
I had a chat about the duru on the shelf and was told to go next door as it was sold in there. picked up a bottle for £3 and an Arko post shave cream. Will hopefully use them tomorrow.

Today I acquired...
Fatboy (passround, thanks very much)
Tuxedo AS (trial from Martin, thanks very much) Just used it for first time. Niiice
More Harlequin AS (From Martin)
Harlequin soap (from Martin).
50 Gillette 7 o'clock yellows from ebay.

Not a bad haul for one morning.

5 vintage Schick injector blades. My Bleues turned up yesterday so I have another 80 to add to my stock. I am thinking of having a strict list of things I can buy as there are a few things recently I could have bought instead of the Bleues but glad I didn't.

Palmolive soap stick .45p :blush:

bought it to give it a go after seeing many good comments on here and tell you what, it's rather good :exclamation:

I got myself a minty US Aristocrat. I don't know why, it wasn't very cheap and I rarely use DEs nowadays, but some models I can't resist (Aristos, all kinds and a couple of others).
025794x800.jpg

Mikael said:
I got myself a minty US Aristocrat. I don't know why, it wasn't very cheap and I rarely use DEs nowadays, but some models I can't resist (Aristos, all kinds and a couple of others).
[

Hah, I kinda know what you mean.

Some of the assorted Aristocrats/Diplomats in the arsenal:

Attachments

• Aristo selection 005 (Small).jpg
    Aristo selection 005 (Small).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 1941 Aristo group 001 (Small).jpg
    1941 Aristo group 001 (Small).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1955 Diplomat and case 001 (Small).jpg
    1955 Diplomat and case 001 (Small).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 1955 Diplomat and case 005 (Small).jpg
    1955 Diplomat and case 005 (Small).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 18
20120609247.jpg

This gets a thumb's up from me (good tip Mikael)

20120609249.jpg

Wanted to try a 5/8, so went for this from the invisible edge, very nice, got some history with these blades, good value at £51.00. thanks steve.

20120609251.jpg

My parker Frontier GT Fountain pen from France £12.49p new, converter, and ink (all from amazon)

That Parker Frontier GT is a great pen, I like it a lot!

Today I went to a flea market in Lisbon...

DSC00160.jpg

...ooooh, that little box seems very interesting...

P1060285.jpg

...and inside...

P1060286.jpg

:icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

It seems to be one of the many variations of the Gillette British Aristocrat #16 (1948-1952). The weigh (82g) seems to confirm this. How lovely she is! :heart:

The box is nice outside, but a disgrace inside, full of rust. But the razor came out really nice after some cleaning. For only €4, I think I did quite good! :cool:

P1060288.jpg

Back
Top Bottom