Your Top 3 DE Blades ?

The DE blade arena is a big amorphous blob where it's difficult to see the wood for the trees sometimes (or that's the way it feels to me anyway). Although dependent on other factors, not least the razor in hand, it might help to get a handle on the best performing blades if members could nominate their favourite three desert island DE blades. Let's stick to currently available blades rather than NOS exotica. Maybe we could put the results into somekinda graph.

Could you post your top three as

1. Favourite
2. Next favourite
3. Third favourite

Mucho gracias :)

Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus & the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless tie for first for modern production blades.

Gillette Platinum & Silver Blue tie for second.

All the other Made in Russia Gillettes for third.

Most of these are so close as to be purely subjective opinion regarding any differences.

I did make a sort of list of "10 Blades You Must Try Before You Die" (Buzzfeed stylee) elsewhere in the hereabouts:

http://theshavingroom.co.uk/communi...choosing-the-blade-for-you.35412/#post-514878

They were:

Feather
Derby
Wilkinson Sword 'black box'
Astra Superior Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
Personna med prep (or maybe labs)
Bic Chrome Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellows)
Perma-Sharp Super
Polsilver Super Iridium

I'm way too inexperienced to pick my top three, so here they are ... ;)

1) Feather
2) Wilkinson Sword 'black box'
3) Personna med prep? Voskhod? Shark?

I genuinely think it takes a couple of years to fully get to grip with the whole DE experience. Especially blades/razor combos. Anyway my two penn'orth:

1. Personna Reds
2. Polsilver
3. Gillette Yellow

The search for the best performing blade is futile, like the best performing brush.
Ya can however decide what you like best after trying a few.

My bulk stash now consists of Polsilver SI, GSB and Rapira Swedish Super Steel.
For sharp smooth blades Polsilver and GSB are up there as good as any.
The Rapira SS are a very good smooth mid range blade.

Between the three I'm covered.

I am another in the in the inexperienced boat to contribute fully, that said my top 3 blades (used with 34c and futur)

1. Voskhod
2. Astra Stainless
3. Wilkinson - black

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom