Your Top 3 DE Blades ?

I was just about to do that but you've saved me the trouble, Omp :D

Nice little straw poll, thanks for your votes and useful extra info, gents.

I like Rapira, Polsilver, Voskhod, and Lab Preps. In some razors I find that Feathers and Astras (yes!) work well.

However, I've just received 100 Nacet Stainless from Jordan, and these are a superb blade; at least in my Digress.

Generally, I have good experiences with anything Russian, but Indian blades like Supermax are, for me, simply dreadful.

I like Rapira, Polsilver, Voskhod, and Lab Preps. In some razors I find that Feathers and Astras (yes!) work well.

However, I've just received 100 Nacet Stainless from Jordan, and these are a superb blade; at least in my Digress.

Generally, I have good experiences with anything Russian, but Indian blades like Supermax are, for me, simply dreadful.
My experience is very similar, and I would add Sputnik to the St Petersburg list of great blades. The real revelation for me has also been Nacet Stainless, a super-smooth from the first cut blade that I get 5 superlative shaves from.

Feathers are a bit much for me, though on the other hand I got on well with Indian-made 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (aka 7 O'Clock Black)...

Last edited:
Though not overly fussy about blades my favourite 2 are no longer in production (Polsilver Stainless and Gillette Swedes). As for current production I wouldn't say I have any particular favourites - my current stock are a random selection that came with a razor purchase from BST.

My favourite list is:
1) Kai Stainless Steel (difficult to find but I discovered a new online store recently)
2) Feather stainless steel
3) Personna Med Prep

Hi Andy
May I ask the name of the on line store for Kai blades. Feather are my favourite in my DE89 so I would like to give Kai a go. Thanks.

Hi Andy
May I ask the name of the on line store for Kai blades. Feather are my favourite in my DE89 so I would like to give Kai a go. Thanks.
Hi Marcus!
Sure, I recently discovered this online store which sells only blades and has low shipping costs: https://www.razorbladesclub.com/
I think they are also selling exactly the KAI blades on amazon.de (but I'm not sure it's cheaper once you factor in the shipping costs to UK). In case you try them on your DE89 I would be really curious to know your opinion :) Thanks for asking :)

Hi Marcus!
Sure, I recently discovered this online store which sells only blades and has low shipping costs: https://www.razorbladesclub.com/
I think they are also selling exactly the KAI blades on amazon.de (but I'm not sure it's cheaper once you factor in the shipping costs to UK). In case you try them on your DE89 I would be really curious to know your opinion :) Thanks for asking :)
Another option is this web site.

Another option is this web site.
Hi riverrun. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I actually used to order now and then from tryablade, but for my needs (that is, being in Europe and mostly using double edge razors), razorbladesclub fits the bill better: I found it has cheaper prices per blade, cheaper shipping and very fast delivery (ordered twice and received every time in three days). The selection, on the other hand, is smaller than in tryablade. As usual in shaving, YMMV :)

Hi riverrun. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I actually used to order now and then from tryablade, but for my needs (that is, being in Europe and mostly using double edge razors), razorbladesclub fits the bill better: I found it has cheaper prices per blade, cheaper shipping and very fast delivery (ordered twice and received every time in three days). The selection, on the other hand, is smaller than in tryablade. As usual in shaving, YMMV :)
I was not endorsing the site, just pointing out an alternative. Personally I'd go for some blade sampler packs as prices on both sites seem a bit steep. If you are after a specific blade, those sites might be worth a try though. I have not used either. I've found my blades. :D

SE seem to be making a come back and many people claim they get a better shave from it... Do you have any idea why DE razors have been more successful so far?
Of course I do... Gillette had an early success with their DE blades that didn't need stropping and then killed off the competition with all the money they made. Then they killed of DE blades in favour of cartridges with all the money they made. Cartridges are now way more successful than DE. Doesn't mean that they are better. For me (YMMV) SE razors are even better than DE, problem is that (with few exceptions) they are no longer being produced while you can still buy DE razors. Luckily SE blades are still available.

Back
Top Bottom