Your ultimate YMMV moment

Feather blades - I've used DE and the larger SE and find both to be very smooth and have not any problems. Just wish they lasted a bit longer than 2 shaves.

However, with the Feather long SE - I've gone back to Pro Guard in my Cobra and Feather DX. I find that I get a much better shave from a standard straight razor but can't bear to part with either of the two that use the Feather.

Three for me.

Face-lathering with a Kent brush - love it I even used a hard soaps such as Tabac, MWF and C&E and still get a great lather and it's just sooooo soft.

Merkur 37c slant. why the fear of slants ? I get the most comfortable and smoothest shaves from this razor, wish I had bought one earlier. Thing is a pussycat. a nice soft gentle pussycat at that.

Supermax stainless. the cheapest blade out there and I always get two great shaves from them which is one more than a Feather.

Actually just thought of a fourth one - Wilkinson Sword blue bowl soap. No idea why so many struggle with it, Been using it for 4 years now and still in my rotation and still gives good shaves. Not saying it's the best out there but really don't understand why so many struggle to even lather it.

Astra green blades. Most seem to like or love 'em whereas I find them awful face scrapers. Gillette Yellows just the same.

Polsilvers/Super Iridiums. Why all the fuss and expense? Distinctly average for me and certainly not better than a modern Perma-Sharp at nearly half the price for a ton.

EJ DE89 razor types. Everyone seems to start with one or own one at some point then sell it on but it's my favourite and most consistent razor and even though I'm attempting to grow a beard, I'll certainly hold onto mine if only for trimming a neck line.

Trumper's Coconut soap. Seems to get a lot of stick and although I do have lovely, soft, Scottish water, the lather is great. Maybe I just got a good batch or an older formulation?

Palmolive stick. Very cheap and for most, a great performer but I hate the smell and it dries my face out. However, I have since discovered that whilst my face seems to love lanolin, it is less tolerant of tallow.

ARKO! Once she loved me and I her but then she turned fouler than a foul thing on a foul night and we cannot now be in the same room together!

Face lathering _ burns the top layer of my face off.
Others I would say blades but every one is totally different on them

Would have to be DE shaving for me. Didn't give me as close a shave as the straight razor so I have settled on the straight. Been almost 9 years now and have never looked back.

Cartridge razors. Never caused me any great hassle before I started using a brush, and now cause me even less.

The way that some people talk about them you'd think that they'd fell out of Satan's arse pipe.

Ian

Feathers - so what
Arko - nice smell!
MWF - easy to lather
Gillette Old > Gillette New
Omega new recipe soft soap is still the best of the soaps and creams I've tried.
I could probably think of a few more.

stevec said:
personna reds - slash fest.

While they don't give me cuts, the Personna red is my ultimate YMMV selection. They seem particularly revered on US-centric forums, but I found them rough and uncomfortable. By contrast, and this also counts as a YMMV, I like the Indian Gillette/Wilkinson Sword Saloon blades. They're not especially sharp, but they I find them very smooth and forgiving in my 34c.

chrisbell said:
stevec said:
personna reds - slash fest.

While they don't give me cuts, the Personna red is my ultimate YMMV selection. They seem particularly revered on US-centric forums, but I found them rough and uncomfortable. By contrast, and this also counts as a YMMV, I like the Indian Gillette/Wilkinson Sword Saloon blades. They're not especially sharp, but they I find them very smooth and forgiving in my 34c.

+1 on the Saloon blades

Unusual likes:

Derby blades - I've always liked them. In fact they seem to be having a revival on TSR lately so the bad rep here is maybe fading.
Real Shaving Company cream - Great performer for me.
DE87 - Everyone seems to go for the 89!

Unusual dislikes:

Floid "the Original" - Stinks like the indside of Barbara Cartland's handbag.
Lilac Vegetal - Ditto
And I'd better not moan about Rooney brushes again!

Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream - cheapish and oft revered - but not by me. I gave it another whirl today - it lathers but, for me, there's absolutely no cushion or glide. Worst shave since .... well, since I last used it (a few weeks ago). Face rest tomorrow methinks.

Back
Top Bottom