Acquisitions - January 2024

Couple of things from the Czech & Speake sale and a bowl from Connaughts for the soap View attachment 115834

Ooh! Good call! Just bagged a No.88 soap as well ... years since I used that soap. I knew I used to put something in that lovely Trumpers Eucris shaving bowl ... sure as shhh ain't a Trumpers soap! C&S, it is!

Last edited:
I've come across negative feedback regarding the C&S soap after the Valobra era, so I'm eager to know about its performance. Oxford and Cambridge remains one of my all-time favorite scents, and I have an unused and unboxed puck in my collection. I'm curious if they have any plans to create cream versions of their scents, similar to the tubs offered by Trumper and other brands.

I've come across negative feedback regarding the C&S soap after the Valobra era, so I'm eager to know about its performance. Oxford and Cambridge remains one of my all-time favorite scents, and I have an unused and unboxed puck in my collection. I'm curious if they have any plans to create cream versions of their scents, similar to the tubs offered by Trumper and other brands.

Damn it! Yes, it's a sodium only formulation.

It bears a scant resemblance to current Culmak further down the ingredient list but in all is unlike any formulation that I have recorded. I suppose there's the proverbial "we'll see" ... but my hopes are starting from a pretty low place. Bah!

IMG_3938.jpeg

I've been wanting a Bay Rum of the British triple-milled type for some time, but could never bring myself to purchase from a company with such a proposterous named as Captain Fawcett ... well, I suppose it has a slightly better ring than Seaman Sink!

I know @Satanfriendly periodically raves about this stuff and it is practically the same formulation as DR Harris ... and so I relented. Scent is olive, fig and bay, and I like it! It's slight, it's subtle, it's everything the scent in a shaving soap should be rather than the usual dump of cloying yuck that normally goes into scented candles. Yeah! Test lather proved it will be highly enjoyable.

I found a suitable rosewood bowl to pop it into and it fit perfectly. Again, can't quite bring myself to buy into their branded bowls, what with that silly name emblazened upon the lid. I've repurposed the bowl from the Dalit Sandalwood soap, which isn't right cracking as a soap but I'm glad I made the purchase which goes to supporting that cause: https://www.dalit.co.uk/ < looking again, I don't think they do the rosewood bowl any more, but the soap can be cut 2 parts to 1 part known good soap and generate a sound lather while retaining the honest sandalwood and neeam scent.

Name and branding aside I enjoy their fragrances. I got a sample set of half a dozen scent for Xmas and like all of them; one I already have and two are on my 'to buy' list.

View attachment 115867

I've been wanting a Bay Rum of the British triple-milled type for some time, but could never bring myself to purchase from a company with such a proposterous named as Captain Fawcett ... well, I suppose it has a slightly better ring than Seaman Sink!

I know @Satanfriendly periodically raves about this stuff and it is practically the same formulation as DR Harris ... and so I relented. Scent is olive, fig and bay, and I like it! It's slight, it's subtle, it's everything the scent in a shaving soap should be rather than the usual dump of cloying yuck that normally goes into scented candles. Yeah! Test lather proved it will be highly enjoyable.

I found a suitable rosewood bowl to pop it into and it fit perfectly. Again, can't quite bring myself to buy into their branded bowls, what with that silly name emblazened upon the lid. I've repurposed the bowl from the Dalit Sandalwood soap, which isn't right cracking as a soap but I'm glad I made the purchase which goes to supporting that cause: https://www.dalit.co.uk/ < looking again, I don't think they do the rosewood bowl any more, but the soap can be cut 2 parts to 1 part known good soap and generate a sound lather while retaining the honest sandalwood and neeam scent.

4F3FFFA0-82BF-4903-ABDC-F3E0E5A705FF.jpeg
Saw this, used, on flea bay and couldn’t resist. Around £20 new on eBay and Amazon and even £15 on AliExpress after taxes and delivery - and here it was at less than a tenner!
Ok, so I actually already have one Sagrada Familia. But in mitigation it is a 22mm and this is 24mm. And as with all of these Yaqi brushes, no two are identical. Here it is with it’s smaller, AliExpress special, brother.
5DCDFEB1-B3EA-47C0-B946-26411B5073C8.jpeg
See, completely different your honour!

Back
Top Bottom