14 jan onWards .. Temporary closure of Transmissions...

Having signed in as a newbie i'm really on a learning curve.
Using kit from trad shaving co
Merkur 34c HD (they must be knocking a few of these out)
Jagger sea buckthorns
Jagger black badger
Derby blades
It's going well do far. Mostly I love the routine and care I take over my face. I've gone from a quick wipe with a Mach 3 to finding out about something really enjoyable and in the mornings I feel great!!
Fab really. It's taken 30 years to realise this.
I feels likeim really concetrating at the mo. Taking it careful. It's not as smooth as mach3
Yet!!
But it's ok.
Most Of all I like it!! It's good to look after yourself.
'the men march another five miles aday after a good shave!'
Cheers
Tim.

Re: 14 jan 2011. New to de shaving. Face still intact...

Slick said:
Having signed in as a newbie i'm really on a learning curve.
Using kit from trad shaving co
Merkur 34c HD (they must be knocking a few of these out)
Jagger sea buckthorns
Jagger black badger
Derby blades
It's going well do far. Mostly I love the routine and care I take over my face. I've gone from a quick wipe with a Mach 3 to finding out about something really enjoyable and in the mornings I feel great!!
Fab really. It's taken 30 years to realise this.
I feels likeim really concetrating at the mo. Taking it careful. It's not as smooth as mach3
Yet!!
But it's ok.
Most Of all I like it!! It's good to look after yourself.
'the men march another five miles aday after a good shave!'
Cheers
Tim.

Great post Tim.

I think that just about sums up why I'm into this DE malarkey.

Taking it careful. It's not as smooth as mach3

Yeah, my first results were average but it's amazing how technique develops quickly... you'll be smoother than with a cartridge within weeks.

really enjoyable and in the mornings I feel great!!

There's half the point right there, it's nice to do something properly. Smoothness follows, just keep enjoying. :)

I agree, it's something I truly enjoy from the hot towels for the preshave to the Lime creams or different types of soaps and to the actual work of using the DE razor. All things being said and done, I find that all of my other hobbies are much more expensive and less enjoyable!

Nice one Tim! Stick to that set-up for a good couple of weeks and get used to it before you make any changes. Then you can tell if a different blade or soap has made a difference to your shave. :D

[/quote]

Great post Tim.

I think that just about sums up why I'm into this DE malarkey.[/quote]

+1

Its' probably the reason most of us are.

Turk said:
I agree, it's something I truly enjoy from the hot towels for the preshave to the Lime creams or different types of soaps and to the actual work of using the DE razor. All things being said and done, I find that all of my other hobbies are much more expensive and less enjoyable!
You wait, that will come back and bite you in the ass! Unless you collect gold bullions/fighterjets/limosines/diamonds, in which case you did a good job taking up wetshaving instead :D

Max

Pig Cat said:
Nice one Tim! Stick to that set-up for a good couple of weeks and get used to it before you make any changes. Then you can tell if a different blade or soap has made a difference to your shave. :D

Thanks for the advice.
MUCH better shave this morning!!!
Even my family were surprised I was still intact....
Have got nice routine going. Plus I love getting up!!
Cheers,
Tim

Slick said:

:cool: I remember a few weekends not long after learning to use my new razor, soap and brush when I slowly woke up with a really nice feeling of expectation for a really enjoyable shave. On one level this sounds ridiculous, but shaving is a regular part of a chap's life and it is such a shame that it is regarded at best with ambivalence.

Pig Cat said:
Slick said:

:cool: I remember a few weekends not long after learning to use my new razor, soap and brush when I slowly woke up with a really nice feeling of expectation for a really enjoyable shave. On one level this sounds ridiculous, but shaving is a regular part of a chap's life and it is such a shame that it is regarded at best with ambivalence.

Well this sums it up nicely!!
Today I had a great time and getting up is no longer a chore but a delight. Used Fatboy (I know I'm already changing stuff against good advice) dialled in 5 (4 yesterday) mama bear soap, face lather and gillette bleue extras.
Fatboy much easier to use! (though getting good results with 34C). I cannot believe I am shaving with something nearly the same age as me! FAB. I feel really good about myself.
Cheers,
Tim.

Great stuff.
I started off thinking 'get a few types of blades and stick with them'. Managed this fine for a while but when I saw the sheer range of blades out there I slowly subconsciously made it my mission to try out as many as I could!
I thought, what's the point in people buying lots of razors? Surely you only need one good one? I have 6 now and appreciate each one's strengths and weaknesses, and have discovered a fetish for vintage Gillettes and the Ever Ready single edge razor.
I was happy enough with shaving gel goop in a can for a long time after getting into the DE routine, and was almost put off for good when I bought some Wilkinson Sword soap in a bowl from Asda, but persevered with cheap, effective creams like Erasmic and Ingrams, and then wanted to try more, and more, and more. I love these creams and Trumper's lime (cream and soap), and the Boots range of creams and soaps really lather well and are probably worth more than they sell for.

It is a slippery slope, but such an enjoyable and surprising one!

Best of luck with it all!

Fido said:
Welcome Slick

You started an uplifting thread. Sort of makes one feel normal. Clearly a kindred spirit.
Cheers Fido!,
without getting to prosaic about it (oh I just did!)
Here is a quote from a guy I am a big fan of, Carl Rogers (educationalist)

"I want to talk about learning. But not the lifeless, sterile, futile, quickly forgotten stuff that is crammed in to the mind of the poor helpless individual tied into his seat by ironclad bonds of conformity! I am talking about LEARNING - the insatiable curiosity that drives the adolescent boy to absorb everything he can see or hear or read about gasoline engines in order to improve the efficiency and speed of his 'cruiser'. I am talking about the student who says, "I am discovering, drawing in from the outside, and making that which is drawn in a real part of me." I am talking about any learning in which the experience of the learner progresses along this line: "No, no, that's not what I want"; "Wait! This is closer to what I am interested in, what I need"; "Ah, here it is! Now I'm grasping and comprehending what I need and what I want to know!" Carl Rogers 1983:

There got that out...I think what he's saying here is that it the journey Vs destination argument (process Vs Product)
I guess I am interested in what the journey. The destination, that is a smooth shave is a delightful bye product of what is really enjoyable, all the other stuff!! Its a lifestyle choice. (quote Adam who has just walked into the office!!)
Back to work.
Cheers.
Timslick.

Dear Diary of a new shaver.,
used Fat boy and bleues all last week. Set phaser to 6 after trail and error and this seems great. Have had great shaves all week. Face now getting accustomed to being loved...
Am hand/palm stropping blades!! Used the same blade all week and then Sunday after 2 days growth used again! All fine. Really neat shave. So I think it works. Got bored with blade and ditched as I wanted to back to 34C.
Monday. 34C and bleue. Proraso (white tub). A great shave but I think the Merk is more aggressive and takes more care/skill to use. I feels like the blade is more exposed than 6 on the fat-boy. I am not sure I would recommend this to a new shaver even though it is by default the razor of choice for this purpose.
I will continue with the Merk for this week and see what transpires..
Sunday night entered competition for razor set from James.
Monday morning have won!!! Thanks guys. Money to red cross.
Have taken delivery of cheap 7 o clock yellows from the bay of pirates. Next week for these I think.
Does everyone overstock ????
Cheers,
Timslick. :)

Re: 14 jan 2011. New to de shaving. palm stropping!!

Dear Diary
Merk
Bleues
Jagger Sea Buckthorn ( I get a great lather with this must be good for hard water areas)
Jagger black badger

Experiment
First pass done. Gently now. All good. Merk really needs a light touch.
Palm strop.
Second pass really smooth. (I realise there was less beard!)
NO nicks or cuts.
No third pass. I have fair hair (used to have!!!) and fair skin.
Does anyone else out there palm strop or am I alone (again...)
Slick.

Back
Top Bottom