14 jan onWards .. Temporary closure of Transmissions...

RE: 14 jan onWards .. Hyper-drive help needed...

Hi de hi!!

New razor so quick update.
This is one of the "spare part" razors that Gillette was known for.  It has the 1946-1947 un-abbreviated version "PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE" on the inside of the base plate, and the 1948-1950 notched center bar and square shaped clam shell case with the faux pig skin covering.
It's in 7 to 8 out of 10 for conndition. Some blems here and there but plating good.
Case intact but rough.
Used with a nacet.
Heck. Over confident!!!
7 yes 7 weepers.
I noticed after two passes that the tricky swirly bit under my jawline was smooth so not sure why I tried for a third under the chin.
Us I have interview for job tomorrow!!!
I will use #16 tomorrow. Then back to aristocrat.
I've used a diplomat. And it wasn't as aggressive as this.
I wonder if these are a little more aggressive than the later ones?
Speak soon
Blake.

RE: 14 jan onWards .. Sheesh!! 1946 USA Aristocrat bites back!!!

Slick said:
Hi de hi!!

New razor so quick update.
This is one of the "spare part" razors that Gillette was known for.  It has the 1946-1947 un-abbreviated version "PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE" on the inside of the base plate, and the 1948-1950 notched center bar and square shaped clam shell case with the faux pig skin covering.
It's 7 yes 7 weepers.

I will use #16 tomorrow. Then back to aristocrat.
I've used a diplomat. And it wasn't as aggressive as this.
I wonder if these are a little more aggressive than the later ones?
Speak soon
Blake.

Hmmm, that don't sound so hot Slimbo,

First thing I'd hope for would be a new dud blade being the problem, otherwise it gets complicated. I'm guessing you checked the blade gap too for everything being kosher and even

I don't believe that particular Aristo era had any weirdness going on with the razors, although yours may have a small run tweak that most others wouldn't. Yeah, it's possible the tolerences were off just a smidge when the razor was made......who knows. Cripes, I hope the Aristo hasn't gone 'rogue' on you.

Most of the Aristo/Diplomat/President types should shave about the same, so that tells you something right there. In my case, those types are a good fit, but once in a while I try one that's just not quite right for me. When that happens I usually sell em off. Then every so often I find one that fits me especially well, and will also usually sell em but with regret....heh. The best of the best performers are keepers, of which I have a couple Aristos, a Diplomat or two, and a Prez. Matter of fact, dizzydrunk has my other Prez, and it fits him better than me.

Maybe it's just chance, but the Aristos I ended up keeping are the 1946-47 no notch types. For whatever the reason, they just seem to fit me a little better in general, although not all of em are like that.

Sheeeesh, I guess what I'm saying is you might like to sell the Aristo and don't worry about trying another one from the same era. Odds are whoever buys that will probably end up enjoying the thing more than you.

Klemel

Talk about 'odd parts', here's a pic of a 1956 Diplomat with a silver colored TTO knob.

Attachments

• diplomat 2 tone 001.jpg
    diplomat 2 tone 001.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 6

Thanks Dodge I will give it some more outings.
If I am lucky it will become a close two pass razor...otherwise....actually I do find some Gillettes a little under aggressive and have sold a few as a result. That said there are some that hold a particular place in my heart....
Cheers
Yrs
Time

Ok I deserved it.
Must be me I thort.
Can't be my lovely USA aristocrat can it
I mean whats the harm?
I won't get weepers again will I?
And as I am going for a job interview this afternoon
What can possibly go wrong?
Yes I did.
I now have actual loo paper stuck to my face...
Itll look better by four.
Checked the razor. Head fine. Doors fine.
Balde gap fine.
It is one bity bastard.
I shall try a different blade although Nacets are one of faves.
Silly sod.
I so nearly went for a saloon blade in the #16.
Ego 1. Timslick 0.
Cheers
Tb

Slick said:
Can't be my lovely USA aristocrat can it
I mean whats the harm?
I won't get weepers again will I?
Checked the razor. Head fine. Doors fine.
Balde gap fine.
It is one bity bastard.
Tb

Yep, it happens. The Prez I sold to pissingdrunk was a bit like that for me, which I told him before selling it. Turned out to be a good fit for him though, which isn't surprising when you think of it. We all have our druthers I guess.

Slikki, it's time to make that Aristo go away. Get past the denial stage and go right to the acceptance (sell) mode. Someone will love it just as it is. Heh, I wish I had a nice one for you, but you've wheedled about everything outta me already.

Kunista

OOOoooooo blade change for the Aristo in a desperate attempt to make it MINE!!!
YES MINE>>>>>ALLL MINE!!!!
Ahem.

Saloon blade Wilkinson sword India (Ta Dipesh)
I know this to be a smooth and sharp blade not a super super unforgiving but effective blade like the Nacet.

Better!!! One slight tiny tiny red bit on my adams apple.
But I could the trim of every whisker!!!
It's in red tip territory or a Progress on 3 or 4 (or 1 actually!) or a gillette on 6 or 7.
The up side is that it leaves me unrashy which has been the case with the two red tips, USA and English that I have tried.
So Its irritation free.
I will have a play with this for a while and see how it shapes up.
One things for sure...it's good close shaver!!
Then its off to BST!!!
Yrs
TB

RE: 14 jan onWards .. Bity bastard a little better..

090106_testcard.jpg

You two guys just won't learn. After 1918 there were darn few 'good Gillette's made in the US. A few of the adjustables and the red tip Superspeed are well thought out, but profits started to overtake engineering and bling out did design.

Back
Top Bottom