Closed 1912 SE Pass Around

Thank you for the add. Silly question time.....Does the razor come with the odd blade? I've never used a single edge razor before. Not totally sure which blades to get or where them from for a SE. In the spirit of the pass arounds, always happy to add blades - just not 100% what and where to get from.....

Thank you for the add. Silly question time.....Does the razor come with the odd blade? I've never used a single edge razor before. Not totally sure which blades to get or where them from for a SE. In the spirit of the pass arounds, always happy to add blades - just not 100% what and where to get from.....

There are a few blades with the razor. And your quite right they are odd [emoji2]

I usually recommend that the member from abroad reimburses the member in the UK the additional posting costs. That way it is up to them to make the decision if it is worth it.
Agreed, 1912s can be had quite cheaply in decent condition.
French EBay is full of Star 1912s..It will be far cheaper to buy one over there for sure than 2 way postage..The Postage to the EU can be slow unless you pay through the Nose an All..;)

Billy

It's a nice shaver all right, the "buttering toast" noise about sums it up too! There are still plenty of blades to move forward. I hadn't tried the PAL blades yet though. I may feel brave at the weekend!

Very super crazy mental light pressure needed with a new blade. It might feel a bit ruff for the first 1 or 2 shaves then it'll settle down. These razors leave a 'deep clean', 'dolphin skin' feeling even if ya haven't achieved a magical 100% BBS. I like the result but never found them to be a comfortable shaver.

Be aware the angle is very different to DE. A few YouTube bids might be an idea :)
Here's what I do with any razor I don't know:
Put the head of the razor flat on the back of your hand, move it along slowly and tilt the handle. When you start feeling the blade you know what angle to start with. With the 1912 you won't have to tilt the handle a lot. The head will almost, but not entirely, be flat on your face. Quite intuitive I find.

I posted this on SOTD not knowing the form so I thought I should probably post it here if nothing else just to let @alancrab know the razor is safe and well and how my first encounter went.so

First shave this morning with the 1912 SE pass around, loaded up with a GEM blade and used one of my favorite soaps.
What can I say, I found the cutting angle to be very intuitive, lovely BBS results without a great deal of bother. I now understand the reference to scraping toast, wow this is one noisy razor. The only issue I had was the area directly beneath my nose, the size of the head and the required cutting angle combined with the small sections at each side of the razor where the blade is covered by the location lugs meant that I could not get to those irritating bristles under the snozzle until my third pass ATG.
Overall very please with my first attempt and I understand there is learning curve to navigate so hopefully I shall find an easier route around the nostrils in the next few days.
Also I have been led to believe that the PAL blades are somewhat more aggressive so I may leave them alone this time around.
Hopefully load a photo of tomorrow's setup.
One last thing, my beard is relatively soft and I shave every day. Can anyone give me an indication as to how many shaves I can expect to get out of this GEM.

Many Thanks

Cheers

I posted this on SOTD not knowing the form so I thought I should probably post it here if nothing else just to let @alancrab know the razor is safe and well and how my first encounter went.so

First shave this morning with the 1912 SE pass around, loaded up with a GEM blade and used one of my favorite soaps.
What can I say, I found the cutting angle to be very intuitive, lovely BBS results without a great deal of bother. I now understand the reference to scraping toast, wow this is one noisy razor. The only issue I had was the area directly beneath my nose, the size of the head and the required cutting angle combined with the small sections at each side of the razor where the blade is covered by the location lugs meant that I could not get to those irritating bristles under the snozzle until my third pass ATG.
Overall very please with my first attempt and I understand there is learning curve to navigate so hopefully I shall find an easier route around the nostrils in the next few days.
Also I have been led to believe that the PAL blades are somewhat more aggressive so I may leave them alone this time around.
Hopefully load a photo of tomorrow's setup.
One last thing, my beard is relatively soft and I shave every day. Can anyone give me an indication as to how many shaves I can expect to get out of this GEM.

Many Thanks

Cheers
For the area under the nose I kind of ignore the proper angle going downwards. My method is to start just under the nose with the head parallel to the floor and then with no pressure! I tilt the head downwards towards the lips, hence shaving the area. This felt very scary the first time I tried it, but it works for me. YMMV and you might slice off your face.
I find that I can easily do 5 four pass shaves with a GEM, a total of 20 passes. So if you do three passes, expect to get 6 to 7 shaves out of a blade, maybe even more.
The 1912 is a lovely beast. So much more handsome than a DE razor :p

Thank you Andreas,
I shall try your method tomorrow, if I do not post then you can assume that I have bled out in the bathroom!!!!
I agree that the 1912 is thing of beauty, so much so I bought this from a respected member of this forum.

DSC_0251_zpssozlmrxb.jpg

I hope my purchase was not too impulsive.
Once again thanks for the advice.
Cheers

For the area under the nose I kind of ignore the proper angle going downwards. My method is to start just under the nose with the head parallel to the floor and then with no pressure! I tilt the head downwards towards the lips, hence shaving the area. This felt very scary the first time I tried it, but it works for me. YMMV and you might slice off your face.
I find that I can easily do 5 four pass shaves with a GEM, a total of 20 passes. So if you do three passes, expect to get 6 to 7 shaves out of a blade, maybe even more.
The 1912 is a lovely beast. So much more handsome than a DE razor :p
I chuckled about this. 'How complicated' I thought.
Promptly forgot about it.
Wandered off for a shave.
I am just playing with my 1912 as well.

Well, that is EXACTLY what I do.
I would like to apologise for my mental derisive snort and swap it for admiration of a well explained technique.

Back
Top Bottom