Your worst purchase?

I recently went through a bit of an eBay phase and ended up with at least 2 entirely unusable razors due to simply not looking closely enough at the pictures for the glaringly obvious missing bits.

What's everyone's worst shaving purchase? There must be one stand out cock up we all have in our repertoire.

Erasmic stick x 4. Murder polis - I have rocks in the garden that lather better.
Edwin Jagger Super Badger Super Shedder Brush from a member on here - would've be a decent brush if it didn't shed like an mangy, flea bitten cat.

Erasmic stick, Palmolive stick and cream and an Arko stick, they all are good performers, except the erasmic but they are stinky!
I also over, over paid for a couple of beyond help straights on eBay.

I bought, in my early days, what I thought was a Gillette Debutante (probably before I knew of the fantastic mr-razor site). It was about £15 I think. The handle was a ball end Tech and the base plate was something that looked like an Edwin Jagger and the head said Velvet! It sort of fitted together ok but when I added a blade it wouldn't screw shut. The case was near immaculate which was the only reason I didn't send it back (maybe a bit odd but the inside looked almost mint and the outside pretty good as well).

Recently bought some yellowed but cellophane-wrapped English Wilkies. Although sealed it wasn't a waterproof one. Most were corroded badly; some on the blade edges and some not, but I'm not sure I want to risk the few that looked like the edges were ok.

Been a few razor disappointments too but not because they were damaged or mis-described, just didn't suit me. Probably the most disappointing recent acquisition (although not expensive) was my WS Sticky. Nice razor but far too mild for me. A few of the most beautiful razors, like the No. 66 Aristocrat and the 58, just feel draggy and not particularly close at any angle. The 58 was a very kind lend from Dodgy but I paid £60 for the 66. I hung on to that for ages as I fixed the lazy door myself using French Blade's help and wanted to make it work for me. It had a tiny bit of plate loss near the nob and some light scratches to the head but was otherwise excellent. I planned, and did, used it on my wedding day with a Super Iridium.
I ended up getting my money back even though I thought it'd go for much more. If I'd had a spare Gillette case - not necessarily the right one - at that time and stuck some Gillette Blues with it, and advertised on US ebay not just UK ebay, I'd probably have got much more, I realise now, and the value goes up and up.

I brought a rather attractive 'Gillemme' razor recently from eBay - didn't really read it properly and rather think it would take the skin off your face - so haven't used it yet and probably won't! At least it was cheap!

Anyone fancy trying a gillemme razor?

(New) Coates Shaving Cream.

How a company could take such a well regarded name and product and ruin it so spectacularly within such a short time is quite beyond me. It burned pretty much anyone who tried it.

Yes, I know you're reading this.

Edwin Jagger Black Badger Brush as well, it came with my DE starter kit and i used it for about 6 months.

Only after buying a Simpson did i realise just how bad it was, up until then i thought all badger brushes were super floppy and lathering took that long.

joe mcclaine said:
(New) Coates Shaving Cream.

How a company could take such a well regarded name and product and ruin it so spectacularly within such a short time is quite beyond me. It burned pretty much anyone who tried it.

Yes, I know you're reading this.

Couldn't agree more with this Vinny

Scswalex said:
I brought a rather attractive 'Gillemme' razor recently from eBay - didn't really read it properly and rather think it would take the skin off your face - so haven't used it yet and probably won't! At least it was cheap!

Anyone fancy trying a gillemme razor?

Gillemme? Now my interest is piqued, any pics? I like aggressive!

Alex

ChopperHarris said:
Neale's yard soap is a disappointment for me - especially as it's not cheap. Great smell, quite sloppy but no substance to the lather at all. Their balm is pretty good though.

I have to agree its pretty poor i bought some a year or so ago and it was just crap so i had a half stick of palmolive and erasmic and grated it all into a bowl it works ok i just don't use it very often it sits on the shelf as a reminder to not buy any again...

Back
Top Bottom