Acquisitions - January 2024

Ooh! Good call! Just bagged a No.88 soap as well ... years since I used that soap. I knew I used to put something in that lovely Trumpers Eucris shaving bowl ... sure as shhh ain't a Trumpers soap! C&S, it is!

Bah! It's a dud. But, I think we knew that ... I just forgot and got giddy.

See: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/bluffers-guide-to-british-triple-milled.59374 for a growing guide on British triple-milled.

Foamy and unstable lather ... but with a wet razor, there is some good residual slip rather than the judderiness that you get from Trumpers. For body and possibly head shaving it might well be okay to wet the skin rub the soap on directly and shave. For our face shaving ritual it's very disappointing. Pass it to the Mrs for leg shaving? Fine if you like her smelling like a moody vampire.

Bah! It's a dud. But, I think we knew that ... I just forgot and got giddy.

See: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/bluffers-guide-to-british-triple-milled.59374 for a growing guide on British triple-milled.

Foamy and unstable lather ... but with a wet razor, there is some good residual slip rather than the judderiness that you get from Trumpers. For body and possibly head shaving it might well be okay to wet the skin rub the soap on directly and shave. For our face shaving ritual it's very disappointing. Pass it to the Mrs for leg shaving? Fine if you like her smelling like a moody vampire.
Bollocks

View attachment 115867

I've been wanting a Bay Rum of the British triple-milled type for some time, but could never bring myself to purchase from a company with such a proposterous named as Captain Fawcett ... well, I suppose it has a slightly better ring than Seaman Sink!

I know @Satanfriendly periodically raves about this stuff and it is practically the same formulation as DR Harris ... and so I relented. Scent is olive, fig and bay, and I like it! It's slight, it's subtle, it's everything the scent in a shaving soap should be rather than the usual dump of cloying yuck that normally goes into scented candles. Yeah! Test lather proved it will be highly enjoyable.

I found a suitable rosewood bowl to pop it into and it fit perfectly. Again, can't quite bring myself to buy into their branded bowls, what with that silly name emblazened upon the lid. I've repurposed the bowl from the Dalit Sandalwood soap, which isn't right cracking as a soap but I'm glad I made the purchase which goes to supporting that cause: https://www.dalit.co.uk/ < looking again, I don't think they do the rosewood bowl any more, but the soap can be cut 2 parts to 1 part known good soap and generate a sound lather while retaining the honest sandalwood and neeam scent.

Good to read your words so far. Yes, I do rave about it even of I did buy in to the OTT wooden bowl.

Hope you find it behaves when it comes down to the acid test

Another brand I have not heard of before. Sounds intriguing - off for a mooch!

Well worth the mooch

Tally-ho - 3p Italian mandorla shaving soap.

Almond is one of my favourite scents. Been aware of 3p for quite some time and yet to try it. Finally pressed the button when ordering some blades.

Big fan of the La Barbiera website t'boot. Great prices.

View attachment 115924

Superb performing soap. I think the last time I used it, it made my face burn. If it didn't, I'd buy that soap in the 1kg block!

Backup puck of vintage Boots, which I think is from the 1990s or 2000s, given the weight is only in grams and there's a mandatory ingredient list.

ABLVV87hxXKTY-dOg4L-DrtN_okppsWP7sP08Rkj-s2s77d2H5r1EARpWsSX0Xr_LHJ9CsNBSJYNqDu7_JdNvtLw0Yz1OeoZ2hycic93erp-tzqIE9gHNFTbHcYREMiU54vc3QvCn_8btyDbpzxyHOacQQxl-A=w800

ABLVV85kIg8dwg-qYWcPQMy-JjCFy4m80TfoQxm6-OZ1f8UjdhSZyYnzaxs-IS9vcB1XOY9mINxMzUk-S4ZVbDkgoFOBDFaEWsKpNaq6ghZpIq4aWRujD-RekV7OIeB5gln-kj77CLmVyGVs6_LwpjXmOE5Jmg=w800

For the ingredients geeks, it's:
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum, Dipropylene Glycol, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Limonene, CI 77891

... which is practically the same as Carthusia:
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Palm Kernel Acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Parfum (fragrance), CI 77891

... and very similar indeed to DVH
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerine, Aqua, Kaolin, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum, CI 77891, Titanium Dioxide, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Limolene, BHT, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde & Coumarin

... related to Muhle
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Palm Kernel Acid, Aqua, Parfum (Fragrance), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate

... and, of course, Edwin Jagger
Aloe Vera - Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Limes & Pomegranate - Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Palm Kernel Acid, Limonene, Parfum (Fragrance), Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Linalool, Citral, Coumarin, CI77891.

Sandalwood - Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene, Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

... if anyone fancies a puck but can't find a vintage Boots.

Last edited:
12x Arko shave sticks and 100x Astra Superior Platinum.

I already have 11 Arko sticks but whenever I use one I am impressed how good the performance is and only the smell and packaging reveals the price.

I know there are a few people who don't like Astras but I've always got on well with them. Again I forget how much I like them till I use them. There are better blades but they are cheap and readily available, and I'm curious to see if these will be Russian or Indian.

12x Arko shave sticks and 100x Astra Superior Platinum.

I already have 11 Arko sticks but whenever I use one I am impressed how good the performance is and only the smell and packaging reveals the price.

I know there are a few people who don't like Astras but I've always got on well with them. Again I forget how much I like them till I use them. There are better blades but they are cheap and readily available, and I'm curious to see if these will be Russian or Indian.
The sticks and blades arrived.

The Astra do say made in India so I'll give one a try in the next few days and see if I can notice any difference.
It could be my imagination but the Arko sticks don't seem to smell as strong as they used to. Same scent but a bit less overkill. Might just be a cold coming on

Back
Top Bottom