Acquisitions - September 2022

Here's something a bit different. There's a chap who owns a very small company called JJ Shaves. He's started to do replating as a hobbyist and takes orders. I corresponded with him by email and he's a lovely chap. He's given my Tech and Fatboy a.new lease of life with a tune-up and new nickel plating. The pictures don't do them justice.

Some of you will also remember my brass Stando Rod SE razor:

He's also plated that in nickel for me and polished it. Looks fantastic and is now one of a kind.

View attachment 92939

View attachment 92938
Your not helping my Stando Rod envy.

Here's something a bit different. There's a chap who owns a very small company called JJ Shaves. He's started to do replating as a hobbyist and takes orders. I corresponded with him by email and he's a lovely chap. He's given my Tech and Fatboy a.new lease of life with a tune-up and new nickel plating. The pictures don't do them justice.

Some of you will also remember my brass Stando Rod SE razor:

He's also plated that in nickel for me and polished it. Looks fantastic and is now one of a kind.

View attachment 92939

View attachment 92938

Super job! Likewise, I had a Gillette Goodwill plated by JJ Shaves and I'm very happy indeed with the results. Moreover, he took time throughout the process to give options and advice ... I had asked that if it turned out to be all brass once stripped, I'd like it left at that, but it turned out to be part brass and part weird alloy. He also offered me a period handle that he had kicking about as it was without such.

Lovey job! But, I'm going to punch you in the nuts for plating raw brass. Fancy giving this vandal a punch, too @TobyC ?

Super job! Likewise, I had a Gillette Goodwill plated by JJ Shaves and I'm very happy indeed with the results. Moreover, he took time throughout the process to give options and advice ... I had asked that if it turned out to be all brass once stripped, I'd like it left at that, but it turned out to be part brass and part weird alloy. He also offered me a period handle that he had kicking about as it was without such.

Lovey job! But, I'm going to punch you in the nuts for plating raw brass. Fancy giving this vandal a punch, too @TobyC ?
I did smile when I thought of Toby's response to this

Nah, we all have our preferences, even if they are misguided, if we were all the same we wouldn't have anything to argue about. ;)

A Goodwill that wasn't brass??? I've never seen such a thing! Which part was funky?

Very interesting! I wonder if it might be German silver? That would be easier to plate than aluminum or zinc alloy, and would be fine with no plating.

It was plated before - likewise, top of the cap only. Just tatty with age. From the underside it does look cast rather than stamped. Before sending it for plating, a simple polish with Peek brought that underside back to "dull shiny" as you see it in the picture. Having left the razor for maybe a year before looking at it again, no further tarnish ... where my brass and (real) silver razors had taken one some oxidisation and tarnish. From the looks of the plate on the topside of the cap, it certainly took well to plating. I'm not sure how else to test the German Silver theory apart from drop some acid on it!

It was plated before - likewise, top of the cap only. Just tatty with age. From the underside it does look cast rather than stamped. Before sending it for plating, a simple polish with Peek brought that underside back to "dull shiny" as you see it in the picture. Having left the razor for maybe a year before looking at it again, no further tarnish ... where my brass and (real) silver razors had taken one some oxidisation and tarnish. From the looks of the plate on the topside of the cap, it certainly took well to plating. I'm not sure how else to test the German Silver theory apart from drop some acid on it!
Just use it, that's what it's for. Or get it brass plated!

I thought to myself, I've got plenty of Tech razors and I'd already picked up a couple of flare-tips, 1 x US one and 1 x Brit one. I'd already bought my brother a black handled birth year one and liked it, so I got one of them.
Then I thought, Blue and Red......I NEED one each of those too! I use the term need in the most general sense of the word, but I did need them!!! :D
I'd been outbid a couple of times for a few red-tips on the Bay, so when I was bored searching the Bay again (Mrs D was watching some complete tosh on telly) and saw what looked like an excellent condition red-tip from the seller in the US that I'd got my brother's birth year one from, I thought bugger it!

The B-4 red-tip is indeed in beautiful condition (as described), so much so, that I think it has been reconditioned.
The C-2 blue-tip is a bit manky with plenty of green crud on the underside, but the doors open OK and it has minimal patina on the doors themselves; mechanically, seems sound enough and a blade looks to sit OK, so, some cleaning up to do.

Whilst I was on there, also saw my birth year Tech, for $9, so that went in the basket. I can say, it's in cracking nick for just over £8 and I can use any handle on it really if this one proves too short!

Am away for a couple of days, so don't know whether I'll leave these until the weekend to try out after a bit of a clean.

Attachments

• IMG_20220906_144814__01.jpg
    IMG_20220906_144814__01.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220906_144826__01.jpg
    IMG_20220906_144826__01.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220906_144835__01.jpg
    IMG_20220906_144835__01.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220906_152057__01.jpg
    IMG_20220906_152057__01.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220906_152111__01.jpg
    IMG_20220906_152111__01.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220906_152145__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20220906_152145__01__01.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220906_152156__01.jpg
    IMG_20220906_152156__01.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220906_152212__01.jpg
    IMG_20220906_152212__01.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220906_152227__01.jpg
    IMG_20220906_152227__01.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 7
Lucky to find this Wilkinson 1903 Pall Mall roller, silver plated, and in amazing condition including wedge blades, strop and stropping tool.
Looking forward to giving it a run soon, but will use a GEM blade not hollow ground wedge as I’m still working on my honing technique. :)View attachment 93059
That was pointed out to me but it was way beyond my means. BIG Congratualtions !!

Back
Top Bottom