Your worst purchase?

Apart from 200 supermax which I will use I havnt made one, I've bought razors I don't like ans managed to pass on, and most of my soaps I've used at some stage

Helveticum said:
EJ shaving soap.

Really? The EJ/Muhle sea buckthorne scent was one I liked a lot. Sort of a fruity mango thing going on. The performance wasn't bad at all.

Strange you didn't care for it, let alone post about it in this dud thread.

You never know with this goofy 'hobby',

Martin

Palmolive brushless shaving cream, that came in a red carton. It left a slimy film on my face, turned a black Wilkinson Sword Classic razor nearly white due to the residue, and was a terrible cream to shave with. It also stank.

antdad said:
Pecksniff's shaving soap/cream whatever it is....shite.

Got a tube of this at Xmas - even more shite as a shower gel.

Trumpers West Indian Lime skin food - no smell after .008 of a second and a tight face - ymmv of course.

Helveticum said:
Derby blades and EJ shaving soap.

Same here. I got the EJ Sea Buckthorn soap and I just can't lather it. A mate bought it for me from the EJ place in Sheffield as he works round the corner from there so I really wanted to enjoy it but it's dreadful. Love the smell of it though just a shame I can't get on with it.

As for Derby blades. Oh dear.

I would also add the Body Shop brush - if I actually used it. It came in a shaving set I had for Xmas and I love the shaving cream and face wash but I took one look at the brush and just decided there was no chance I was going to use it. sit it next to an Omega 80080 which is a cheap brush and the BS brush just looks pitiful.

dodgy said:
Really? The EJ/Muhle sea buckthorne scent was one I liked a lot. Sort of a fruity mango thing going on. The performance wasn't bad at all.

Strange you didn't care for it, let alone post about it in this dud thread.

You never know with this goofy 'hobby',

Martin

I LOVED the smell of that EJ Aloe Vera, it's really incredible, but performance wise.. Alas :dodgy:
The Muehle Buckthorne sample you've sent me (which I appreciate a lot!) was the same story - great scent, good skincare, but zero protection. Maybe I should blame Tabac/Speick stuff for spoiling me.

Helveticum said:
The Muehle Buckthorne sample you've sent me (which I appreciate a lot!) was the same story - great scent, good skincare, but zero protection. Maybe I should blame Tabac/Speick stuff for spoiling me.

Hmmm, wasn't the sample I sent you a cream? Maybe not........my brain is a little squishy these days.

flip-68 said:
knayton hall soap from tk maxx - load of crap.

it did propel my interest in DE shaving and getting some better stuff so it wasn't a total loss.

Glad I read this thread - I saw some in my local TK Maxx only yesterday and was umming and ahhing. You've settled my indecision. I was wondering if it was a rebadged Creighton's product and a bit of an unknown gem. Seems more of a rough diamond.

Cheers,

Jon

Wilkinson Sword Shaving Soap in the blue bowl

I got the same thing. I think it smells nice (generic blue goo sort of scent) but it's translucent and the puck feels like rubber. You need an electric whisk to beat any lather out of it then when applied to the face it is like watery bath suds :icon_razz:.

Unfortunately it put me off of shave soaps because I thought they'd all be like that. 12 months later after only buying creams and I finally took the plunge and bought a shave shop soap. Boy how wrong I was and oh how I'd missed out! It made me realise just how bad the Wilko one is.

Oh well, it's available cheap in supermarkets so if it gets more people into real shaving then it's all good!

SuperChrome said:
Oh well, it's available cheap in supermarkets so if it gets more people into real shaving then it's all good!

No - that's the whole point! They want to steer you away from real shaving and get people buying Hydro Gel and 5 blade razors. It's a subtle anti-marketing ploy :D

Back
Top Bottom